• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2015 Web.com Portland Open

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
After one full day of volunteering (18th hole fairway suite) here's a few pics.

So here's my suite:
v3pu76.jpg

Leather couches and 60" LED in the corner:
2eb62wm.jpg

Panoramic of the 545 yard 18th hole:
35b6wkk.jpg

Dicky Pride, leader in the clubhouse:
53k9dg.jpg

And here's my view for tomorrow (pics to come) from behind the 18th (you can see the suites I was working in, up on the left) :
24y8q9x.jpg

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Pretty jealous right now.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Champion Dicky Pride with his trophy. We were allowed to be on the 18th green during the ceremony for him and the other 24 people who got their PGA Tour cards.
1zqfwcz.jpg

One of them is 45 year old Rod Pampling. He seems very genuine and was easy to talk to.
2yjsy8h.jpg

We partied with Dickie afterwards and Andrew Landry (PGA Tour card #21) hung out in the sky box while the rest of the field finished. His wife is smokin' hot.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Champion Dicky Pride with his trophy. We were allowed to be on the 18th green during the ceremony for him and the other 24 people who got their PGA Tour cards.
1zqfwcz.jpg

One of them is 45 year old Rod Pampling. He seems very genuine and was easy to talk to.
2yjsy8h.jpg

We partied with Dickie afterwards and Andrew Landry (PGA Tour card #21) hung out in the sky box while the rest of the field finished. His wife is smokin' hot.
What a cool experience!

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Crazy story of the week:

So the top 25 get their tour cards, based on yearly earnings. My friend played the pro-am with Rob Oppenheim, who was sitting on the bubble at 23 I think. Well, Rob missed the cut and was projected to finish at #25 unless Harold Varner finished even par. Okay...

Saturday I was working the fairway suite on 18. Varner pushes his drive, it hits the cart path right in front of me, bounces over the suite tent, and lands in 2' deep fescue. I run out and start looking for it, then two more volunteers come, then 5 patrons, then the playing group, then the rules official... there were about 20 people looking for this ball. Finally the rules guy says it's been long enough and he needs to re-tee and take a lost ball penalty. as I'm heading back to the tent I figure I might as well dig around the fescue... lo and behold I find a Srixon #2 with a purple dot. He rushes over, identifies it, hacks out and plays on.

Turns out, it all came down to Sunday afternoon. Varner finishes one stroke high enough to beat Oppenheim by $900 measly dollars and claims the 25th spot.

Now think about that for a second. If I don't find his ball, he takes a penalty stroke and re-tees at which point that tee shot can go anywhere. Even if he stripes it, that penalty stroke could have potentially cost him his card.

And now I feel bad for Rod. :( What a crazy scenario, huh?

And Harold didn't even thank me for finding his ball!! :mad: :D

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Crazy story of the week:

So the top 25 get their tour cards, based on yearly earnings. My friend played the pro-am with Rob Oppenheim, who was sitting on the bubble at 23 I think. Well, Rob missed the cut and was projected to finish at #25 unless Harold Varner finished even par. Okay...

Saturday I was working the fairway suite on 18. Varner pushes his drive, it hits the cart path right in front of me, bounces over the suite tent, and lands in 2' deep fescue. I run out and start looking for it, then two more volunteers come, then 5 patrons, then the playing group, then the rules official... there were about 20 people looking for this ball. Finally the rules guy says it's been long enough and he needs to re-tee and take a lost ball penalty. as I'm heading back to the tent I figure I might as well dig around the fescue... lo and behold I find a Srixon #2 with a purple dot. He rushes over, identifies it, hacks out and plays on.

Turns out, it all came down to Sunday afternoon. Varner finishes one stroke high enough to beat Oppenheim by $900 measly dollars and claims the 25th spot.

Now think about that for a second. If I don't find his ball, he takes a penalty stroke and re-tees at which point that tee shot can go anywhere. Even if he stripes it, that penalty stroke could have potentially cost him his card.

And now I feel bad for Rod. :( What a crazy scenario, huh?

And Harold didn't even thank me for finding his ball!! :mad: :D
Sounds like Varner owes you a few Benjamin's.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.