• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

are tom wishon clubs good?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Wishon is quite innovative... considered an expert in the field of club design. For components... you will find his some of the best. As far as assembled component clubs... they are only as good as the fitter/assembler.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Augster could speak volumes about Wishon; he has to me. I've already read one of Wishon's books. What I can say in summary:

If you have the most recent Wishon offerings that fit your game (which are updated every few years if that, not every 3 months), you can find comfort in knowing that there is virtually nothing better out there. OEM's may make stuff that is as nice, but it's not more functional, and not more technologically advanced. Wishon has certain qualities in some of his driver heads right now that the OEMs still don't have.

Wishon's gig is all about getting fitted. You could throw money at the guy and he wouldn't give you his clubs. You HAVE to be fitted through a Wishon certified clubfitter to get the clubs. Once you are, however, you'll probably spend less than you would on a mid-quality OEM set, and you'll have a set that is built exactly to your specs.

Wishon is a big proponent of True Length Technology; something that many here, including myself, LyleG, Rockford35, and more have tried and enjoyed. If Wishon supports it, it's good. That's a very general statement, but I'm not kidding. This guy knows what he's doing.

I have 4-PW, and 3 wedges from Wishon. I like them quite a lot. They ARE very fitted to me. A lot of work was done to get these to the point that they are now. Finally getting to the point that it was WELL worth it.

I'm all for Wishon as a guy, as a clubmaker, and especially as a great source for equipment.

Tom Wishon Golf Technology

Click "TWGT Designs" on the left to view the offerings, then talk to your local fitter about what he recommends. Wishon has a set for every skill level. Something you want to consider is OFFSET, as well as, of course, forgiveness.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
All I can say is look at my signature. Only club that is "non" Wishon is my putter, His clubs are as good as any OEM. Like it was said however, your fitter/clubmaker will ultimately determine whether you like them. Of course, if I remember correctly, WIshon refuses to sell to "amatuer" builders and if your guy can get the components, he most likely can build them to where you will like them.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
my signature has a bunch of Wishon stuff too

I'll add that I think some of his designs are pretty ugly- the 770cfe irons for example - that said, ugly or not, I hit the thing so well, I have one in my bag - I've never hit another 5 iron as well in my life. Next season, I'm probably going to play the 770's through the 7 iron because I won't have much time to practice and these things are so easy to hit it won't matter

OP
R

RoughedgesMR

Jul 14, 2008
thanks for the response. the guy from golf doctor in new jersey is fitting them. He said he has been in buisness for 20 years.

i will def. give them a shot.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Of course, if I remember correctly, WIshon refuses to sell to "amatuer" builders and if your guy can get the components, he most likely can build them to where you will like them.

He won't even sell a CATALOG without references.

I've been doing the Wishon thing all wrong, and buying used clubs, and am still really impressed by them. I would probably be on Tour if I had fitted Wishons ;) There is something going on in the construction of these clubs which is pretty special, IMO. My 919CCG driver is the most forgiving wood of any type I have ever hit. I can hit a draw or fade with it, but I'll be damned if I can slice it. My 949MC 3 wood isn't as easy to hit, but man does it make an incredible sound.

And if you hit them bad, they are still prettier than anything else out there. I'm not quite sure what they cost new, but the prices I've seen, if accurate, are extremely reasonable for what you get.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I had to fill out a pretty big questionnaire to be able to stock and sell Wishon clubs. Great stuff, but until recently expensive to ship to Canada. Thankfully their new shipping rates are far better.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
A scratch golf friend who is a bit of a club ho has a Wishon driver. He smokes that thing 280. I tried to hit it and dribbled it about 200 yards.

Wishon woods are a bit unique in that they have no face roll, so supposedly more constant launch angle.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Wishon woods are a bit unique in that they have no face roll, so supposedly more constant launch angle.

This makes a ton of sense, though, doesn't it? With a typically-rolled face, if you catch it a little low, the ball goes really low, and if you catch it a little high, the ball goes straight up. Why _wouldn't_ a golfer want a flat face?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
We became a Wishon dealer right after he started his company...and we've seen a lot of evolution in his design and thoughts...almost all of it good...with a couple (my opinion) turkeys.

The quality is phenomonal...adhearance to specs is the best you will find....

But none of it means squat if not properly fitted...which makes Wishon products all that more desirable...because only competent fitters have access to their products.

if you have a local dealer who sells them...you cannot go wrong.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
With all this Wishon expertise here, may I ask... does anyone know where I can buy a couple headcovers? I've looked all over, mailed a bunch of places that show them online, all to no avail. Yes, I realize that if I wasn't such a cheap bastard they'd have come with the clubs when I bought them, but what can I say.

I need four or five, almost anything but the knit ones will do. Like this maybe?

ashop.clubmategolf.com_images_product_images_info_images_530_0.jpg

Thanks.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
While I have never owned Wishon clubs, I have never heard anything but good things about them. From everything I have ever heard (and read), he is by far likely one of the best clubmakers (club Engineer may be better term) in the world. Just doesn't pay millions for sponsoring and advertising. I was really on the fence with Wishon's when I got my Mizunos. While I am not sorry with my choice, I wouldn't say they are a better choice. From experience, and probably in light of what Lyle mentioned, you will usually only find them sold by some of the better clubmakers, and the reason I was really on the fence.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have nothing but positive things to say about Wishon. I have a lot of his designs from when he was designing at Golfsmith in my stock of clubs. The only club I currently play that is a Wishon is my 949 fairway which I put on par with TEE Fairways (and if you have been around here a while, I have done nothing but praise TEE's.)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.