• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

300+ Yard Drives - Bulls**t!!

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Distance isn't as important as many make it out to be. Sometimes longer means longer in the woods. If you can keep it 260 in the middle of the fairway you can play any course in the world.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Agree wit JMI there. 260-270 in the fw is all you need. Hit 14 of those a round and your guna be in very good shape.

Im consistently 250-270 carry right now. But to be fair with the cold weather, ill be honest and say driver is the best its ever been in my life and i can rip at it at will right now. In the summer on a normal day ill average from 260-280 (thats including a bit of roll). When im having a really good day i can pop a few out there close around 300, and when i am hitting it great i usually go all out on our dead flat 440 par 4. Closest ive been into the green was 110 and that was THE BEST drive ive ever hit in my life (also had a 5 mph light breeze coming from behind us).

edit- forgot to mention im 6'2, 230lbs and very athletic from skiing (lower body), lacrosse and basketball (harder on upper body, getting hit by sticks and elbows, and fighting:D) And have gotten a lot more lag in my swing (key to distance) with the swing changes ive been doin over the winter with my coach.

lwc

Mar 8, 2006
Country
United States United States
Here are the results from the Tavistock Cup long drive contest.

Tavistock_long_drive.jpg

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Here are the results from the Tavistock Cup long drive contest.

Tavistock_long_drive.jpg

Those shots were all into a stiff breeze.

Do not doubt that a lot of pros can rip 300+ yard drives in calm wind on a level fairway that gives them at least some roll.

HighBore

Aug 12, 2006
im 16 years old 6'2" 160lbs and i hit it about 290-300 consistently but when things start to fade or draw it just goes that much more off center, i would prefer to lose a little distance and gain some consistent accuracy

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
You see this is where people get skeptical. Highbore when you say your 6'2" 160 lbs and your cranking it farther than another 16 year old whos 6'2" 250 there is a major problem. I dont want to say your lying because I've never seen your swing nor do I know anything about you. I mean cmon Im driving 250-270 on average so please man unless your fairway has a hell of alot of sprinkler heads or you have great accuracy to hit them 300 yards away dont say those types of things.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
im 16 years old 6'2" 160lbs and i hit it about 290-300 consistently but when things start to fade or draw it just goes that much more off center, i would prefer to lose a little distance and gain some consistent accuracy
Pros hit it 290-300 consistantly, I don't deny I can catch one around 300 or more but when any normal person averages in the mishits and most normal shots their average is much lower then that.

Also driving distance is a poor way to gauge how far you hit it. How far the ball carries will have a little more meaning. Even still, if I played in Texas or Colorado I would be flying it much farther then in Nova Scotia.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
distance is straight up OVER_RATED. i hit the ball anywhere from 240-265 yards ( not long at all), but i whoop guys who hit it out around 270-280 all the time.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just got back from Florida where I played in a GPS equipped cart. With some wind at my back I hit a lower trajectory drive 296yds. I had 221 left to the center of the green and hit basically a pull on purpose with a 5iron onto the front right fringe, pin high. My normal "longer drives" are just over 270 best I can figure. My avg. is probably about 230-240 though. I hit many a drive that leaves me wishing I'd hit a 3wood.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You hit a 5 Iron 221 and your not on tour? I think it was more than just a breeze :)

Well, 221 was center of the green, I hit to around 215 or so, pin was up front. What 19 said is true, whether he was joking or not. I deloft my irons a lot and probably hit at least a club less than most people with my irons. Having the confidence to look at the shot, trust my insticts, pull a 5iron instead of a 5W and hit it pin high impressed me more than the distance.

Not that the shot got a whole lot of wind help, it went about 7ft. off the ground at it's highest point. I was actually worried it would hit the raised fw bunker 30 yards ahead of me when it came off.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
You see this is where people get skeptical. Highbore when you say your 6'2" 160 lbs and your cranking it farther than another 16 year old whos 6'2" 250 there is a major problem. I dont want to say your lying because I've never seen your swing nor do I know anything about you. I mean cmon Im driving 250-270 on average so please man unless your fairway has a hell of alot of sprinkler heads or you have great accuracy to hit them 300 yards away dont say those types of things.

No,its when YOU get sceptical.I don't get sceptical at all because after 25 yrs of playing I have seen enough club golfers hitting the ball this far.Maybe you haven't.

🔥 Latest posts