• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are Ping the easiest hitting drivers?

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
United States United States
I play a Titleist 983K. I have been told repeatedly that the 983K is not the easiest club to hit. So, it is always in the back of my mind that perhaps I should try to search out the easiest hitting driver. All my research, more or less, seems to point toward the Ping. But, you guys are the experts. What do you think?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Snake Eyes Viper Ti-4. Best driver I have ever hit. If OEM is what you are looking for, I have heard a lot of good things about the Cleveland Launcher. Nsherman ought to know as he owns or has owned just about every club out there:) .

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
3 reasons why the 983 isn't the easiets driver to hit

small sweetspot
small head
weight more in the middle of the club

so most 420,440 or particularly 460 heads will be easier,the Cleveland Launcher is ridiculousy easy to hit,no harder than a Ping,although the G5 has a sweetspot bigger than Italy.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
I never had a hard time hitting my 983k. In fact I think it's the best club EVER made. Yes you read that right.

But I do have a G2 now and it flies. Very easy to hit. Still have the K just in case.

I can't "work" the ping as easy as the K though.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I have a 983K as well. On the rare occasions that I hit it in the sweetspot, it is beautiful. On this other hand, it does seem to produce some rather spectacular diving hooks.

I really need to demo about 30 different drivers on the same day.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Launcher 460 Ti.

If you can't hit this thing straight, grab your bananas and get back in the cage.

When I demo'd the Launcher, it had the stock stiff shaft in it for the first go. I kept swinging harder and harder until i was nearly outta my shoes. That friggin' thing went farther and farther, and straight every frickin' time.

That's right, I used the F-word twice to describe the Launcher. It's just that effen good. :D

The G2 is nice, but not as nice as the Launcher in my opinion.

Another stupid easy club to hit is the Cobra. I'll also mention the Mizuno as well. And the new MX-500 driver from Mizuno is supposed to be even more forgiving, if that's possible.

Try 'em out, see what feels best in your mitts.

R35

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
I thought the same thing last year with my beloved 983k, I ended up getting the 905s, more forgiving but I can still work the ball and its just more consistant. I have hit the g5, g2, 454bb and other big heads and i get an increase in yardage but cant shape the ball, no doubt a 10-20 handicap will gain alot more consistancy on their drives with a big headed club.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Rockford35 said:
Launcher 460 Ti.

If you can't hit this thing straight, grab your bananas and get back in the cage.
I have the G2. It is my experience that the G2 is a better club if hit solid. The Launcher (actually the Comp, have not tried the Ti) is much more forgiving and has a much larger sweet spot to hit solid. I am by no means a great ball striker with my driver and if I had it to do over again I would probably certainly go with the Launcher. The G2 is a great club, but the way I strike the ball with my driver is sometimes out of control and I think I would be rewarded more often with the Launcher. I understand that it would be more desirable to get my driver under control, but I try and I try, and my driver is the only club that chooses not to comply.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
What will the difference be for me, I bought a Cleveland Launcher 460 off ebay today. I will be going from a Titleist 983 E 8.5 stiff graffaloy shaft to a Cleveland Launcher 460 9.5 degree stiff Fujikura stock shaft.

My normal ball flight was a lower draw probably 260-270, I have 110-115 swing speed.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
My beginner mate ordered one of those "Plus 10" drivers off the golf channel which it is almost impossible to mis-hit. I was hitting it one handed it was that easy. However, it's crap. Scream one from the middle and it makes no difference! Instead of a hot spot in the middle it's like the whole club head is just tepid. I bet you could hit it back to front and still get 230 yards out of it.

It was consistently 40 yards behind my Cobra driver and it was all but impossible to draw or fade the ball.

In conclusion, if you are off 18 h'cap or higher and have real trouble hitting fairways and getting a reasonable strike away (or you are over 80n years old) then get a Plus 10

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm going to recommend this driver to my friend (hell - I may buy it for him for Christmas...) But I'm going to wager money, right now - in public - that he will be able to slice the hell out of this magical "Plus 10" driver. His normal setup is aimed 45-degrees to the left, and his ball starts out right and goes further right, with some "physics-defying" spin on it, ending up no more than 160 yards out, usually in whatever trouble is off the right side of the fairway.

I would spend the money on lessons for him instead, but he won't go to the range and practice. He is a lost cause, I'm afraid...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
EnglishGolfer said:
In conclusion, if you are off 18 h'cap or higher and have real trouble hitting fairways and getting a reasonable strike away (or you are over 80n years old) then get a Plus 10
Not that I want one, but are they even legal?

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Not that I want one, but are they even legal?

They advertise them as the largest conforming driver so I should think so.

My advice would be not to get one, just swing better!
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.