• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone watching the Olympics??

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I don't have to prove anything to you, Jim. Relax. You've ignored every point I've made anyway. Maybe he wouldn't have even qualified without his advantage. You know, considering hundreds of thousands try and almost all of them fail.

If you can't see, or at least CONSIDER the advantage based on what I've already said, I can't help you. Winning or losing is irrelevant. It is an advantage.

I ignored your points because you ignored mine. Prove to me its an unfair advantage. He has no legs!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If its such an advantage, why aren't more runners having their lower legs removed and these prosthetics installed? If its an advantage, why did the IOC allow it? Nobody has answered that yet.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I addressed the IOC situation. You'll probably say, "BUT YOU CANT PROVE THAT!!!" indeed. You'd have to ask them exactly why they did it, and they would probably lie. The Olympics is a very money-hungry, politically driven endeavor.

Other athletes haven't done it because:

1.) they assumed it would never be allowed. It shouldn't be.

2.) the natural leg is also capable of lateral movement, jumping, etc. The natural leg is a better utility in life, but NOT IN SPRINTING. The cheetah blades shed all the unnecessary parts of the leg that are not used for sprinting and augment the characteristics used for speed in a straight line. And they're lighter, stronger, and more reliable.

It really seems simple to me. I don't understand the emotional hangup about this. I still say good for him getting to have his dream come true, but as was said before by myself and Eclark (then ignored by you) he might as well get to compete with a jet pack or a motorized scooter because...

OMG HE HAS NO LEGS *SOBCRYPUKE*

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I was extremely impressed that the winner of his semi-final heat went to him, congratulated him, and exchanged name plates with him. It clearly showed the level of respect at least one of his competitors has for him.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Jim, so far your only points have been that 'he has no legs' and that he didn't win.

I'm not sure how that proves that it's not an advantage. Maybe he just simply wasn't good enough?

The pure fact(and this cannot be argued) is that his lower legs absolutely cannot fatigue. That's an unfair advantage. 100% pure advantage. Whether he took advantage of that unfair advantage or not is irrelevant. The fact that he has no legs is irrelevant. The fact that he has a dream to be in the Olympics is irrelevant.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim, so far your only points have been that 'he has no legs' and that he didn't win.

I'm not sure how that proves that it's not an advantage. Maybe he just simply wasn't good enough?

The pure fact(and this cannot be argued) is that his lower legs absolutely cannot fatigue. That's an unfair advantage. 100% pure advantage. Whether he took advantage of that unfair advantage or not is irrelevant. The fact that he has no legs is irrelevant. The fact that he has a dream to be in the Olympics is irrelevant.

So you don't think his legs can fatigue? They may not fatigue the same way as other runners but they still fatigue. There is no advantage there.

I havent looked it up, but i don't know for sure that his legs aren't HEAVIER than a "natural" leg-correct me if I'm wrong.

There really isn't anything you guys can say to make me believe a man with no "lower" legs can have ANY sort of unfair advantage in a race.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
So you don't think his legs can fatigue? They may not fatigue the same way as other runners but they still fatigue. There is no advantage there.

I havent looked it up, but i don't know for sure that his legs aren't HEAVIER than a "natural" leg-correct me if I'm wrong.

There really isn't anything you guys can say to make me believe a man with no "lower" legs can have ANY sort of unfair advantage in a race.

No, his lower leg cannot fatigue. There's no arguing that.

So if we put the man with no lower legs in the race on a motorcycle, it's not an unfair advantage?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
No, his lower leg cannot fatigue. There's no arguing that.

So if we put the man with no lower legs in the race on a motorcycle, it's not an unfair advantage?

In a motorcycle race? No its not an unfari advantage. In a sprint it is, but he doesn't get to ride a motorcycle.

Are you saying his leg, from the knee down where the prosthesis is cannot fatigue?

Also, the fact that he has not tendons or muscles in his calf/ankle etc can also be seen as a disadvantage.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I guess the only way we will know is to cut off Bolt's legs and put on some proshtesis and give it a go.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Not worth it, eClark. This is not complicated, and every reasonable person I've discussed this with, even if they initially thought it couldn't be an advantage, ended up considering the proper perspective. Tis is bordering on fanaticism, and just isn't worth discussing further. You and I have made many fair points, and it is only responded to with emotional, incoherent shrieks of BUT HE HAS NO LEGS!!!

Ive discussed it's with many, many people. Not ONE of them has had such a ridiculously arbitrary, irrational stance on the issue. It's not a level playing field, whether he wins or not. His lower legs are not subject to the danger(s) that the natural leg is. Regardless of the IOC's agenda (ratings,money,buzz because they can say "the first double amputee to compete") it is quite apparently an advantage. For further explanation, see EVERY POST I'VE MADE SO FAR.

Edit: Jim, maybe it's a gap in knowledge. Are you aware of what those cheetah blades do? They have a stable material memory that creates a spring effect back to form when stress is applied. The normal leg doesn't have this, and requires energy expenditure (aerobic respiration, heat production, severe muscular stress) to return to form and propel the body forward. Those cheetah blades spring without any effort by the user. He is propelled by science in a way that a normal human body can potentially emulate, but only at extreme cost to the body. Many athletes sprain/strain ankles, feet, and calves running. This CAN'T HAPPEN for this guy, because he's on devices that create all the advantages of human legs without any of the costs.

His body doesn't expend as much energy because the blades "spring" naturally. He can't even stand still because of how reactive they are. He doesn't get out of breath as quickly since his body isn't using as much oxygen as the other runners. He can't get a lower leg injury. They are, without a doubt, lighter than normal human legs (since they are tooled specifically to sprinting, and have no utility for other things regular legs are for [jumping, lateral movement])

Honestly, none of that has you considering this might be an advantage, even if he doesn't win? Maybe he'd be slow as crap with real legs. You're a good guy, and I really can't understand where the lack of understanding is here.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Right, so you agree it's a unfair playing field.

In this case I think he meant "no tendons..."

Which led me to my thought about the lack of understanding as to what the cheetah blades to. All the purpose and advantages of those human elements with none of the risks or disadvantages. They're really awesome and I'm totally thrilled that he can do what he's done, but it really isn't fair. In terms of the 100m dash, those are superior to the human leg. He's faster than almost every human on the planet. Only a handful of the worlds fastest guys can beat him.

In every other aspect of life, the human leg wins because it does more than sprint. Going up stairs, jumping, and moving side to side are probably very difficult for him. But in the 100m dash, he's got the best tools available, human or not.

Winning not relevant. He is producing speed and covering distance with less effort and less stress and less danger on his body than a runner on natural legs. That's why it's unfair. That he still didn't make the medal race is a testament to how incredibly fast these other guys are. Itmdoes NOT signify a lack of advantage.

🔥 Latest posts