• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

10 finger grip

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Anybody here ever mess with a 10 finger grip? I've been an overlap guy forever. Never liked the interlock at all. I've been a bit erratic of late so I gave it a try today at the range. I gotta tell you, it felt pretty good and I hit it pretty well. Gonna have to try it some more.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
You're talking about the baseball grip? That was my first grip when starting lessons but it was always understood that I'd move to one of the other two once I became proficient with the basics. I eventually moved to the Vardon grip.

Last edited:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
It helps if you need to incorporate more right hand into your swing...

I hit better shots when I use the overlap and swing correctly so that I don't need a lot of right hand to hit good shots.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
You're talking about the baseball grip? That was my first grip when starting lessons but it was always understood that I'd move to one of the other two once I became proficient with the basics. I eventually moved to the the Vardon grip.
It's my understanding that the difference between the 10 finger and the baseball grips is in the baseball the thumbs wrap around the grip while in the 10 finger they run along the grip.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It's my understanding that the difference between the 10 finger and the baseball grips is in the baseball the thumbs wrap around the grip while in the 10 finger they run along the grip.

Ok. Got it. [emoji108]

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've played the 10-finger grip from when I first started playing this dastardly game. I've toyed with the Vardon and interlock. Have never been able to get comfortable with either. One of my goals this year is to play the Vardon grip through the Spring, seeing if playing it long time I can get used to it. Always looking for a tweak that will take off some strokes.

Played one entire round with a guy who used the 10-finger grip... left hand low. How he got the club back and through is beyond me. But, he played quite well. Wasn't it Moe Norman who used a 10-finger grip with the hands actually slightly apart?

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Give it a go! I used a baseball grip when I first got started. I had no one to show me anything different. I think it worked fine.

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I don't know about being apart, but he did use the 10 finger grip.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've played this game for almost 50 years. Started with the interlock "because Jack Nicklaus used it". Hated it. Felt like my fingers were in a knot. Then when to the Vardon and everything started feeling good. Didn't try the baseball or 10 finger grips until a couple years ago and started hitting severe duck hooks although they felt good! :D Back to the Vardon again and still shoot my best with it which still is not very good.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Back to the Vardon again and still shoot my best with it which still is not very good.
You play quite well!! You had a GREAT year on the course. We are so lucky, at our ages, to even be able to play this frustrating game. Many either have already left this Earth or their health won't let them do anything like swing a golf club. But, we always look for something to shave those couple more strokes off the score. Really, WBL... if you want my advice, you need to begin looking for a couple of new drivers to try out this season, a couple new putters, and a few wedges!!!!:D:D

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Always been double overlap, four fingers from the top, two fingers from the bottom hand

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I think I may have used them all? I know when I first started just hitting shots in backyards, I used the 10-finger baseball grip. When my game progressed onto a course, someone told me my thumbs should run down the shaft of the club. With the bottom hand covering the top thumb...

Growing up in the TW era, a lot of my golfing buddies used an interlock grip, so I experimented with it as well. Didn't last long! One round and half a range bucket later, I was done with that. Bringing me to the Vardon grip, that I use today.

Moe Norman used a 10-finger grip, thumbs down the shaft. Like all of us though, he tried it all!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Always been double overlap, four fingers from the top, two fingers from the bottom hand
Are you saying that you overlap 2 fingers instead of 1? That's how I putt. Only the middle finger, index finger and thumb of my right hand touch the grip.

🔥 Latest posts