Welcome To ShotTalk.com!
We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.
Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!
General Golf Talk
Heres the counterweighting story as best I know it:
• Golfsmith conducted a test in 2004:
– Over 30 testers, a mix of Harvey Penick teaching pros and students
– Age range about 40 to 80 years
– Handicap range scratch to high mid-handicappers
– Two test drivers used:
• Both 10.5 degree loft with a Spine Aligned, 65 gram graphite “R” flex shaft at 45 inch length
• Clubs were identical except one had a 65g butt weight
• Swing weights were D2 and B3 respectively
• Butt weighted average club swing speed 2 mph higher, launch angle 1 degree higher, and carry distance was 9 yards more
• Over 70% hit counter-weighted club farther
• Average distance gain was 14 yards
• 15 of 23 testers gained more than 5 yards
• Directional accuracy was improved
Why did the butt weighted club appear to be better?
• At the time no one could explain it in a way that most golfers and club-fitters...