• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A hole in One! But wait there's more ...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Part 1
So, it starts off like this. I live near a great golf practice complex called Golf Central. It has excellent facilities and my skill level has benefited from going there.

Their top level membership package is the Platinum membership and gives access to their exclusive short game practice area with real Srixon ZStars. There are more benefits to membership, too numerous to mention here and it's approximately $400 a year.

Anyway, last Monday night Golf Central had a fun night with two competitions: Long drive and NTP. You can see a promo photo here featuring my teaching pro in front of Trackman.

23668968_1497648190304458_2694464553628206600_o.jpg

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Part 2
For the long drive comp, you were allowed two drives and you had to guess your drive. It was measured by trackman. The player with the closest guess to their drive, would win an hour’s lesson on Trackman with my teaching pro, Matty Guyatt.

The NTP competition was a 47m (51 yards) shot to a nearby practice green. They had put down a synthetic tee area for it. The prize for NTP was a free 12 month's Platinum membership.

When I arrived at the complex, I saw there was a fair crowd near the driving range for the Trackman long drive competition. I looked across and saw that there was hardly anyone at the NTP area. So, I walked over to the NTP tee.

When it was my turn, I pulled out my 58 degree wedge. The pin was in the middle about a third of the way from the front. I knew it wasn't a full swing shot. Given that there was no one around I was allowed some warm up shots. Already the closest to the pin was about 2 feet.

My first shot was sweet but flew the green. I throttled back and my next two landed left of the pin midway between the left edge and the pin. I adjusted my aim, throttled back some more and my next shot was almost bang on. It rolled past an inch to the left of the flag stick and stopped 3 foot behind.

So, I throttled back some more. I hit my next shot. One bounce, two bounces and down the hole. Boom! Hole in one!

Then pandemonium erupted in the form of my celebration. My teaching pro was there watching as were a couple of onlookers. Everyone erupted. I dropped my club and did a crazy figure 8 run and then dropped to my knees like I'd won Wimbledon ...

Last edited:
OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
View from the Tee.JPG
Part 3

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect that to happen. My Platinum membership was due to expire in January. So now it's all good until early 2019. Words can't describe the feeling.

Here are some photos:

You can see the NTP marker from the earlier closest shot.

Thar it is.JPG

Last edited:
OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Part 4
So, on to the long drive competition. It was late and most people had gone. The rules: Guess the likely distance of your longest drive, hit two drives. If your guess is the closest you win the prize; the hour session on trackman with my teaching pro. So, it wasn't necessarily how long you hit it but how well you can guess the distance of your drive.

I stood at the tee and guessed 245m / 267 yards. Just before I was about to hit, I changed it to 250m / 273 yards. The first swing was good and the ball was straight down the pipe but I was still warming up. The next swing I concentrated on swinging easy but stepping up the speed. This one was more like it. The verdict? 252.5m / 276 yards. I was 2.5 meters from my guess. The officials looked at each other puzzled and said, "we have a tie." The two best guesses were 2.5 meters from the actual drive distance.

After looking at each other with that "what are we going to do" look, one of the officials looked at me and said, "well you've already won a prize tonight, so we might give this one to the other guy."

I had an internal chuckle because my earlier prize was the way better of the two.

So, I left the evening completely elated. It'd been a night out to remember. Already, I've ordered a hole in 1 trophy from ebay, which will end up sitting proudly next to my other.

What a night! :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
WELL DONE!!! Those are the times we are so glad someone, somewhere introduced us to the great Game of Golf. Ya did well, TTR!!!!!!! Enjoy your additional year's membership!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
WELL DONE!!! Those are the times we are so glad someone, somewhere introduced us to the great Game of Golf. Ya did well, TTR!!!!!!! Enjoy your additional year's membership!

Thanks Limp. It was almost surreal. I’ve been doing a lot of work with my teaching pro on the mental game and it’s paying benefits.

I’m working my way through this book which I picked up at his recommendation.
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1511352448.086160.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks Limp. It was almost surreal. I’ve been doing a lot of work with my teaching pro on the mental game and it’s paying benefits.

I’m working my way through this book which I picked up at his recommendation.
View attachment 29586
Not familiar with the book, but now have to get a copy. Familiar with the influence Pia Nielson had on Anika Sorenstam. Anika always said Nielson had taught that 54 was a very possible score on Tour and should be doable. There is probably not a single hole on a Tour stop that a Tour pro has not... or can not birdie. 54 is simply 18 under par on a par 72 course. That is "only" a birdie on each and every hole. There are few holes on our home course that I have not birdied at least once. So, if I can hit the shots once, there is really no excuse for not birdying them each and every time I play. I already have "And the Putter Went... Ping" on my Christmas list. May have to add this one!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Just checked on-line and our local library has a copy. I put in a request and will pick it up on my way back home this afternoon. Was just at the library last evening to pick up reading for the holiday. Grabbed 6 books. May have to set aside a couple and read about golf. How boring........:rolleyes:

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Just checked on-line and our local library has a copy. I put in a request and will pick it up on my way back home this afternoon. Was just at the library last evening to pick up reading for the holiday. Grabbed 6 books. May have to set aside a couple and read about golf. How boring........:rolleyes:

You won’t regret it Limp. I’m working my way through the book and it’s one of those “Golf and life” books. It’s very much about the mind game. I’m loving it.

As I said earlier, my teaching pro has been working on the mind game with me and it’s probably the one facet of my game that had been holding me back. The improvement to my game is palpable.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for your congratulations. [emoji108]

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You won’t regret it Limp. I’m working my way through the book and it’s one of those “Golf and life” books. It’s very much about the mind game. I’m loving it.

As I said earlier, my teaching pro has been working on the mind game with me and it’s probably the one facet of my game that had been holding me back. The improvement to my game is palpable.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for your congratulations. [emoji108]
Picked it up from the library about an hour ago. Plan to spend Thanksgiving reading.

🔥 Latest posts