• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

18-22 handicapper need lighter irons

Golf Hack 68

Jan 5, 2019
Idaho
Country
United States United States
Hi, am 68 years old, have had multiple low back and neck fusions, am currently playing Adams CB3 forged irons with KBS Tour 90 shafts, but find them a little too heavy to consistently get through the shot. Am looking at used sets Titleist DCI 822 O/S and Bridgestone GC O/S, both sets have cast heads with Nippon NS Pro 950 shafts. Appreciate your opinions on these 2 clubs that am considering with a limited budget, if this isn't a good option, may consider graphite shafts for the current irons. My only experience with graphite shafts was with a set of Cleveland CG4 irons, but felt too light, was fighting overswinging.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If I were you, I'd certainly try some graphite shafted irons. Sounds like the body isn't real fond of vibration/shock. The graphite shafts will dampen any vibration as much as possible. There are different weights of graphite shafts. Once playing the graphite for some time, you may get used to them. It will, probably, take a few rounds before they feel "right". Tour Edge makes some low cost graphite shafted irons. This time of year, many players are trading clubs getting ready for next season. Begin shopping the used bins, etc. Callaway Pre-Owned has their irons on sale right now. That 40% off sale ends in the next day or two.

OP
G

Golf Hack 68

Jan 5, 2019
Idaho
Country
If I were you, I'd certainly try some graphite shafted irons. Sounds like the body isn't real fond of vibration/shock. The graphite shafts will dampen any vibration as much as possible. There are different weights of graphite shafts. Once playing the graphite for some time, you may get used to them. It will, probably, take a few rounds before they feel "right". Tour Edge makes some low cost graphite shafted irons. This time of year, many players are trading clubs getting ready for next season. Begin shopping the used bins, etc. Callaway Pre-Owned has their irons on sale right now. That 40% off sale ends in the next day or two.
Thank you for your input. I forgot that I briefly played with a set of Tour Edge E-8 Exotics irons with Matrix Red Tie shafts. It was a super game improvement club and like hitting everything with a hybrid or croquet mallet effect and (for me) didn't work well with the short irons, so I sold them to a friend of mine. I did like the shafts though and still play with them in my Adams XTD hybrids so will check the Callaway Pre-Owned site. Appreciate your response.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Thank you for your input. I forgot that I briefly played with a set of Tour Edge E-8 Exotics irons with Matrix Red Tie shafts. It was a super game improvement club and like hitting everything with a hybrid or croquet mallet effect and (for me) didn't work well with the short irons, so I sold them to a friend of mine. I did like the shafts though and still play with them in my Adams XTD hybrids so will check the Callaway Pre-Owned site. Appreciate your response.

Limp gave the best advice. Good luck in your search!

OP
G

Golf Hack 68

Jan 5, 2019
Idaho
Country
Although considering the earlier advice regarding graphite shafts, would still like input on the Bridgestone GC OS and Titleist 822 O/S irons. From what I understand the Nippon shaft is also lighter weight and with the cast heads of either of these irons the overall weight of these clubs may be lighter and easier to swing than the forged clubs I currently use. Again, appreciate your help.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
My only experience with graphite shafts was with a set of Cleveland CG4 irons, but felt too light, was fighting overswinging.
I switched to graphite for pain mgmnt reasons and they solved that problem. The decrease in weight caused the feel problem you described and it does require some time to adjust your tempo to the lower overall heft of the clubs.

OP
G

Golf Hack 68

Jan 5, 2019
Idaho
Country
Would still like input on the Bridgestone GC OS and Titleist 822 O/S irons, as from what I understand the Nippon shaft is lighter weight and coupled with the cast heads of these irons may be overall lighter and easier to swing than the forged clubs I currently use. Appreciate your help.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Would still like input on the Bridgestone GC OS and Titleist 822 O/S irons, as from what I understand the Nippon shaft is lighter weight and coupled with the cast heads of these irons may be overall lighter and easier to swing than the forged clubs I currently use. Appreciate your help.
I could certainly give you advice... on something of which I know nothing! :D In the, literally, dozens of sets of irons I've owned/played over the years I have never played Bridgestone irons and have never played the Titleist 822's. I, also, have never had a set with the Nippons. I'm currently a big fan of KBS shafts. Nick (FWS) plays the new KBS that is graphite but has the stability of steel. He really has had good experience with those.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Ive owned a number of Cobra sets with Nippon shafts. They do feel softer than other brands of steel but IMO, they can't come close to the shock absorption of graphite.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Haven’t played either iron head and I’m a certified iron ho. But have had Nippon shafts on occasion. Great shaft but as Limp said I’m gaming the KBS TGI (graphite) shafts and they are amazing. Stability of a steel shaft but the shock absorption is phenomenal. Hope this helps.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country

I had a set of Ping S59's with Nippon 90's in them. I can't say they felt any different (better or worse) then True temper shafts.

OP
G

Golf Hack 68

Jan 5, 2019
Idaho
Country
I have the KBS Tour 90 shaft (a light steel shaft) in the Adams CB3 forged irons I have now, but the swing weight of the irons is rather heavy for me at D3. I bought the Titleist DCI 822 OS irons with light Nippon shafts with swing weight of D1 and am in the process of trying to find a 4 iron and D (Dual Purpose) wedge to fill in my other Cleveland CG4 iron set (5-PW) that has graphite shafts. If it gets too expensive or unable to locate the 2 individual clubs, will probably sell both the Adams and Cleveland sets and go shopping for a different set of graphite shafted irons. Thanks for everybody's input, I'm a slow thinker and slow swinger, but am now pointed toward acquiring a set of graphite shafted irons by this spring. Good luck during the upcoming season, hit 'em straight/

🔥 Latest posts