• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2019 The US Open Discussion Thread

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Seagull spit helps Phil slide his lengthy birdie putt in the hole on 10. Phil, DJ, and McDowell make the 10th look easy with 3 birds.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Woodland making a move up the board. Could overtake the lead with an eagle putt on 6.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Patrick Reed melting down on 18. Could miss the cut. (Will miss his lob wedge after he snapped it in half)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Fowler had a tough day. Good to see Woodland doing well. I've picked Gary in a couple of challenges and he hasn't come through. Maybe since I didn't pick him, he'll win this thing. He deserves it. Born and raised 40 miles east of us. Went to a small university on a basketball scholarship for one or two years. Transferred to Kansas University to play golf. Does a lot for charity in our area. Good family man.
This course can jump up and bite anyone at any time. Should be a great weekend to watch golf... after playing 18 each morning.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
That's gonna cost Reed a couple of bucks in the trailer.
I have always liked this kid. Knew his history about being booted off a college team due to his mouth and actions. Still, he seemed to grow up... a little. Tough family situation. Can play this game as well... or better than... a large segment of those on the Tour.
But... he just won't rise above the demons in his mind. Just won't grow up. Can't seem to put his ego and entitlement aside. He could afford to hire the best professional out there to work with him through his psychological issues. Maybe he is in counseling. If so... it, evidently, ain't workin'!!
The PGA needs to mete out some consequences. A few dollars in the way of a fine doesn't even faze these young millionaires. The PGA needs to invoke some sort of suspension policy or "ejection" from the tournament in which actions such as this are displayed.
We can all suffer from "melt down" in certain situations. At this level, a player needs to rise above open displays of temper/anger where equipment or the course is damaged. Actions like this are seen by the public and mimicked on public courses... or in a classroom... or in a domestic situation... or......

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
That's gonna cost Reed a couple of bucks in the trailer.
Does the USGA fine people? I know the Tour is believed to stealthily fine it’s members for transgressions, but as this is run by the USGA wouldn’t they just apply the rules of golf? Club is not replaceable for the remainder of the round.

With the new rules (4.1), Reed could have continued to use the club in its damaged state. The new rules (1.2b) also also allow for penalties by the committee for code of conduct violations in the form of stroke penalties. If Reed is assessed a code of conduct violation, he misses the cut.

I guess the Committee chose not to use a code of conduct violation as Reed is warming up on the range for round 3.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Does the USGA fine people? I know the Tour is believed to stealthily fine it’s members for transgressions, but as this is run by the USGA wouldn’t they just apply the rules of golf? Club is not replaceable for the remainder of the round.

With the new rules (4.1), Reed could have continued to use the club in its damaged state. The new rules (1.2b) also also allow for penalties by the committee for code of conduct violations in the form of stroke penalties. If Reed is assessed a code of conduct violation, he misses the cut.

I guess the Committee chose not to use a code of conduct violation as Reed is warming up on the range for round 3.
That's a good point about being a USGA event and not a PGA event so I don't believe that the USGA will fine him. The stiffest penalty they have is disqualification and it's clear that since he's playing right now that didn't happen. However, he is representing the PGA here and it's possible that the PGA can fine for violating their code of conduct rules. They have fined him before.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Going into the weekend I'm sitting T6, T11, T11, and T16,
Last year at Shinnecock the leaders at the end of round 3 started the round in 40th or worse. That being said, the USGA seems to being held in check, so far, this year so I am not expecting a big swing in positions.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Koepka the machine has teed off 1. Let’s see what he can do on moving day.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
This is the way professional golf should be. Narrow fairways and penalizing rough. Put it in the fairway and you can score. No more "bomb and gouge".

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Jim Furyk....where did he come from? I have not seen him on screen the first two days and he is now tied for 5th.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.