• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone know about these or something better?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Since I can't golf for a few months I'm going to build myself a new set of irons (5-PW). I think it would be cool to play a set I made. So what do you think of these iron heads and these shafts and if you know of something better "splain" yourself. Thanks.

Maltby ST-i Iron Heads

Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Axis Iron Shaft - Golf Shafts - Diamond Tour Golf

Those are some SGI heads and high launch shafts, are you trying to elevate your iron shots? Judging by your current irons and some of the irons you have had in the past (Ping S series) they will likely launch a lot higher.

If you want to stick with heads, you may want to look for lower launching shafts.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I made up a 4-iron using that shaft and love the flight. I'm probably gonna make up a 5-iron and try it out before I make the whole set. Then again, since it's now winter here and can't try it out, I might just risk it and make the whole set.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
If you like the flight, go for it. Always enjoy clubs I made.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Since I can't golf for a few months I'm going to build myself a new set of irons (5-PW). I think it would be cool to play a set I made. So what do you think of these iron heads and these shafts and if you know of something better "splain" yourself. Thanks.

Maltby ST-i Iron Heads

Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Axis Iron Shaft - Golf Shafts - Diamond Tour Golf
Excellent choices. Jerry. I have sold a LOT of those shafts in sets I've built. I have a buddy who's a 6 handicapper and I just reshafted his PING IsI BeCu set with those shafts - he's in love.....shot 74 today in our league match. Those heads will be high launchers. Maltby is high quality stuff. Another great choice in SGI heads for those shafts would be Acer XV HT from ValueGolf.com or Hireko.com

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Acer XV HT is the head I used for my 4-iron. I like it but thought Maltby would be better?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Acer XV HT is the head I used for my 4-iron. I like it but thought Maltby would be better?
I would rate Maltby as a bit higher in quality. I have a playing partner here in FL that has a set of Acer XV heads in his bag and they are a year old now and are starting to rust and the finish is dull. Keep in mind that Florida's humidity and sandy soil is HARD on steel.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Let me know when you start on these. I will "assist" you, since I too can't play golf for a long long time (winter).

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I would rate Maltby as a bit higher in quality. I have a playing partner here in FL that has a set of Acer XV heads in his bag and they are a year old now and are starting to rust and the finish is dull. Keep in mind that Florida's humidity and sandy soil is HARD on steel.
I think Santa is going to give me these so after X-mas something.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Those are some SGI heads and high launch shafts, are you trying to elevate your iron shots? Judging by your current irons and some of the irons you have had in the past (Ping S series) they will likely launch a lot higher.

If you want to stick with heads, you may want to look for lower launching shafts.

OG's like him can hit it low anytime but when you need a moon ball it's not as easy (especially on your back!). All of my clubs are setup for a high launch and my ss is still decent ~110 w/driver. I personally just end up needing a higher launch in most situations and it's easier if all it takes is a stock swing. I have no issue and enjoy flighting it down when needed. That's just me. One of my friends is the exact opposite, so, yah...

🔥 Latest posts