1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2014 VIC OZgolf Champs - Feb 7 - 10, 2014

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by LeftyHoges, Mar 25, 2014.

1. LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges I've got the pants that'll make you dance! Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    Well, as mentioned in another thread I have some shots of our most recent golf trip here in beautiful Victoria, Australia.

We had some great courses in the line up last year (pics from that event here) but outdid ourselves this year.

Following the same format as last year the official proceedings didn't kick off until Friday but we had a number of guys get in early on the Thursday due to the fantastic course on offer, Woodlands GC (Rank #18 in Aus).
    The fantastic par 3 5th, approx 180 yards.
    5th tee.
    My tee shot on the par 3 8th, 210 yards of brutality. 8th.
    Marto65 tees off on the 9th, the 2nd hardest hole on the course.
    9th. My drive off 10, another brute. The stretch here of 8, 9 and 10 is one of the hardest on the sandbelt, and I managed to get through in one over par for the 3. 10th.
    Marto65 tees off on 11, a gorgeous little par 3 of only 145 yards, but do not miss the green or a tough up and down follows. 11th.
    Possibly from one of these bunkers. :) 11 bunker.
    A relaxing day on a fantastic course before we got into the hostilities of...

The UNCIVIL WAR (pt.II)!
    Held at the one and only Royal Melbourne Golf Club - West Course (Ranked #1 in Aus)
    This is the historic clubhouse overlooking the 18th green of the East course. Clubhouse overlooking 18th East. The guys warmed up on the practice fairway, PF.
    rolled the rock on the pristine practice greens
    Practice green.JPG Practice green(2).JPG
    And had memento photos taken
    RM wbennett. Fight!.
    Before the war really began. The teams are loosely based on your Civil War of the Northern Vs Southern States and this year the Union (in blue) comprised of 15 guys (and 1 lady!) from New South Wales and Queensland while the Confederates (in red) contained 16 guys from Western Australia, ACT, Victoria and Tasmania. The format sees individual and 4B stableford matchplay between the members of a group so that 3 points are possible from each group, and 24 available for the day. Last year the Confeds trailed for most of the day before staging some almighty comebacks to prevail 7.5-5.5, but this year was an entirely different story. The Confederates dominated from start to finish to run out 16-8 winners and retain the trophy.
    Uncivil war trophy.
    The glorious Royal Melbourne course:
    1st hole, a generous fairway to start the round.
    1st tee.
    Shazza_rs plays from over the bunkers on the dogleg right par 5 2nd.
    2nd.JPG
    Kev (a massive fan of the flop shot) plays to the front-to-back sloping green on the short par 4 3rd.
    3rd.JPG
    Simmsy hits to the famous par 3 5th. Approximately 160 yards but look at the trouble all around!
    5th.
    Jmac bombs a drive over the corner of the dog leg 6th leaving around 100 yards in. He would celebrate this drive a few nights later by getting drunk and mistakenly pissing on his golf bag. Not bad for a respected officer of the law!
    6th.
    The green on 8 to the right, with the view down the 9th on the left.
    8th green, 9th tee.
    Over the hill on 9 to the green.
    Approach to 9.
    Another very famous par 4, the 10th only measure around 280 yards but is slightly uphill and the flag is located directly behind that MASSIVE bunker. I managed to catch the top lip and roll back into the pot. Need a full 52° to reach the green from in there.
    10th.
    Heres Peppas in the damn thing.

This is the 17th green in the foreground and the approach to 11 beyond, at the dog leg.
    11th looking over 17..
    The tee shot on 18. The perfect line for anyone but the shortest of hitters is directly over the right bunkers with a 5 yard cut.
    18th tee shot.
    I honestly have no idea where this bunker is but it's such a great shot I had to include it.
    Unknown bunker.

With Friday's play done we gathered at the hotel for "refreshments".

Here is Shadesy from Western Australia celebrating the Wests "Nullarbor Cup" win, which is a seperate comp that has been run three times between the Eastern and Western states. The Nullarbor is the big dry piece of land that separates the Eastern and Western states in the lower half of Australia. This was the Wests first win in 3 attempts after we (as Easties) had knocked them off twice on their home soil.
    Shadesy - Nullabor.

We then held a calcutta which raised over $200 for charity (and other events that raised over $1700 for BeyondBlue, a national depression charity).

On to Saturday and the individual championships begin at The Dunes (ranked #16 in Aus).

We kicked off with a putting comp, which I took out to make back-to-back victories. Here's me with the initial putt.
    Putting Comp. The field also included the "Human Highlighter"
    Human Highlighter.
    Here is the group shot (albeit missing 4 or 5 people)
    Group Shot.
    The approach to the dogleg 1st 2nd approach.
    Shadesy hits a nice tee shot off 2 2nd.
    BenM found some trouble at the par 3 3rd 3rd.
    With some accompanying video.

The short par 4 4th is a great hole as Titleist tees off here 4th.
    But unlucky for some, right Simmsy? Unfortunate 4th.
    The 5th, a par 5, is actually a blind teeshot. I wish I had have walked up to this dune to spot the right area to hit it! 5th down hole.
    One of only about 3 trees in play on the whole course. Can you spot 3 balls? :)
    9th. I have no clue with this hole is. Can't for the life of me remember it.

