• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

“Forced” to buy a Laser DMD

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Yes, it happened. I bought a Bushnell Tour X laser distance measuring device.

As some of you may recall I have a Garmin Approach G6 GPS and love it. It’s very accurate, light and the list goes on.

But then fate intervened. My club has two x 18 hole courses. One of the courses has been affected by the loss of 4 holes 2 years ago due to land resumption for nearby road widening. The club has been operating two tees on that course as a stop gap.

The club is about to undergo a complete reconfigure of both courses over a two year period to get 2 x 18 holes back. The club plans to ensure that 3 x 9 holes are available during the reconfigure period.

The upshot for me? My Garmin GPS won’t be effective during the two year period of the reconfigure.

I don’t plan to get rid of my GPS at this stage. I’ll see how things go. But yes folks, I’ve entered the ranks of those annoying, sneering fvckers who claim that their laser is sooooo much better than “your” GPS.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1513455618.906987.jpg

Last edited:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I love my laser.

I've never personally used a GPS style device during a round myself, although I have played with plenty of guys that use them and I feel like they're great tools as well. Laser does double duty for me though, golf and hunting. So it made more sense for me to go with that.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses IMO.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I'm a Garmin guy right now.

Thanks PapaD. I am too. Cannot fault the accuracy and the ease of use of mine.

I’ll certainly post my thoughts from time to time.

One positive I’ve noticed about the laser pin seeker so far relates to something that affects us all - eyesight and age. I have a light reading glass prescription but don’t take my reading glasses on course. A GPS is in the “reading glasses” zone but in contrast looking through the laser viewfinder doesn’t involve the same eyesight issues. Everything is crystal clear.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Have really enjoyed my GPS. Cheap Bushnell "Ghost" but has performed quite well. In our group, we have about 3 different brands of GPS devices. I don't think any of them read the same. Mine has been within a yard of lasered distances. I can't hit it any closer than that!!! One of the guys has a GPS watch... don't know what brand... and it is always 5 yards or more shorter distance reading than my Bushnell.

Whether laser or rangefinder, I believe the secret is using a single device and learning the yardages from THAT device and how it complements your clubs. The guys in our group who don't have a GPS and just ask someone that does may not get the same reading tomorrow, hitting from the very same spot.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Mine has been within a yard of lasered distances.

That’s been my experience with my Garmin GPS, Limp. It has a feature where you can drag the Pin indicator to that part of the green display where the pin is situated. My distance readings hardly differ from playing partners. One yard or less most times. BUT I do believe that you get what you pay for. I wouldn’t trust a cheap no-name brand GPS.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I have A Garmin G5 handheld in VA. Good, accurate, reliable unit with no subscription requirements.

In FL, I have a $100 VoiceCaddy. It's a little, rechargeable unit that clips to my hat, shirt, shorts,etc. Just press the top and a sexy female tells me how far it is to the green center. Press twice for front, rear green distance. Just audio. No subscription and it has 40,000 courses loaded. Just turn it on when you arrive and "Golf course detected "

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I have A Garmin G5 handheld in VA. Good, accurate, reliable unit with no subscription requirements.

In FL, I have a $100 VoiceCaddy. It's a little, rechargeable unit that clips to my hat, shirt, shorts,etc. Just press the top and a sexy female tells me how far it is to the green center. Press twice for front, rear green distance. Just audio. No subscription and it has 40,000 courses loaded. Just turn it on when you arrive, and "Golf course is detected ".
rainorshinegolf.com/products/voice-caddie-vc300-voice-golf-gps-rangefinder?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn0NAwj8aJ4O_uWjbsaw9sHh8zXAfikpuiskktJxDSWW6UfsHTVRYaYaApvcEALw_wcB
The "VoiceCaddy" sounds like what 3 guys in our group have. They touch the thing on the bill of their cap and it carries on a conversation with them.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
The "VoiceCaddy" sounds like what 3 guys in our group have. They touch the thing on the bill of their cap and it carries on a conversation with them.
Pretty handy unit if you know your course layout and just need distance. 2 years now and it's working fine, wherever I take it. Rechargeable unit just plugs to wall via mini USB.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Pretty handy unit if you know your course layout and just need distance. 2 years now and it's working fine, wherever I take it. Rechargeable unit just plugs to wall via mini USB.
My little Bushnell Ghost will go 3 to 4 rounds without recharging. I try to remember to recharge after ever one or two rounds so when I forget it'll still work. Came with a USB charge cord which I just plug into the 110V adapter.

Our course has always had posts on both sides of the fairway marking 200, 150, and 100 yards from the center of the green. Many of the sprinkler heads also have yardages tagged on them. Our new greens super does not like "obstructions" and we are doing away with the posts. Going to plaques in the center of the fairway at 200, 150, and 100. Adding painted yardages on the cart paths. Every year we have drunken idiots... or us old guys who can no longer see... run into the posts and break them. The plaques and paint should keep the bumper of my cart in better shape!!:D We took the posts out a few weeks ago while waiting on the plaques to arrive. No one gripes or probably even notices. So many playing this game, especially the die-hards playing this time of year, have GPS or rangefinders.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Can you update the courses on the VoiceCaddy?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Initial testing report: I took the Bushnell to my local golf practice facility.

I tested the “jolt” function on all of the practice green flags. It worked really well.

I also like the Dual Display option. The red option works really good in low light.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1513550146.179837.jpg

More testing results to come, no doubt.

🔥 Latest posts