• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A picture tells 1,000 words

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was at my parents tonight and mowing the lawn. I spied my dad’s golf shoes in the corner of the garage. I realised that these were left from his last game, probably 3-4 years ago, with golf balls included. I’ll bet he never figured that was his last game! It’s a little sad for me, but I know he loved playing. He’s just too old know now (85) and has advanced dimentia, so I’m guessing his next round will be up in the clouds in a fourball with his old buddies.

Gents, play EVERY game like it’s your last! You just never know.

Attachments

• A13CBAF4-C209-42FD-9DA2-948E893487F3.jpeg
    A13CBAF4-C209-42FD-9DA2-948E893487F3.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 177

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
My mom never played golf in her life but liked watching it. She was a golf fan way before I ever touched a club. She watched Tiger win the 97 Masters and became a huge fan. She witnessed his rise to becoming the Goat and his downfall due to injuries and his infidelities. She didn't condone is actions at all but said everyone has faults and people should judge themselves instead of others. All of that said, she passed away unexpectedly less than 2 weeks before Tiger won the Tour Championship.

It's not an interesting story but reading IG's post immediately made me think of mom and her love for golf.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Every day we wake up and play golf is a blessing! If I hit a bad shot... or two... or have an entire bad round, think of the people who would love to be out there shooting in the 100's. So many can't, physically or financially or mentally. And... each of us is one fall, one stroke, one heart attack, one diagnosis away. At our age, we begin to understand we have a lot less rounds left to play than we have played. So... why not enjoy every one of them? Why not have fun playing them?
I couldn't spell golf until I was in my 40's. Never played it growing up or in my early years. I was a senior in high school before my folks got their first color television. My mom... who had never set foot on a golf course in her life... would watch The Masters and talk about how beautiful the Azaleas were. Not too many years later, when in her last months of the cancer that took her life, she still watched a game on television she really knew nothing about... just for the beauty of the course and those blooming flowers.
However, you of the younger generations have no guarantees. The auto accident... the heart attack... the cancer diagnosis... Every day hug those close to you as you leave for work or play. You never know if you will enter that door again... or if those you love will be there when you do. Live as if you are going to be around in your 80's or 90's. Love as if it's your last day on Earth.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My father hated golf. Said it was the most ridiculous sport a human could waste their time on. He also bought me some foam golf balls told me not to tear up the yard when I found my Grandpa's old clubs in our garage one day when I was about 12.

Earlier this year was 10 years of him being gone. NASCAR and local stock car racing was his thing. Miss ya, Pops!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
My grandfather and my dad got me into golf. The last time I played golf with my Boompa was over xmas break of my junior year in HS (1998). I had literally just had my ACL, MCL and Meniscus operated on due to a football injury. I had my own cart and my dad and Boompa rode together. I'd crutch out to my shot attempt to hit it and crutch back to my cart. I don't remember what anyone shot that day but I wasn't going to miss the chance to play with with the 2 of them.

Fast forward a year and I'm down in Australia playing baseball and I get a call in my hotel room, my Boompa had a massive stroke and passed away. My grammie implored me to stay and finish the tournament because that's what Boompa would've wanted.

I'll never forget that last round. Miss you Boompa, RIP!

🔥 Latest posts