EDIT: now I remember, this the par 3 13th green on the left, looking back from the 14th fairway, with the 14th tee in between the hills right at the right edge of shot.
    13 from 14th fairway. The 200 yard par 3 17th, playing into a decent breeze. Had to slaughter 3 iron to get it there 17th.
    And the par 4 18th. See that cut in of rough on the left? I managed to take 6 from there. :-( 18th.
    Sunday saw us travel to Portsea (ranked #54 in Aus). Here's Courty and I.
    Lefty & Courty. With one more of Courty and wbennett
    Courty & wbennett.
    LarryLong dressed for the entire weekend in clothes bought entirely from Op-Shops (or thrift-shops) to you guys, although I never got confirmation about where his underwear was from. Doesn't he look fantastic for the princely sum of $13!?
    LarryLong.
    So here we have the 1st on the right, and the 18th on the left
    1st right, 18th left. The approach to the dog leg par 4 4th, the hardest hole on the course.
    4th. The downhill par 3 7th approx 160y, with the impressive clubhouse in the background
    7th.
    Overlooking the 8th, 9th 10th and 14th from the clubhouse 9th, 8th, 10th and 14th.
    The par 3 13th 13th.
    The 17th green is way off in the distance, and this is over the hill of the semi-blind tee shot on 18 18th.
    With the conclusion of play, prizes were awarded.
    The coveted Shanks award went to FoxGolf (a 4 'capper, so they can happen to anyone)
    shank.
    While the NAGA went to oncewasagolfer, rather an appropriate alias I guess. naga.
    The winner was declared with a beautifully hand crafted trophy in the state of Victoria. This is AndyP, our site owner. winner.
    And finally we have AndyP, myself and our MC for the champs, Bruce. Too much purple!!! :) Winner, Organiser, MC.

A group dinner was had by the people that stayed for the Monday round. Mmmmm, steak!!!
    Sun night dinner.

Monday is our relaxation day, so an easier course is sought. While Kew no longer ranks in the top 100 (it used to hold around the 60th spot up until a few years ago) it is still a fantastic course with great tradition.
    Not many pics are taken on this day as we just can't be arsed anymore but here's a couple.

monsta65 on the par 5 16th. He's the creator behind all the trophies in the last few pics.
    16th. This little critter decided he wanted to come out and play too. A nasty tiger snake of around 5 feet in length. Very quick, very poisonous.
    Snake 13.

Well hope you guys have enjoyed this, there's a few other pics floating around I might grab but these are the best ones.

Cheers
    LH

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

United States United States
    Is that it?

J/K

Great pics buddy.

3. TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt Banned Banned

I really enjoyed that! Thanks!

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

WOW!!! What a great narrative of your super weekend. Really enjoyed it!!!!! (The one photo is of a guy you tag as "Titleist". Yet, it appears he's hitting an R1 TMAG driver??!!!??)
    Looks like the entire golfing population of Australia is young flat-bellies. Does your group not accept fat old guys??:)

5. LeftyHoges

Australia Australia
    Rather ironic really, isn't it? He is a HUGE Scotty Cameron collector though so at least he does have some homage to Titleist. :)

We certainly do accept them Limp, we just hide them away in the promotional photo shoots. Either that, or they're hitting they're second shots from 40 yards behind the camera! ;)

6. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    Great pics and story, thank you for sharing!!!

7. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    As always, a great read from Lefty. Thanks for sharing!

8. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

Great post!!

9. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

Hey LH, looks like you boys (and girl) had a great time. Courses look lovely and pleased to see you have not lost your taste in clothing and shoes! How did you score (or did that not matter!)

10. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Nice!

Those pants though...

11. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

I may not agree with what he wears, but I agree with his style in wearing what he wants! Kinda like me wearing plaid...

12. LeftyHoges

Australia Australia
    Sure did IG, couldn't have asked for better. I probably should've noted that this was played just 2 months after both the Australian Masters and the World Cup at Royal Melbourne so the course was just absolutely A1 superb.

I struggled at Woodlands with a few things on my mind (which I won't go into here) but after starting with 4 stableford points through 6 holes I finished with a respectable 31 points, or 81 off the bat.

I then shot 78 around Royal Melbourne for 34 points. 3 very weak bogeys in a row early, then 2 late hurt.

At the Dunes I had 35 points or 77 off the stick, with wipes on 16 & 18.

At Portsea I wiped 16 to finish with 36 points, or 76 off the bat.

71 points for the weekend was good enough to see my tie for fourth, the winner having 40 and 36 points.

And I have a bit of a tradition of playing well on the Monday when it doesn't really matter any more, and this year was no exception. I shot 70 around Kew for 38 points (course was slightly altered for maintenance) as a par 69.

13. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Awesome post!

Your swing hurts my back! :)

14. LeftyHoges

Australia Australia
    Cheers mate,

It hurts my back sometimes too. :)

15. LeftyHoges

Australia Australia
    Sometimes it can be loud, but it is always fashionable. I have a strict policy that shoes, belt, hat and glove must match, which ties the outfit together.

MCDavis likes this.