• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone Else Get Their Free Windows 10?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Yeah, Windows 7 has been the defacto standard OS in the business world for many years. Windows 8 was a complete and utter failure. Windows 10 should be a winner.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Does it start quicker as claimed?
That's far more dependent on your hardware than the OS installed....Windows is a hog and isn't going to get any smaller or significantly more performant.

If you want fast startup times, you need to install a Solid State Drive. Read/Write speeds magnitudes faster than the platter style drives.

My current laptop with a Samsung 850 EVO 250gig SSD will go from me hitting the restart button, to a login screen in under 15 seconds...after I type my credentials, I'm fully functioning in another 5 seconds or less. Now...I have an i7 core processor(which helps slightly)...but my last laptop did too and it was significantly slower to boot...in the 1 to 1.5 minute range.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Yeah, Windows 7 has been the defacto standard OS in the business world for many years. Windows 8 was a complete and utter failure. Windows 10 should be a winner.
Was there a Windows 9? Or did Gates and Co forget how to count?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
That's far more dependent on your hardware than the OS installed....Windows is a hog and isn't going to get any smaller or significantly more performant.

If you want fast startup times, you need to install a Solid State Drive. Read/Write speeds magnitudes faster than the platter style drives.

My current laptop with a Samsung 850 EVO 250gig SSD will go from me hitting the restart button, to a login screen in under 15 seconds...after I type my credentials, I'm fully functioning in another 5 seconds or less. Now...I have an i7 core processor(which helps slightly)...but my last laptop did too and it was significantly slower to boot...in the 1 to 1.5 minute range.
I have a laptop set up for gaming and it has an SSD and it does great on startup too. It's especially handy because it seems like games are always needing updates and a restart.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I really like Windows 8 / 8.1 ... after I downloaded software from Stardock which makes the start button appear like a 'normal' Windows layout. From memory it's less than $20 to download. Works perfectly.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.