• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adam Scott- How far is he hitting it!!

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Watched last weeks coverage on Setanta (sorry UK guys i caved in!) and was amazed to see just how far Adam Scott was hitting it, 243 through the air with a 3 iron!! Jeez

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i thought that was pretty long, until i played with one of my suppliers on tuesday. Played crap by the way - but anyhow....

we come to the 13th - par 3, 239yds off the tips, playing into a slight breeze and pretty flat. I pull out my driver, knowing full well my 3wood wont get there, deciding to go down the shaft and smooth instead. So - i jokingly said to him, "so, what's it going to be... little 2 iron?" - to which he replied, "nah... i'm going with the 3iron!!!!!"

Apparently he hits the 3 iron about 240-245. Now - he is a pretty long hitter, i barely outdrove him, driver vs 2iron –*but even so... maybe that isn't THAT long afterall??

I know, on a good swing i can get my 4 iron about 195, so if i did hit a 3, it'd probably go about 210.

So - an extra 30 yards... i'll give Adam Scott that.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Today at the St Jude the announcer said Adam Scott hit a 230 yd 7 iron to about 20 ft. He also made the putt for birdie. That is a looooong 7 iron.:laugh:

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Today at the St Jude the announcer said Adam Scott hit a 230 yd 7 iron to about 20 ft. He also made the putt for birdie. That is a looooong 7 iron.:laugh:

They don't tell you if it's downhill & wind behind or not though, but yes that is long!!!

That said I rekon if I thin one with my 7 iron on my downhill par 4 3rd hole I could easily reach 250, so he's a maggot!!! ;)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I watched the tourney last weekend too and was just amazed at his power...I think he is the longest hitter on the world tours.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Jason Day hits his irons farther then Adam Scott IMO. The next superstar in the Phil/Tiger type superstars.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
A guy who plays on what used to be my high school team hit his 3-iron 235 yards uphill the last time we played. He was 16 at the time. People just hit the sh*t out of the ball these days.

(For anyone who has played Atlanta Country Club, it was #2 -- 3-wood, 3-iron from the back tee. He hit it to 6 feet and missed the putt BTW.)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I watched the tourney last weekend too and was just amazed at his power...I think he is the longest hitter on the world tours.

What is amazing is he doesn't even look like he's going after it, like a Tiger or a Bubba or that left handed ping guy

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Announcers jack up distances and club selection all the time. Listen to the post press conferences and the players almost always say the club they hit was more than stated.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
I dont know, I think Scott could hit is 7 iron 230. I can hit mine just around 200 yards. You have to understand that these guys play with the lofts of the irons as well. A buddy of mine who used to live in Florida told me about Skip Kendall and Omar Uresti. He told me their 7 iron has about the same loft as regular 6 irons. Just some food for thought

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
I dont know, I think Scott could hit is 7 iron 230. I can hit mine just around 200 yards. You have to understand that these guys play with the lofts of the irons as well. A buddy of mine who used to live in Florida told me about Skip Kendall and Omar Uresti. He told me their 7 iron has about the same loft as regular 6 irons. Just some food for thought

your rac os chunky things have a 7i with the loft of an old 5 iron.

irfan

May 6, 2007
i thought i misheard the 7i going 230 comment but i guess i didnt. when i first started played i hit 240 with my 5i off the tee.. but im certain i delofted it a ton and definitely tried to crank it out there.. and it was a graphite shaft.. but that was the only club i could hit. now my 5 goes 185 :(

on a side note i read thru Hogans book.. tried a few techniques and hammered my 6i four times in a row all about 200ish and straight, but i just cant control it and end up hooking them most of the time.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I agree with Lyle,they jack it up and forget to tell you about the conditions but Langer was far more impressive than Scott,he out drove Sabbatini and Furyk in that play off,and Rory is no slouch.

On the European tour the yardages are spookily a lot more accurate,yesterday a 204yrd par 3 was all 3 irons and some low 4 irons,ie no different to what we hit

The average 5 iron on the PGA tour was 185yrds last year,FACT

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The average 5 iron on the PGA tour was 185yrds last year,FACT

Yea, the part they usually mention on the TV, or the lack of what they tell you is wind, downhill, climate etc. Yea, I can hit my 7 iron 230, on a downhill downwind hole when its 30+ degrees outside.

The avg 5 iron distance, now look at that.... 185, thats probly where our avg 5 iron is around too! fancy that (well, not counting the time we top it off the 4th tee;)) Mines about that right now, can get to about 195-200 in the heat of summer.

Members online

No members online now.