• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A swinging Irishman

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Took these .MOVs last week at Shannon. I'm not sure what to make of them. First one is with a 6 iron and the second is with the Big Dog (983K). A bit of lateral sway and head movement and a bit on the inside. Also my backswing looks very short. But I think the tempo is good on both.

This is the first time I have seen myself on video like this. That's why its a bit of a shock. It doesn't feel how it looks.

FYI I hit the 6 iron about 160-165
The Big Dog goes about 240-260

Thoughts / comments etc?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Does anyone know how to load these as playing movies and not attachements? Much like the golf, this whole technology thing baffles me at times.

IG

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Howya Irish, yup just how I'd imagine a #5 handicap links golfer to hit! Gotta say that you seem to get thru the ball very well, nice weight transfer, maintain a nice wide swing arc too ....

BTW Congrats on getting to the final of Junior Cup ... Lucan just too strong in the end ? -- Da Dubs ;)

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Howya Irish, yup just how I'd imagine a #5 handicap links golfer to hit! Gotta say that you seem to get thru the ball very well, nice weight transfer, maintain a nice wide swing arc too ....

BTW Congrats on getting to the final of Junior Cup ... Lucan just too strong in the end ? -- Da Dubs ;)

Jes, Dave
It was closer than it looked on paper. We were up on three matches after 12 holes. Our #1 and 4 men got tanked. But #2,3 and 5 were all a few holes up. The swinger was match 2. Our man, a budding star at just (turned) 15, was 2 up with 3 to go. The Lucan man finished birdie, par, birdie to finish and win 1 up, having never been ahead. He hit a massive 5 iron onto the last, a downwind par 5, which I'll bet was the shot of the day. there was about 200 people watching him, so firl play. Some shot down the wire. The other 2 matches were called in (hence 0.5 point each) and final score line 4-1.

The course suited them as well. A tight tree lined course, playing 6,750 yards in fairly wet conditions. It was in stark contrast to PS which doesn't boast many trees.

In fairness they looked like a team possessed, all over 6ft, like a team of Rugby players. All mid 20s, lean, mean, etc. They weren't overly friendly in any of the matches, but I can understand that. First time for them in 107 years, so fairs fair. (Portstewart won it in 1973).

I was almost asked to play in the final. Our #4 man got beaten 8&7 in the semis and his bottle went. He couldn't hit the side of a bus with a beachball in the final (+16 for 13 holes), the poor guy. Even worse, I was carrying his bag. He started duffing it, chips, putts etc. He was in tears afterwards. To be honest I didn't really feel like being thrown in at the deep end, and that's the way the captain felt, so no complaints. I wasn't even expecting to be asked to be reserve.

But all in it was a great week. We stayed in Fitzpatricks in Bunratty, ate and drank like Lords and I got playing 3 times during the week. The weather could have been kinder, but hey, you can't have everything.
There's always next year. :)

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Great tempo. I've been working with an instructor to get tempo like that. Very relaxed and controlled swing...I'm envious.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Drive for show and putt for dough The Master. Don't ever forget that!!

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. I have never really seen my swing before and I can't belive that people think its good. I knew it never sucked but hey, I guess its cool.

It was my first game in a month yesterday, the day the "clocks went back". A mixture of the sublime and the hideous. I "pured" some drives and irons, hit some nice chips and putts, but I also had some horrendous shots. I shot about +10, which I guess was about expected from the lay-off.

Here's a question though. My 3 goals to work on over the winter are.

1. Keeping the head still - does anyone have any advice on keeping the old noggin still? Watching the video I probably move my head about 2-3 inches, even though it's one of my swing thoughts to keep it still.

2. Lengthening my backswing. I have a shot and sometimes flat swing. My goal is to raise my hands higher and complete a full backswing ie to the parallel.

3. Not going back too much on the inside line. I have a tendency to bring it back on the inside which then brings it across the top. At this point its all loaded wrong. result, a big block right or a hook left. Again, any advice welcomed here.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Drive for show and putt for dough The Master. Don't ever forget that!!

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. I have never really seen my swing before and I can't belive that people think its good. I knew it never sucked but hey, I guess its cool.

It was my first game in a month yesterday, the day the "clocks went back". A mixture of the sublime and the hideous. I "pured" some drives and irons, hit some nice chips and putts, but I also had some horrendous shots. I shot about +10, which I guess was about expected from the lay-off.

Here's a question though. My 3 goals to work on over the winter are.

1. Keeping the head still - does anyone have any advice on keeping the old noggin still? Watching the video I probably move my head about 2-3 inches, even though it's one of my swing thoughts to keep it still.

2. Lengthening my backswing. I have a shot and sometimes flat swing. My goal is to raise my hands higher and complete a full backswing ie to the parallel.

3. Not going back too much on the inside line. I have a tendency to bring it back on the inside which then brings it across the top. At this point its all loaded wrong. result, a big block right or a hook left. Again, any advice welcomed here.
You do have a nice swing, Irish. You should see if you could export it across the pond; many of us would buy into it.

1. Your head movement, from what I can tell, isn't overdone. But, if you want to eliminate it completely, the following works for me. Take an address (no ball) with the sun behind you, and the shadow of your head resting on some visual clue, a brown spot in the grass, a stick, whatever. Take some swings while focusing on the head-shadow, and watch fro movement. Also, kicking the right knee in slightly helps promote a still body in the backswing and helps eliminate lateral sway.
2 & 3 Can be addressed togeather. I battle(d) a flat/inside swing also. What works(ed) wonders for me is to practice hitting balls with the ball below my feet (side-hill lie). This effectively promotes a more upright swing. Also, give a slight, "reach-for-the-sky" move at the top, a la Nicklaus. This also promotes the upright plane, but it also lengthens the backswing without promoting a sway in your backswing (which wouldn't help much for point 1). The reach-high move also keeps the club from moving beyond paralell up top, which is a common fault that creeps in with lengthening the backswing.

Hope this is something like what you were looking for. Take care, oh, Gaelic Athelete...

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Take care, oh, Gaelic Athelete...

LOL Dr. Crowe

Thanks for the tips. I will try a few things out tonight. I usually go out to my garden at 10.30pm at night and swing the club for a while. My neighbour thinks I am bonkers!! In darkness it is all about feeling the clubhead, right? (aka The Force, Luke!)

I'll try the right knee thing, ball below my feet and "reach for the sky". I've heard them all before but never really practiced them.

I'll keep you posted on progress. :thumbup:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
IG - I like your short backswing on both the iron and driver. You are a wiry sort and I am sure this gives you excellent control.

I was having problems with my Quicktime player and had not looked at these previously....

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.