• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Awwwwwwww.. are the pour wittle tour pwos tiwed?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
If I have to hear an announcer go on and on and on about how tired these pros are I'm gonna... I'm gonna... well I don't know what I'm gonna do!

Seriously though... they've played 4 or 5 weeks in a row. Ooooooooooo! Compare that physically to other sports, football, hockey, basketball, hell even baseball! During the season these athletes playing day in and day out. Before someone brings up the mental side of it and the mental "grinding" that they go through, let me just head that off. IMO it's not much different than us saps here in the office grinding it out 48-50 weeks a year, back to back meetings, deadlines, and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying what they do is easy. But holy crap these announcers need to stop throwing these guys such a pity party! They get paid MILLIONS of dollars to PLAY GOLF. Man it sure is rough on 'em!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
If I have to hear an announcer go on and on and on about how tired these pros are I'm gonna... I'm gonna... well I don't know what I'm gonna do!

Seriously though... they've played 4 or 5 weeks in a row. Ooooooooooo! Compare that physically to other sports, football, hockey, basketball, hell even baseball! During the season these athletes playing day in and day out. Before someone brings up the mental side of it and the mental "grinding" that they go through, let me just head that off. IMO it's not much different than us saps here in the office grinding it out 48-50 weeks a year, back to back meetings, deadlines, and so on and so forth.

I'm not saying what they do is easy. But holy crap these announcers need to stop throwing these guys such a pity party! They get paid MILLIONS of dollars to PLAY GOLF. Man it sure is rough on 'em!

While I agree with you, mostly, you have to keep one thing in mind. If they do not perform well they do not get paid and still have expenses. I too work long hrs and have deadlines, but if I have a bad day, week or month it doesn't mean I don't get a paycheck.

Not sticking up for them, just playing devil's advocate here!
icon10.gif

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Ridiculous argument, Jim.

I wouldn't compare golf to other sports. That's not fair to other sports; or real SPORTS, in general.

Perhaps these tour pros are like rabbits or lazy cats and are used to sleeping at least 400 hours a month. Walking 5 miles a day with constant breaks 4 days a week for 5 weeks in a row... I think I could do that. In fact, I'd LIKE to do that.

But golf is very boring very often. There just isn't anything to be said, really, between shots these guys are hitting. Why not make the "physical stress" of a game that requires the athletic prowess of competitive checkers seem like a terrible burden? Something to chatter about.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
its all about filling time as SUX said....they get to a point in the broadcast where there is nothing left to talk about....so they start in on that shit.

There is only so many times you can reference how good tiger is....or how thick the rough is, or how fast the green is, or the weather, or any number of other crap they talk about during the broadcast.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I'd swap chairs with any one of those guys in a nano-second. They make a bazillion dollars to play golf! The empathy for their travails just isn't there/

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Ridiculous argument, Jim.

I wouldn't compare golf to other sports. That's not fair to other sports; or real SPORTS, in general.

Perhaps these tour pros are like rabbits or lazy cats and are used to sleeping at least 400 hours a month. Walking 5 miles a day with constant breaks 4 days a week for 5 weeks in a row... I think I could do that. In fact, I'd LIKE to do that.

But golf is very boring very often. There just isn't anything to be said, really, between shots these guys are hitting. Why not make the "physical stress" of a game that requires the athletic prowess of competitive checkers seem like a terrible burden? Something to chatter about.

I wasn't making the argument, I was responding to the argument in the OP. I don't know that it's ridiculous either though, there are times when we are slow or have down time at work here too. Often times its harder when my days are slow than when they are busy.

And frankly, if you think they have nothing to do from Monday to Thursday that's a little naive. They have TRAVEL, Pro AMs and course prep. Not that it's the hardest job in the world, but they hardly do nothing. Have you ever flown across country with one or two stops in between? Its draining...

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
fatigue SHOULD be a factor in any sports version of the play offs.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I agree with the OP. I mean, come on now, its not they are even carrying their own bags. If anyone is worn out it is the caddies.

I'm sure they are getting tired, but its only because they normally do so little and take breaks in between tournaments.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I would swap positions with any of them in a heartbeat. Give me a freaking break, how tired can a damn golfer be?????

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Lmfao. Obviously you guys aren't really getting how tough this game really is then.

Have any of you honestly played TOURNAMENT GOLF for 4 straight weeks? It is A LOT tougher and mentally draining then you think. Especially for a pro who if he plays like ass, doesn't get paid.

Try staying up all night for 3-4 nights in a row, then working a full 40hr week, dealing with angry and annoying customers all day. THEN after this, go play 4 rounds of golf for your car payment and if you don't play good, you default and lose your car.

Yes these guys (along with EVERY pro athlete) are pampered, but what they do at the highest level is not a 4 mile walk with breaks at all. And to whoever says golf isn't comparable to "real" sports (not even going to start talking about baseball, which is a complete waste of the millions of dollars they are paid for the least amount of work in any sport), doesn't get it either.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I would love to be able to do it and not have to pay for tournament fees and not being able to win money like I am right now though ;)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
It is A LOT tougher and mentally draining then you think. Especially for a pro who if he plays like ass, doesn't get paid.

it's golf, nuff said on that.

As far as not being paid, they have sponsors & are still dragging down $$ even when they don't do all that well.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Lmfao. Obviously you guys aren't really getting how tough this game really is then.

Have any of you honestly played TOURNAMENT GOLF for 4 straight weeks? It is A LOT tougher and mentally draining then you think. Especially for a pro who if he plays like ass, doesn't get paid.

Try staying up all night for 3-4 nights in a row, then working a full 40hr week, dealing with angry and annoying customers all day. THEN after this, go play 4 rounds of golf for your car payment and if you don't play good, you default and lose your car.

Yes these guys (along with EVERY pro athlete) are pampered, but what they do at the highest level is not a 4 mile walk with breaks at all. And to whoever says golf isn't comparable to "real" sports (not even going to start talking about baseball, which is a complete waste of the millions of dollars they are paid for the least amount of work in any sport), doesn't get it either.
The Irony in this post is almost unbearable.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Sandpiper: lmao. "Try staying up all night for 3-4 nights in a row, then working a full 40hr week, dealing with angry and annoying customers all day. THEN after this, go play 4 rounds of golf for your car payment and if you don't play good, you default and lose your car." So when did you turn pro? Drop out of school?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I see both sides here. And I see two major factors. The world of self-employment and the a big difference between the top golfers and those in the 2nd tier.

Take the top 500 golfers in the world out of the equation. You got the mini-tour guys who will have to play realy well just to take home enough money each week to live a comfortable life. A lot of them don't make enough and find themselves in debt or just simply quit.

These guys travel economy and do not get pampered. Tournament golf is mentally draining. It is draining all the travel and related commitments. But no-one is holding a gun to their head. Most of them do it because they love it or couldn't fathom holding down a regular job. The ones that don't make the tour have limited opportunities available to them in golf, outside working in a golf shop, giving lessons or becoming a sales rep.

Like any job, people need a break / holiday to recharge. I think some folk think they are on a permanent vacation. Maybe the top guys do get over-pampered. They have the luxury of choosing which tournamants to play in. A lot of journeymen pros don't have that luxury.

I for one enjoy playing golf, knowing if I miss a 6ft putt my mortgage doesn't rely of it.

🔥 Latest posts