• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2014 - Predictions Challenge

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Okay, its around this time of the year that we (and others) start making grandiose predictions about which pro is going to have a great (ie. dominating) next year.

Here are some recent examples of players who had a great year & fizzled the following year under the weight of expectation of the general public:
  • Graeme McDowell 2010
  • Martin Kaymer 2011
  • Luke Donald 2011
  • Rory McIlroy 2012
I suppose you could throw in Tiger Woods and the expectation that in 2013 he would win one or more majors.

So, now we have Henrick Stenson who's had a stellar year, having risen from the cellar to No. 3 in the world. Adam Scott has risen to No. 2 in the world & is only one world ranking point behind Tiger Woods. There are all sorts of predictions about those two for 2014. In light of the McDowell/Kaymer/Donald/McIlroy effect, the rhetorical question I ask is could either or both Stenson & Scott similarly fizzle in 2014?

Which brings me to the thrust of this thread. Why don't we have some sort of competition where we pick two players -> One who will live up to expectations (ie. improve, dominate, etc) and one who won't (ie. fizzle, slide down the rankings). Perhaps 31 Dec 2013 being the deadline for entries.

I'm happy if someone has a better idea along these lines.

Whadya say guys?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Okay, its around this time of the year that we (and others) start making grandiose predictions about which pro is going to have a great (ie. dominating) next year.

Here are some recent examples of players who had a great year & fizzled the following year under the weight of expectation of the general public:
  • Graeme McDowell 2010
  • Martin Kaymer 2011
  • Luke Donald 2011
  • Rory McIlroy 2012
I suppose you could throw in Tiger Woods and the expectation that in 2013 he would win one or more majors.

So, now we have Henrick Stenson who's had a stellar year, having risen from the cellar to No. 3 in the world. Adam Scott has risen to No. 2 in the world & is only one world ranking point behind Tiger Woods. There are all sorts of predictions about those two for 2014. In light of the McDowell/Kaymer/Donald/McIlroy effect, the rhetorical question I ask is could either or both Stenson & Scott similarly fizzle in 2014?

Which brings me to the thrust of this thread. Why don't we have some sort of competition where we pick two players -> One who will live up to expectations (ie. improve, dominate, etc) and one who won't (ie. fizzle, slide down the rankings). Perhaps 31 Dec 2013 being the deadline for entries.

I'm happy if someone has a better idea along these lines.

Whadya say guys?
So a Sizzle choice and a Fizzle choice? I'm in!!!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Okay then, it looks like we have some buy in. I like FWS's take on it: (1) Sizzle, or (2) Fizzle.

Let's define "Sizzling" as either meeting expectations or at least maintaining a current lofty position. "Fizzling" most probably would mean dropping or going backwards in rankings.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Okay then, it looks like we have some buy in. I like FWS's take on it: (1) Sizzle, or (2) Fizzle.

Let's define "Sizzling" as either meeting expectations or at least maintaining a current lofty position. "Fizzling" most probably would mean dropping or going backwards in rankings.
Sizzle at current ranking or higher, fizzle below current ranking. Sound good???

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
That's easy, Stenson will disappear and Tiger will roar-and take a dump in Limp's oatmeal.
Of course, Jim, if this were a poll based on personal emotion I'd vote to see the GREAT ONE get caught going down on Ruskie ho's while his girl friend is sliding down slopes in the Winter Olympics. He ends up with a ski pole embedded in his rear and is not competitive in 2014. However, I know he is... for the minute... healthy and, if that remains so, will contend in 2014.

There have been so many "fizzles" over the years. Duval... Duffner... And, with the huge talent pool, you don't know who will catch fire and be the talk of the upcoming season. Wild guess......

I like Adam Scott. However, he has the pressure of trying to attain the #1 position and the mounting pressure of transitioning from broomstick to traditional putter. Can his game hold up to those pressures? Sorry to say, but I would have to pick Scott to "fizzle".

So, will Bubba be back? Mahan? Day? Can Stenson even improve over 2013? My pre-season choice for "sizzle" would be McElroy. I really think this kid has game. He went through a difficult time, attempting to play ball with a tennis star and his golf game suffered. One he got his nose out of that, he has gradually come back and looked stellar in last week's event. Did he learn his lesson? I do think he matured significantly and will be much more cautious about the time demands of future menu items. So, my "sizzle" pick would be Rory.

Members online

No members online now.