• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aldila NV vs. VS Proto "by you"

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm looking to pick up a new driver in the next month or so and I'm noticing that this year's stock Aldila shaft seems to be the VS Proto. I currently play, and like, the NV in my 3W and I had the best driving day of my life while I was playing a NV shafted SQ Tour 460 the other day so it's safe to say that the NV works for me. On paper, the shafts seem to have very similar specs with the VS having about 1/2* less torque. Anybody out there have experience with both shafts and can compare?

Ez, I know you had the VS Proto hybrid; you like that one, right? Any experience with the NV?

Rock - I know the NV isn't for you but I believe I've seen you champion the VS; what differences did you notice?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The NVS you mean.

I don't have an opinion from personal experience on the VS (By You), but the NVS is a stellar shaft. It's alot more stout than the NV and reacts well to higher SS's in the stiff flex. It's higher launch, but it's a very boring flight, so you get maximum distance with roll on the end. My new Ft-3 is coming with one, and the HiBore that YoungGun has now had an NVS in it that I hit about half a bucket with and smoked almost every one in a row over 280. Then, i went loco, and sold the bloody thing. (This is because I am an idiot, nothing more. It wasn't the arrow, definitely.)

I would suggest hitting one. I think you'd be surprised how good it is.

That being said, I have heard almost nothing bad about the VS. It's apparently the best of both the NV and NVS world and mimicks nano technology for repeatability.

If you can, try both. Either are a solid choice, as long as it works for you.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Titleist 905R 9.5*Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec S

Why not reshaft your 905R with an NV if you prefer it to the Speeder

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I knew the NVS would pop up in the discussion. (figured you or WBL would throw it out there ;) )

I've yet to try the NVS but the fact that it is higher launch worries me. I really have to be careful with driver launch conditions. When I was demoing a ProLaunch shafted 10.5* G5 last year I was getting launches angles of 20*!

On Wednesday I was getting the best launch and ball flights I've ever seen from swing. I'm playing a buddies SQ Tour and the offer on the table to keep it is good ($120) but for some stupid reason I'm stuck on wanting a brand new '07 driver; even if it isn't the best thing for my game... :(

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I had a Hogan driver with the NV. Shaft felt OK but the ball fell out of the sky like a wounded quail.

My current Titty has the VS. Shaft feels great and ball go good most days. Needs more horsepower on end holding handle.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Chem,

The NVS is NOT the ProLaunch Blue. Not even close. It's a bit of a misnomer, in my opinion, that it launches way higher than the NV. That's not what happened in my experiences.

I'm a low ball hitter with my woods to begin with. My launch was around 14* with that, which is pretty sweet at 112mph.

R35

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Titleist 905R 9.5*Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec S

Why not reshaft your 905R with an NV if you prefer it to the Speeder

I actually love the Speeder in the 905R (prefer the speeder to the NV) but I need a little more forgiveness than the 905 has to offer. It's great when I'm on but awful when I'm not. The SQ Tour is much more forgiving. If I didn't have to trim the tip of the Speeder so much post pull from the Titty, I'd probably pull that and drop it in the SQ Tour.

I'm really looking forward to the 907 D1 (the reason I haven't bought anything yet). I love the sound and feel of Titty drivers but I'm just not consistant enough for their less than dime size sweet spots. :(

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Chem,

The NVS is NOT the ProLaunch Blue. Not even close. It's a bit of a misnomer, in my opinion, that it launches way higher than the NV. That's not what happened in my experiences.

I'm a low ball hitter with my woods to begin with. My launch was around 14* with that, which is pretty sweet at 112mph.

R35

I realize the NVS is a mid-launch and the ProLaunch is a high launch shaft, I threw that out there to demonstrate just how high I can get my launch angle.

It seems like just about every manuf. offers the NVS as a shaft choice but no shop stocks it (I'm making the assumption that the Callaway NVS is like the Titleist Speeder in that it isn't exactly the same as the non-OEM stamped model). There's a local club guy that has set-up some heads for quick shaft change outs (ala the Callaway system) but he doesn't have the newest heads set-up with it and I'd feel like a prick demoing shafts from him when I know I'm not going to buy anything from him.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I When I was demoing a ProLaunch shafted 10.5* G5 last year I was getting launches angles of 20*!

Somehow I managed to match those launch angles using my old 10.5* R5 Dual fitted with a Prolaunch RED in it - supposedly the low launch shaft. I dread to think what a Prolaunch Blue in it would have done.

Don't even ask what launch angles I got when I tried out the original Hibore... :wow:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've yet to try the NVS but the fact that it is higher launch worries me.

chemboy2

It's a mid-bend and not very high launch (more mid-launch). I had to get away from high launch shafts due to ballooning and I DON'T balloon it with the NVS. Best I've found and I've tried almost everything except the NV (low launch) and VS (higher launch then NVS). :)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The VS proto is a slightly higher launch than the NVS but it is far lower spin. It is a very tip stiff shaft with a soft butt.
It has a lot more control than either the NVS or the NV.
Just remember that the stock OEM versions are usually shafts that fall outside of the tolerences used for aftermarket shafts models.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I was looking at VS earlier this year. The aldila site sucks for information on the VS so I looked on GS,GG,GW and did some Google searches and found a lot of different information on its launch height. Some say low some say mid. All I wanted to know is how it compared to the NV and I couldn’t get a straight answer. I even e-mail aldila and talked to a Golf Smith tech and they both said the launch is similar to the NV but with lower torque. So I wanted a little higher launch and saved a 100$ and went with a V2 and it works perfect for me.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The VS proto is a slightly higher launch than the NVS but it is far lower spin. It is a very tip stiff shaft with a soft butt.
It has a lot more control than either the NVS or the NV.
Just remember that the stock OEM versions are usually shafts that fall outside of the tolerences used for aftermarket shafts models.

I've actually wondered about that. The VS Protos offered in the SUMO (no, not the square one) and the 907s are both labeled 65 while the all the aftermarket models are 60, 70, etc.

Interesting about the respective launches, the literature lists the NVS as mid-launch and the VS as low-launch. I'll see if the local GS will allow me to play around with their Callaway fitting system that allows you to swap out shafts with the twist of wrench...

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I was looking at VS earlier this year. The aldila site sucks for information on the VS so I looked on GS,GG,GW and did some Google searches and found a lot of different information on its launch height. Some say low some say mid. All I wanted to know is how it compared to the NV and I couldn’t get a straight answer. I even e-mail aldila and talked to a Golf Smith tech and they both said the launch is similar to the NV but with lower torque. So I wanted a little higher launch and saved a 100$ and went with a V2 and it works perfect for me.

Agreed about the Aldila site info, hence this thread. :)

I had the V2 in the r7 Quad I just sold. The launch was a little too high for me but I did like the feel of the shaft, it had a pretty nice kick to it. For some reason I have the assumption that the V2 and NVS are similar, anyone know if that's the case? (shoot, I'll jack my own thread :laugh: )

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online