• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Any good golfers out there go through weeks of shanking?

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Some of what you refer to is covered in detail in a very good 2 dvd set by Butch Harmon called "About Golf". You might look on ebay and scavange a set for very little. It is a good review of a comprehensive set of details related to the game. If I had a critical observation about it, its minor, but ol' Butch is portly and his turn and momentum shifts are a little hard to see, but you have that down already I would think.

Thanks, I'm a little hesitant on DVDs since I got the Purestrike DVD a whole back and it was horrible. But Butch knows his stuff and is endorsed a lot more than Purestrike. I'll probably give it a try

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1391316190.778389.jpg

Anyone spot anything wrong with this position at the too?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Getting set up to come inside? plane is a little wonky. Death grip stopping club movement back to lag. hard angle to see. Definitely a good day to have fun. Ben Hogan might say that cub head is a foot too high. Who is that?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
View attachment 23642
Anyone spot anything wrong with this position at the too?
1.) Too young: If you're worried about a few shanks, wait until you've played this game another 20 years. You'll cure the shanks... then the drives begin going left or right... then the irons develop an stupid attitude... then the putter goes bananas. Golf is a game that only a few conquer all aspects for any length of time, and we watch them on television on Sunday.
2.) Too physically fit: You need to add 40 pounds of beer gut and lose some of that muscular tone in your forearms. If not, go play baseball or video games. Golf is for us who have difficulty bending over to put our shoes on.
3.) Wrong hat: The only folks who are successful wearing a Taylor Made hat are those paid to do so. Amateurs cannot possibly play this game well unless we wear Titleist or Ping hats... or hats done in camo advertising the local lumber yard or implement dealer.

Other than that... Hey! Looks pretty good to me! Work through the speedbumps that you will encounter playing this game. Then, go out and have fun!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I really don't even want to look at this thread...let alone say the word. It's the one shot that will truely get in a golfers head and mentally bring him to his knees. Thin, fat, smothered or sliced...no shot strikes a nerve like the s****.

Sorry, there is no cure.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Your putter grip is a regular grip.
No its not. The swing is the same, but the grip is for a short vertical club and is in the lifeline of the left hand, and the right thumb is definitely over the right forefinger to prevent head twist with a light grip.

Goober.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
i'm there at the moment - sh!t feeling!! when i finished my (horrible) round on sunday i was thinking of selling my bag and take up something new, maybe collecting stamps or something.....:eek: but i will be working heavily on the range, going back to basics and start to enjoy the game again!:oops:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ok been silent long enough. Keep weight on right heel throughout backswing and transition. I found myself moving weight to my toes though my swing, DISASTER!! Shank City on every swing, even chips. Other than that my swing us text book.. Just had a few Anchors Steams! :)

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
i'm there at the moment - sh!t feeling!! when i finished my (horrible) round on sunday i was thinking of selling my bag and take up something new, maybe collecting stamps or something.....:eek: but i will be working heavily on the range, going back to basics and start to enjoy the game again!:oops:

I almost sold my clubs after last Saturday. I'd probably pick up quilting or knitting if I did . I left the course after 9 when I was already 12 over. Got a lesson, worked on what I was taught then went out and played again and shot an 83. With a new overlapping grip I'm having to figure out my yardages again, had no shanks just came up short or flew the green. I won't complain about solid strikes though. My yardages will come back with time.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
I almost sold my clubs after last Saturday. I'd probably pick up quilting or knitting if I did . I left the course after 9 when I was already 12 over. Got a lesson, worked on what I was taught then went out and played again and shot an 83. With a new overlapping grip I'm having to figure out my yardages again, had no shanks just came up short or flew the green. I won't complain about solid strikes though. My yardages will come back with time.

as i said, selling was definately on the cards....but luckily i got over it - just going to try and relax, i play Golf for fun and i need to remember that - i'm not trying to impress anybody (this is 90% of my problem). will take a week break from touching my clubs and go back at it next week again....trying to forget the last round and start fresh.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Basically in a nut shell my fix for the dreaded shank was changing to an overlapping grip. Inside to out swing with right thumb (for the right handed player) stays rested on the weak side of the grip and focused on rotating with primarily my left hand. Found when I rotate with my right hand it gets the club head moving all funky. Letting my left to rotate more gave me a smooth and crisp rotation. Also helped me go back to taking clean textbook divots. Good feeling it 'twas

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online