• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2018 Ryder Cup thread

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
EUen0Z.gif

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Europe will win this Ryder Cup due to the following USA Negatives.

Too many cooks aka Vice Captains in the kitchen. Everyone leads differently and I think Furyk has simply brought too many leaders on board. Could be an issue.

Tiger and Phil have horrible Ryder Cup records.

Several US players enter the matches in awful form. Michelson, Reed and Watson to name a few.

I was one who originally thought the US would win, especially after Bjorn’s questionable picks, but now I lean towards Europe and think they will win in a closely contested RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We'll be fine.

I present Exhibit A:

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 8.49.14 AM.png

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
If your experiment needs a statistician, you need a better experiment.

GO EUROPE!

We will win with heart and soul!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

GO EUROPE!

We will win with heart and soul!

GettyImages-83689634.jpg

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
"Ollie said to us that the Ryder Cup is what memories and dreams are made of and last night that team-room was buzzing," he said. "We weren't four points down. We felt like we were all square. We just knew we had a chance. And do you know this is history right here." Indeed, no away team has ever come back from being four points down going into the singles. "We knew Ollie had us wearing Seve's navy blue and white for a reason," said Poulter. "We had Seve on our bags, on our shirts and in our hearts. We did this for Seve."

YUP! We have Seve on our side!!

Sep 26, 2018
Country
Canada Canada
Europe will have the lead after Friday’s four-ball sessions and I don’t think they relinquish it. Europe to win in a close one.

Edited due to spelling.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Europe will have the lead after Friday’s four-ball sessions and I don’t think they relinquish it. Europe to win in a close one.

Edited due to spelling.

If my memory serves me correctly, if the US team leads after day 1 (whether Ryder or Presidents Cup) - it wins.

Sep 26, 2018
Country
Canada Canada
If my memory serves me correctly, if the US team leads after day 1 (whether Ryder or Presidents Cup) - it wins.

That may be true however I do not see the USA leading after day 1 this year and if they do it will be a very marginal lead that Europe can easily come back from. I think there are several factors favoring Europe to win the RC this year.

1. Too many Americans out of form
2. Phil a very questionable pick
3. Too many cooks aka VC’s in USA kitchen
4. Course setup strongly plays to Europe
5. Home country has an advantage

Home country has especially been favorable to Europe where the Americans have not won on European soil in 25 years. Whereas Europe has won on American soil 3 times over that same span.

Sep 26, 2018
Country
Canada Canada
That may be true however I do not see the USA leading after day 1 this year and if they do it will be a very marginal lead that Europe can easily come back from. I think there are several factors favoring Europe to win the RC this year.

1. Too many Americans out of form
2. Phil a very questionable pick
3. Too many cooks aka VC’s in USA kitchen
4. Course setup strongly plays to Europe
5. Home country has an advantage

Home country has especially been favorable to Europe where the Americans have not won on European soil in 25 years. Whereas Europe has won on American soil 3 times over that same span.

Tiger should be in the first pairing out for the USA Friday. He's "back" - if he goes out first, plays well & helps get the first point for the Americans it sends one hell of a strong message to Team Europe. Could help spearhead a big charge.

Oh, & sit Phil out during Saturday foursomes! My two recommendations.

To counter, I think Team Europe should make sure Poulter is out in the first pairing. He has a fantastic Ryder Cup record and if he and his partner can outplay the Americans, most notably Tiger, the message sent to Team USA is ten-fold.

Members online

No members online now.