• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2019 The US Open Discussion Thread

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I've expressed my feelings on course setup at the Open before....

Punish these guys. I want the mentally tough players on the leader boards, not the ones that just have pure golf talent. 4, 5, 6 putts, unplayable lies if you're not on the fairway...I want shooting par to be a dream land.

I find it hilarious when a shot lands on the green and funnels off into a bunker. Nothing gives me more joy.
I agree with this. The US Open is known to be tough...let it be. The winner should be so worn out he can't even hold the trophy up without help. And any subpar round should be cause for a celebration, not what's expected.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Anyone backing the USGA’ s ridiculous setups should forced to play golf with hickory shafted clubs and gutta percha golf balls for the rest of their lives. Watching other people suffer is not entertainment, unless they are NY Yankee fans, they deserve all the misery they can get. ;)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Anyone backing the USGA’ s ridiculous setups should forced to play golf with hickory shafted clubs and gutta percha golf balls for the rest of their lives. Watching other people suffer is not entertainment, unless they are NY Yankee fans, they deserve all the misery they can get. ;)

Anyone who thinks course setups should be easy on the pros probably thinks there should be a way to make a football easier to grip on game day...oh, wait...:D

I really have no issue with at least 1 major being known to be a true test of every aspect of your game, including endurance. Some of the greatest British Open's, in my opinion, have been with pouring rains and howling winds...and Tom Watson showing the field how to endure to the end and win. To me, that's a far better win than beating the brains out of the competition by 10 strokes and being 20 under par in the sunshine. No, I don't want to play in the tough conditions, but I'm also not getting paid millions of dollars to play. The pros should be forced to have to figure out a way to win other than bomb and gouge better than the next guy.

And go Blues!! :p

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Anyone who thinks course setups should be easy on the pros probably thinks there should be a way to make a football easier to grip on game day...oh, wait...:D

I really have no issue with at least 1 major being known to be a true test of every aspect of your game, including endurance. Some of the greatest British Open's, in my opinion, have been with pouring rains and howling winds...and Tom Watson showing the field how to endure to the end and win. To me, that's a far better win than beating the brains out of the competition by 10 strokes and being 20 under par in the sunshine. No, I don't want to play in the tough conditions, but I'm also not getting paid millions of dollars to play. The pros should be forced to have to figure out a way to win other than bomb and gouge better than the next guy.

And go Blues!! :p
I do not mind a tough course, I do not like tricked up greens that do not hold well struck shots. It brings more luck into the final results vs skill. I prefer to see greens like Augusta. They are tough and lightning fast, but roll true and reward the golfer on well struck shots to the proper area of the greens. They are several examples at the US Open where well struck approach shots into proper landing zones on the green are punished. Might as well put up windmills and dancing hippos on the greens at the US Open as it is more putt putt golf versus real golf.

How are the Canes enjoying golf while the hockey season continues?;)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I do not mind a tough course, I do not like tricked up greens that do not hold well struck shots. It brings more luck into the final results vs skill. I prefer to see greens like Augusta. They are tough and lightning fast, but roll true and reward the golfer on well struck shots to the proper area of the greens. They are several examples at the US Open where well struck approach shots into proper landing zones on the green are punished. Might as well put up windmills and dancing hippos on the greens at the US Open as it is more putt putt golf versus real golf.

How are the Canes enjoying golf while the hockey season continues?;)
Fair enough on the greens.

They're enjoying being relevant again. Not as much as Evgeny Kuznetsov, of course...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I prefer to see greens like Augusta.

I used to think that. Then I played at Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, where Alistair MacKensie also did the greens. It was a nightmare. Bumps that large should only be on ski slopes.
Last week I was at Pinehurst. My back still hurts to badly to play a full course, so I just played the new 9 hole par 3, called The Cradle. Gil Hanse designed it in 2017, and the greens are some of the hilliest I have evereen seen. I didn't make a single par.

Back to the Open: Pebble has been over-used, IMHO. There are plenty of other great courses out there that are deserving of some major exposure.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I've expressed my feelings on course setup at the Open before....

Punish these guys. I want the mentally tough players on the leader boards, not the ones that just have pure golf talent. 4, 5, 6 putts, unplayable lies if you're not on the fairway...I want shooting par to be a dream land.

I find it hilarious when a shot lands on the green and funnels off into a bunker. Nothing gives me more joy.
^^THIS^^ Extreme golf, once a year.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Including this year, Pebble will have hosted the US Open just 5 times in 119 years.
Yes, but it's on TV every year for that excruciating Pro-Am!!!

Maybe that's it: Looking at Chris Berman's fat ass hack around Pebble has ruined it for me.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
With everyone in the "Challenge" picking Koepka, is he due for one bad tournament? Can he keep performing this well in the majors? Hmmm.... I'm thinking of rolling the dice and dropping him.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.