• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone heard of Tim Larkin the martial arts bloke?

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
He's over here at the mo' causing quite a stir regarding his policy of teaching, quite literally, deadly defence techniques to members of the public.

The one thing that the media is particularly picking up on is the "kill a man in 4 moves" thing which sounds odd, but there must be more to it than the description hints at. His philosophy differs from normal self defence where you are told to do what you can to give yourself a chance to get out of there. He seems to want you to go a bit further when retalliating, almost to teach them a lesson, a possibly deadly one.

It's hard to seperate hype from negative media sentiment and the truth, so I'd be interested to know if any of you have heard of him or maybe even attended his course.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Never heard of him, let alone taken his class.

The 'media' LOVES scare tactics. 'kill a man in 4 moves' is a wet dream for a media source.

If it takes you 4 moves to kill someone, you are doing something very wrong. There are currently 7 things on my desk right now(in an office where there is a strict NO WEAPONS rule, god i hate Madison) that i could use to kill someone just by standing up and jamming it in their throat or chest....and without almost immediate medical attention they would most likely die unless i happened to miss everything vital running through the throat.

4 moves sounds a bit slow to me....

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
It's all media fishing. Teaching someone the 5-point palm exploding heart technique is one thing... but can they actually do it is another!

YouTube - The Bride Kills Bill

Aside from that... as far as self defense goes... if someone jumps on me I'm going to do any and everything I can think of to protect myself. I'm not a fighter and won't start shit.. so the term "fair fight" doesn't compute with me. Someone jumps me you better believe I'm going to look for something to kill that F$%^&r if I have to. Or at least gouge an eye out! :prop:

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I'll agree with you about the fair fight part. If I end up having to fight, the one thing it won't be is "fair".

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
If I end up getting in a fight, which thankfully hasn't happened in the last 15+ years, all bets are off. I will gouge eyes, kick you in the balls, yank your hair, etc.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
NEver heard of him, but the description completely interferes with the definition of a Martial Art...

acrossthepond

Sep 24, 2009
a. you're right, which is why he's not even remotely a martial artist.
b. gouging eyes sounds good but unless you've practiced it, you won't do it in a real fight. you'll revert to what you know.
c. i have taken his training. it's not at all what it's made out to be here. it'll change your perspective on violence regardless of where you've been or what you've done.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
c. i have taken his training. it's not at all what it's made out to be here. it'll change your perspective on violence regardless of where you've been or what you've done.

Well come on then, you can't leave us hanging like that! :D

I don't fight. I shoot.

Don't get us started on that again, I remember a huge thread a couple of years ago on that topic and not one person was willing to give any ground to the opposing argument, the MB divide was massive :shocked:

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Well, I certainly know the climate here when it comes to guns, but I see no difference in learning to kill someone with mixed martial arts, a wooden stick, or a gun. It all lends to the same end result, and the only difference is to argue that a stick wasn't "made" to kill only.. I'm trained and licensed with a weapon, I use it for competitions and for fun, and on the flip side, if attacked, I certainly don't feel that I should throw down and tussle with some maniac in the dirt, and risk anything. I'll simply drop him with $.50 worth of lead and copper and keep my hands clean. It's no different than you training to kill a man in 4 moves with your hands and lazer beam eyes.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Well, I certainly know the climate here when it comes to guns, but I see no difference in learning to kill someone with mixed martial arts, a wooden stick, or a gun. It all lends to the same end result, and the only difference is to argue that a stick wasn't "made" to kill only.. I'm trained and licensed with a weapon, I use it for competitions and for fun, and on the flip side, if attacked, I certainly don't feel that I should throw down and tussle with some maniac in the dirt, and risk anything. I'll simply drop him with $.50 worth of lead and copper and keep my hands clean. It's no different than you training to kill a man in 4 moves with your hands and lazer beam eyes.

I'm trying really hard not to bite here ;)

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
About what? Him exercising his constitutional right?

No, about the issue of guns being widely available to people most of whom you wouldn't trust to look after your goldfish for a weekend.

Consider me biting.:p

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
No, about the issue of guns being widely available to people most of whom you wouldn't trust to look after your goldfish for a weekend.

Consider me biting.:p

Cars are widely available to these people as well. And they kill more humans/year than guns....

"OH, but cars weren't invented specifically to kill people like guns were"

Point? Fact is they still kill more people than guns....so there needs to be more regulations right? That will stop cars from killing people right?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My apologizes for the subject change. EnglishGolfer, don't bite.. Just leave it be. I appreciate that you think I'm some nut that can't be trusted to take care of a goldfish, so I'll hold off any personal judgement on my side..... :rolleyes: I've seen what "oh nos!! guns!!" will do to many people here, and respect their stances, regardless if I think it's silly or not.

In all seriousness, I'm not gonna take it any further than my original point. Martial Arts, and Guns.. no difference. They all are for self defense, killing, injuring, and both are used in forms of recreation with peaceful means.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.