• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A 57 With 3 Aces in Virginia

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
PATRICK WILLS, A 59-YEAR-OLD AMATEUR, had a pretty good day recently at Laurel Hill Golf Club in Lorton, Virginia. Playing in the Summer Solstice tournament with his sons Charlie (29) and Christopher (27) and Matthew Ghormley, the former Marine shot a 57 that included three holes-in-one, two of them coming on par-4 holes.

"When we got to the green I looked down and I don't even know what I felt -- I was dumbfounded," Wills told BBC Sport about recording his third ace of the round. "I don't know if I broke out in joy such was the disbelief. It was unreal. I had never experienced anything like that before."

The odds of making three 1's in a single round are astronomical -- "well into the billions," reported BBC Sport.

Laurel Hill golf director Gene Orrico verified the scorecard.

"I was shocked," Orrico said. "I have been around golf for a long time, read the stories, and to have three [holes-in-one] in one round is incredible. Patrick has been around a long time, he is an honourable man and well respected."

The 57 on the par-71 layout was the middle round, one of three 18s played on the same day. In the first round Wills scraped it around in 68. (Ha ha.) He closed with a 66 for a 14-under total for his 20th victory in the Summer Solstice tournament. He is a plus-4 handicap who has now recorded 22 aces, all in tournaments.

BBC Sport has a detailed writeup of Wills' 57.

Source: A 57 With 3 Aces in Virginia

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Why is BBC reporting this? I don't buy it.

Edit: I looked up his ghin and he is indeed a +4.8 but all of his tournament scores were posted from the internet, with the exception of one tournament that was posted from the actual golf club (he shot 66). The 57 hasn't been posted as of today.

Again, I call B.S.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My favourite get out of jail club is the leather wedge.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Ha! I'll also add that he's been posting scores from the ladies tees (~6,000 yards)

Probably an esteemed member of another golf forum...

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
THEPLAYERHATERS.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Hit a ball on a par 3 and can't find it? Must have went in the hole and someone stole it.

Must be an ACE!!!

But seriously, if he hit 3 Ace's in one round. Congrats...that's like winning the lottery.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I'm one of those calling B.S. on this story. The chance of a player getting one ace in a round is in the millions. Now, the chance of two players getting aces in one round is even higher... but, to have the same player score three.... the odds are in the billions. Add to that fact the suggestion that two of these aces were on Par 4 holes. Those odds have been elevated even above what it would be to ace three par 3's in a single round.

I can't help but think that were this true we'd be seeing this guy on every evening news cast and late night tv. To accomplish such a feat would be monumental and, as someone said, second only to the long passed Dear Leader of North Korea.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
You probably have not heard about it because the media cannot spin it to make one group hate another. They are too busy with the Confederate Flag and Gay Marriage.

I take the guy at his word. He does not sound like a wacko. He says he did it. The people in his foursome said he did it. There were witnesses...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm one of those calling B.S. on this story. The chance of a player getting one ace in a round is in the millions. Now, the chance of two players getting aces in one round is even higher... but, to have the same player score three.... the odds are in the billions. Add to that fact the suggestion that two of these aces were on Par 4 holes. Those odds have been elevated even above what it would be to ace three par 3's in a single round.

I can't help but think that were this true we'd be seeing this guy on every evening news cast and late night tv. To accomplish such a feat would be monumental and, as someone said, second only to the long passed Dear Leader of North Korea.

Even above billions, the odds are into the quintillions.

🔥 Latest posts