• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2012-13 NHL season

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I'm really excited about the NHL this year. I'll be cheering for the Paramatta Eels this season!!!!
Oh, no sorry, that is actually Rugby (NRL), ok, never mind.... :D

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think Hockey is probably very difficult, and I really admire the skill it must take to move so precisely at high speeds, on ICE, with giant goons lining you up to separate you from the puck, or you from your head.

That being said, no desire whatsoever to watch it. I tried once, couldn't really see the puck, lost interest.

Soccer-- highly admire the level of stamina and endurance it takes. Really cool that good strikers can "bend" shots the way we can with a golf ball. But just too much nothing happening. Too much prancing around passing the ball, not scoring.

Soccer could use a shorter field with less players and the same size goal. Would like to see games won 10-8 instead of 1-0.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I think Hockey is probably very difficult, and I really admire the skill it must take to move so precisely at high speeds, on ICE, with giant goons lining you up to separate you from the puck, or you from your head.

That being said, no desire whatsoever to watch it. I tried once, couldn't really see the puck, lost interest.

Soccer-- highly admire the level of stamina and endurance it takes. Really cool that good strikers can "bend" shots the way we can with a golf ball. But just too much nothing happening. Too much prancing around passing the ball, not scoring.

Soccer could use a shorter field with less players and the same size goal. Would like to see games won 10-8 instead of 1-0.

There is a 5-player soccer which ends up 15-10 all the time, but it takes the entire strategy and passion of soccer out of its game. You can have an awesome 0-0 game and a boring 4-3 one. The U.S. is used too much to high number scoring games since the "goal" is the main reason behind the game, and its one of the reasons why soccer has never been big in there.

You can have a 30 minute strategy just to get one shot and score winning it 1-0. Every goal counts (not like Basketball when the first ral shot counting starts like 2 minutes before the game ends). If you make a terrific shot from the middle of the field in basketball you get 3 points and are mostly irrelevant in a 80-72 scoring game. When you make an awesome run and beat the keeper, that goal means you win, that's all.

Its not only about scoring but how good you do it. That's why its such a pleasure to watch teams like Barcelona, Arsenal, Man U, Porto playing, because even if they never score and end up 0-0, its a soccer recital.

You take pleasure in the game just as you do in sexual foreplay, rather than concentrate in the orgasm (or final score).

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It could be said that a basketball game that a team wins 111-110 required every single shot that was made the entire game. In fact, that is true. You don't win if you missed ANY of those shots.

I don't think there's any loss of passion or strategy with a high scoring game, considering that many are still won by a single score. 111-110 might as well be 1-0. But, 111-110 makes for a much more interesting game to watch, IMO. I get where you're coming from, and you're not wrong. People like different things.

You don't think watching Messi score 11 goals a game would be fun? If you can get him into more 2-on-1 situations, or 1 on 1+goalie situations, you would get to see that ball-control-magic all the more often.

P.S.-- is Messi still playing??? I have no idea.

P.P.S.-- do you have women asking for fewer orgasms?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
It could be said that a basketball game that a team wins 111-110 required every single shot that was made the entire game. In fact, that is true. You don't win if you missed ANY of those shots.

I don't think there's any loss of passion or strategy with a high scoring game, considering that many are still won by a single score. 111-110 might as well be 1-0. But, 111-110 makes for a much more interesting game to watch, IMO. I get where you're coming from, and you're not wrong. People like different things.

You don't think watching Messi score 11 goals a game would be fun? If you can get him into more 2-on-1 situations, or 1 on 1+goalie situations, you would get to see that ball-control-magic all the more often.

P.S.-- is Messi still playing??? I have no idea.

P.P.S.-- do you have women asking for fewer orgasms?

A 110-111 game makes scoring relevant only in the last two minutes or so. No one ever thinks "oh, remember the free throw missed in the second minute of the second quarter?" You can miss the second and third quarter of a basketball game and nothing might change, but you miss 15 minutes of a soccer match and you might have lost the hole game!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching basketball, as any other game, I was just trying to explain why soccer is so popular in the world.

I would rather watch a tight game than an 11-0 with 11 goals from Messi.

Women tend to ask for more caring and more foreplay most of the time....

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I felt like SUX does before I actually went to a hockey game. The first game hooked me into "I want to learn more about hockey, and I want to come back". From the 2nd game on, my wife and I both were hooked. We don't go to as many games anymore, but I watch every chance I get...and I watch every minute of the game.

I truly believe that if any sports fan gives hockey a chance, they'll become a hockey fan.

Soccer...I have 4 children who all play/played soccer. I coached 3 of my kids when they were younger. My boys are both varsity in HS and play premier level travel, my oldest boy (a senior) will probably play college level on scholarship. My youngest daughter plays middle school and travel soccer, and plans to play 4 years of high school soccer (possibly varsity all 4 years...she's mean on the field!). All that said, I have trouble watching a soccer game on tv, even with my boys. I see the strategy, but the game just doesn't hold my interest like a hockey game does.

Right now, I just want the lockout to end. :(

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Ok, perfect game. Stay with me here:

Ice rink the size of a current soccer field with boards like hockey. Players utilize all hockey gear except the stick. Soccer ball is used. Hockey rules are used to govern play however soccer rules for ball handling. Double the amount of players on a current soccer team.

So full contact soccer on ice...whose with me?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Ever seen indoor soccer? It's played in our area. Basically, and indoor field WITH WALLS. Fairly typical soccer rules except substitution is hockey style: run on/off the field at will. Clock doesn't stop. Ball is played off the walls like in hockey. There's netting above the walls and overhead. If you touch the nets, possession changes. Also, the goal keepers can not kick the ball over 3/4 of the field (center and quarter lines, ball must land before the farthest line) or possession changes.

Very fast game, a ton of fun to watch!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Ever seen indoor soccer? It's played in our area. Basically, and indoor field WITH WALLS. Fairly typical soccer rules except substitution is hockey style: run on/off the field at will. Clock doesn't stop. Ball is played off the walls like in hockey. There's netting above the walls and overhead. If you touch the nets, possession changes. Also, the goal keepers can not kick the ball over 3/4 of the field (center and quarter lines, ball must land before the farthest line) or possession changes.

Very fast game, a ton of fun to watch!
Needs ice and checking lol

I mean honestly, what would be better than watching people try to kick a ball while on ice skates?

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Ok, perfect game. Stay with me here:

Ice rink the size of a current soccer field with boards like hockey. Players utilize all hockey gear except the stick. Soccer ball is used. Hockey rules are used to govern play however soccer rules for ball handling. Double the amount of players on a current soccer team.

So full contact soccer on ice...whose with me?
Only if you got hockey players to play it. Otherwise the flopping would be intolerable!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.