• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

are the Ping Eye 2 Beryllium really that rare...

RoughedgesMR

Jul 14, 2008
my dad has a set laying around. He stopped playing golf because of a arm problerm. I have seen them for up to 750-800 for the set. They are in great condition. He only paid around 250 a couple years ago. Should i sell these to pay for my wishons. He really doesnt care. Or should i clean them and put them in storage hoping they will increase in value even more?

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
If you are not going to use them...sell them. Who ever buys them are going to play with them. Great clubs. I play a set of ISI Beryllium's and can't give them up.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I think limpalong still plays them too.

Mine (see my signature) are the +'s. Wouldn't trade them for the world!!!

As far as the original poster...
1. Are they the Eye 2's, or the Eye 2+?
2. What shaft? Most of the Eye 2's had the Brunswick MicroTaper shaft. Stiff as a piece of galvanized pipe.
3. What color dot? If they're too far from standard, it might be difficult for anyone to play them. And, the BeCu's should not be bent. Chances are, you'll break some of them it you try.
4. What clubs are in the "set"? 3-PW? Are they all the same serial number?

The "value" is only what someone will pay for them. Personally, I can't see selling a set for $400-$500 when a set of new clubs... without the personality... will cost twice that much. If they are, in fact, an entire set through wedge and are all the same serial number you might find someone who will pay a little more.

Put Wishon's or Callaways or Nikes or Titleists or newer generation Pings in your bag and you may get the obligatory glance at the bag. Put the BeCu Pings in the bag and you'll find yourself in conversations about the clubs. They ARE unique.

You cannot buy newer technology. The Eye 2 design fathered the permiter weighting/cast clubhead technology that has endured for over 30 years. Understand, I am 62 years old with bad knees. (Scheduled knee replacement, this morning, for mid-August.) Have really struggled, this year, due to the knee pain. Yet, have carded a number of rounds in the upper 70's and dozens in the low 80's.... with BeCu Eye 2+'s. Having owned most every brand of OEM out there, I honestly believe I could score no better with any other set of irons.

Good luck with whatever decision you do make.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If it were me, I would clean those Eye 2's up and forget about the Wishons. The Wishons aren't a major enough improvement over the Pings IMHO of course. What the Wishons are is newer and shinier and I understand if you sell the eye 2's and get the wishons...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Wishons are exceptional, BigJim.

That being said...

Nick Faldo hits the new Burner irons 20 yards farther than his old set!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wishons are exceptional, BigJim.

That being said...

Nick Faldo hits the new Burner irons 20 yards farther than his old set!!!

They may be exceptional, I wasn't trying to down them as I really don't know enough about them.

I am a sucker for classic irons though, I don't see enough of an improvement in either looks or technology from older to newer sets of irons-with the exception of the new burner irons....LOL.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Given your choices, I would play the eye 2's in a heartbeat. Shit, Calc was still playing eye 2's a few years ago.

kidzwitgunz

Jn 15:13 Ductus Exemplo
Jun 25, 2009
Depending on condition rare, yes......expensive no..........my "rare" beryllium clevie and "rare" limited ed oil can santa fe have NOT imrpoved in value plus that stupid shiny oil finish wears off...........:(

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Just a side note - If you are fortunate enough to have a set of Be Cu irons, don't attempt to sweeten them a bit by filing or grinding on them.

Berylium copper is a definite carcinogen (unlike California's all encompassing everything is a carcinogen) and an alpha particle emmiter when machined. Probably why Ping quit making them.

bulldoja

Jul 31, 2009
While watching the British Open, I heard it announced that Tom Watson was using a beryllium club and that they are no longer produced because of the toxicity caused by grinding on the club head. This being said, could I grind this material if wearing some sort of respirator, and what sort of grinding disc should I use?

I have a set of copper Ping Eye 2, with the orange dot. Clubs go from 1 through the Wedge. I believe my father built this set in 1993 or 1994. All I know is he passed away shortly after building them, and I consider it an honor to have them in my bag.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Get them re-fitted with the correct shafts for your swing an play them. Nothing was quite like them before...or after.

🔥 Latest posts