• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Handicap Goals

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
United States United States
What you mean to say is that you are a 9 and want to be a 5. A +9 would mean you usually shoot right around 63 or so.
Yes. I never understood that. Seems reverse. Why would my goal, be shoot higher. I've been playing for years, but just in the last 12 months have I been posting scores, and been focusing on improving. Sorry for saying it backwards

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
Yes. I never understood that. Seems reverse. Why would my goal, be shoot higher. I've been playing for years, but just in the last 12 months have I been posting scores, and been focusing on improving. Sorry for saying it backwards
It is that way because you count down to scratch and then +1 is one stroke better, and you have to give your opponent +1 strokes in addition to his/her handicap strokes. That's how it originated.

Example:
John is a +2 and Mark is a 7. John has to give Mark his 7 strokes +2 more, for 9 total.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It's like everything else in golf bass ackwards. Like hitting down to make the ball go up, aim left and you are sure to slice it right...etc.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
It's like everything else in golf bass ackwards. Like hitting down to make the ball go up, aim left and you are sure to slice it right...etc.
Hitting down does not make the ball go higher than a shallow swing.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Sorry to be "that guy". I know what you meant. I just got into a argument with guy who tried to tell me if I want to hit a high shot that I need to hit down on the ball more. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. So with that being fresh on my mind, I had to clarify. I didn't mean to imply that you don't know that either.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I played 9 yesterday...ugly display of putting. Something has to give...I need some change...I need a new putter. :) I'm going to check out the Versa line today...maybe TM(eek).

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Sorry to be "that guy". I know what you meant. I just got into a argument with guy who tried to tell me if I want to hit a high shot that I need to hit down on the ball more. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. So with that being fresh on my mind, I had to clarify. I didn't mean to imply that you don't know that either.
OK, good. I had no idea what you were trying to say there! :D

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I played 9 yesterday...ugly display of putting. Something has to give...I need some change...I need a new putter. :) I'm going to check out the Versa line today...maybe TM(eek).
Good luck, let me know what you get. I ordered a cheapo Inazone TM MA-81 knock off and it shoudl be here monday. Head weight looks good and I am curious to try it out, hope it feels ok otherwise I am going to have to buy a scotty.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Good luck, let me know what you get. I ordered a cheapo Inazone TM MA-81 knock off and it shoudl be here monday. Head weight looks good and I am curious to try it out, hope it feels ok otherwise I am going to have to buy a scotty.
Will do. I'll post pics.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.