1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advertising on this site

Discussion in 'Website Q&A' started by loftgolf, Jul 17, 2008.

1. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

Hello! I am a happy, active member of this forum and would like some information in regards to advertising my website here. Can someon help?

2. Slingblade61

Slingblade61 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can help but in your case it would be a conflict of interest so I'll have to turn you down.

On the other hand, if you have $3,000,000 in cash you can just buy this already well established, revenue generating mofo. :)

Now, failing all of that. Get an adsense account. This is your only clue, I'll say no more.

3. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

Hmmmm, well I do have the 3mm you spoke of but I was hoping that it would give me 4-5 months of exposure on this site:unhappy:. Oh well, I guess I'll give my 3mm to Google!:thumbs up:

Ummmm, by the way, how is this a conflict of interest?

4. Rockford35

Rockford35 Shark skin shoes Staff Member Admin

Canada Canada
    Stupid questions will not be tolerated.

It's obvious that you have a golf forum.

R35

5. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

Yup, yup I do! I guess that would be the conflict the, huh?

6. Slingblade61

Yes, that was a stupid question.

Take heart though. Any other golf forum would have squashed you from the get go. I, however, in my magnificent benevolence, allow you to live. :D

All praise.

Amen.

7. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

Honestly, I am not looking to compete with this forum. I am more interested in selling shirts and such and may delete my forum, but I will keep the blog. I do not want to compete with this forum 'cause i like it! Yup, I love this forum and think of every member while in bed preparing to sleep:shocked:. Well, not really, but I do like the people here! If I drop the forum will you all participate on my blog? Or would that also be a conflict?

8. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

One more thing, I have been a very loyal poster to this site and have never tried to market my site here. I just thought that was important to state. :emot-ange

9. Slingblade61

You're young, aren't you?

20 something?

I ask because what you are asking makes no financial sense.

Just pay me the 3 million. I'll stay on for one year in an advisory capacity and sign a 2 year no compete clause.....such a deal!

10. JamesR

JamesR Interlocking Now

You sort of just did. You basically did what people on other golf sites do to bump their Classifieds ad

11. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

Funny you ask, Slingblade. I am a "young" 47 year old that has been self employed for most of my adult life. The last business I owned was the largest boat dealership in the state of CT with sales in excess of $12,000,000 per year. Prior to that I owned a large mergers and acquisition firm, also in CT. This is my first effort with anything but a "brick and mortar" business. I am experienced enough to realize that there is NO web forum that would bring enough of a return to justify a $3mm purchase price, regardless of the covenant you are willing to sign. I have not insulted you, or the work you've put into this site, and I would appreciate the same consideration from you! What part, short of my sarcastic offer of $3mm makes no sense to you?

12. Slingblade61

You had a link to it in your very first post.

We are very similar. You have a year on me but I too have been self employed almost my whole life, the difference is that I have never had "brick and mortar" but that's just an aside.

Getting to the point;

Yes, going blog only would remove the conflict.
    The part I do not understand is why you would want to pay to advertise a blog on a specific website. To me you would just be throwing money away.

There are zillions of blogs and almost no successful ones as compared to the existing numbers.

I do not see how (or why) anyone would buy your gear if it were not attached to a thriving community or blog. It LOOKS nice and the phrase is catchy if you know what it means but to me, you need to do some serious work to build an audience before you're going to sell any swag.

Content is king.

You can advertise here if you want to but if you don't have the goods to back it up, you're just wasting your money.

I very strongly suggest that you develop the blog (or forum, or both) in conjunction with a google adsense campaign. You will gain MUCH more exposure there than you will here.

13. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

I really do appreciate your input, Slingblade, and feel the advice is good. However, I am heading in a different direction than you. I am not interested in adsence as my monetization plan is through apparel sales, not web base ads. I was opposed to the forum in the first place but the research I'd done said it would be a way to get people to the site more often. I feel there are more than enough golf forums/blogs on the internet, and many are quite good, including this one. I designed my site to bring people back as much as possible but am relying most on the 'cart girl competition'. I find the forum and blog to be very time consuming and I realize I can't re-invent the wheel. We now have hundreds of shirts, golf accessories, etc., with more items incoming. That is what we're looking to sell, not ads!

One other point, you stated that I had a link in my first post. That is correct, but when you explained the forum rules I immediately apologized and took it down instantly. As a businessman yourself, you really can't blame me for trying:).

14. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

I suspect that you will now leave us to pursue other financial opportunities. Thanks for being here.

15. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

It was never my intent to pursue any financial opportunities here! I'm doing just fine on my own, Eracer. Thanks for your concern.

16. Eracer

Sure you are. You want to advertise. There's nothing wrong with that. Your silly posts were quite endearing. There was really no attempt to engage in converstion, but that's OK. You had an agenda. I can respect that.

17. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

A few points, Eracer, if I may. The idea of advertising on this site came after almost a hundred posts and realizing I really like the people associated with this forum, and felt they would enjoy our product. Secondly, I really haven't seen a lot of posters "engage in conversation" on this or any other forum for that matter. I did the "silly" posts because I had fun posting them and hoped people had fun reading and responding to them. NO agenda! I'm sorry that offering income opportunities for this site would insult so many people and will never do it again!

18. Eracer

I apologize if I offended you. I make more than my share of silly posts, but generally it's with people that I've established a rapport with, either through a few semi-serious discussions in the Member section, PM's or just general conversation. You seem an intelligent fellow, and I hope that we can get beyond the silly stuff (from both of us) and enjoy talking golf here. I never look down down on anyone who is trying to earn a living, whether it's brick and mortar or on the web. Everyone has to feed their family, right?

I threw my two cents (which is about all it's worth) into this conversation only because nearly every post you've made has been nonsensical (again, not that there's anything wrong with that, unless it's a dissemblance...) and then this post comes along, and we learn a bit about you. Part of what we learn is that you have a business that you would like to promote here. Nothing wrong with that either. It just felt a bit sneaky. Perhaps I misunderstood, and again, if so, I apologize for that.

19. loftgolf

loftgolf noob no more!

Business is what I do, not what I am. I apologize if my posts are nonsensical, but they are intended to be. I love golf! I've only been playing for 10 years and wish I took the game up earlier but didn't have the time, being in a retail business. I do not take golf seriously! Sure, I'm an addict and golf way more than I'd like to admit, but I still suck at the game! I still shoot in the 90s and perhaps if I took this silly game more seriously I'd score better. I golf for fun, and have fun every time I'm on the course. I have had more than my share of adversity in my life and refuse to take this game too seriously. Secondly, there was absolutely nothing "sneaky" with the way I approached advertising on this site. What is "sneaky" about posting the question in the public forum?

I agree with you Eracer, let's get back to enjoying talk about golf and get beyond this. I will tell you though, I will continue to post "nonsensical" posts, as that's what I excel at:p! I'm pretty sure no one is looking for me to give them swing advice!:D

20. Eracer

I'm down with that. Down like a clown, Charlie Brown...:prop: