• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back in the day H.S. sports

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
this one goes out to the people already out of H.S. just wandering what sports or activities you did and if you have any good stories

The master

Oct 24, 2004
It was along time ago when I was at high school but I have found memorys of sports I remeber the day I got picked for the netball team there was 10 other girls and me I couldn't understand why I was the only boy it was great you got to shower with the girls and all after the games and hang out with them down the strret playing the 2 pence game you see young man ther was no internet, tvs, dvd and video games back in those days you just don't relise how luck you are you have your whole lfe in front of you. You should be greatfull im of now to smoke my pipe and listen to my classic music.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
youngun5 said:
this one goes out to the people already out of H.S. just wandering what sports or activities you did and if you have any good stories

Highschool sports was the best part of being in highschool. We had lots fo great athletes in my school ,myself included so we always had great teams. We were a big track, badminton, soccer and volley-ball school. No-one could touch us in badminton especially. I'd do highschool over just to play sorts agian. I miss being so active. Not that I am a lazy slob now, but I am definatly in worse shape than i was in highschool.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
coming in to H.S. i was planning on playing soccer and i should have, but our team really sucks and i don't want to be part of it, I of course golf, and we should be pretty good this year, next year i'll prolly be placekicking for the football team so things are good, our school doesn't have a badminton team

:usflag:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I am only an "above average" athlete. Pretty decent at everything but not really great at anything.

The only high school team I made was the Drinking Team....

I am a Scratch Drinker though...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
My first participation in team sports was in high school and while it was fun it also kept me away from some of the people I had hung around prior. If not for sports, college may not have happened for me.

I was way too skinny for football and not quite good enough for basketball. Eight of the twelve guys on our team got scholarships.

I settled on cross country and track. What I liked best about the distance races was how challenging they were. My favorite was the 2 mile but I was best at the mile, (this was before meters). This was in the early 70s when the mile was THE glamor race and being the best at my school made me more popular with the girls. Take your motivation where you can get it. :p

I made it to state a couple of times, and nationals once in college but really was not a serious contender in college.

Looking back, I'm not sure how I endured the workouts. A typical day would be 5 miles before school and a 10 mile run after, both at 6:00 to 6:15 pace. :faintthud

Oh yeah, my HS coach held the world record for the fifty mile run for a brief time. Needless to say complaining or whining was not tolerated.

S

spankdoggie

DaveE said:
Looking back, I'm not sure how I endured the workouts. A typical day would be 5 miles before school and a 10 mile run after, both at 6:00 to 6:15 pace. :faintthud

Oh yeah, my HS coach held the world record for the fifty mile run for a brief time. Needless to say complaining or whining was not tolerated.

Damn. sounds good. Did you read the latest Runners World magazine? The guy on the cover wants to run 300 miles nonstop. He already did 266 nonstop, but quit because he said he was getting tired. Here I am getting ready for a half marathon and you got bastards that think 50 miles runs, non-stop, are easy.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
growing up in the desert

i graduated from palm springs high school in the california desert and as you can only imagine, we had a pretty good golf team. (for the record, i wasn't on it)

i played baseball. had a blast, started to play in college but then joined the navy. i'm one of those athletes that is pretty decent at everything i try but i'm not great at anything. my biggest flaw is that i tend to be streaky. so far golf isn't any different...

S

spankdoggie

chemboy2 said:
i graduated from palm springs high school in the california desert and as you can only imagine, we had a pretty good golf team. (for the record, i wasn't on it)

i played baseball. had a blast, started to play in college but then joined the navy. i'm one of those athletes that is pretty decent at everything i try but i'm not great at anything. my biggest flaw is that i tend to be streaky. so far golf isn't any different...

The Navy?...

Damn.

When I was in Hawaii 2 months ago, my wife and I took a tour of the USS Missouri...http://www.ussmissouri.com/

That is the ship that shot the Tomahawks off in the first Gulf War, and the same ship that the Japanese surrendered on at the end of World War ll...

Anyways, a bunch of dudes in white Navy dress were crossing the steps against the arrows that show the proper way to go on the boat... I was going down those steps at the same time...

I was getting pissed off and I was going to tell them off, but they had an air about them like they owned the place, and it made me back off...

Turned out they were some pretty high level Navy dudes giving a private tour to others... They acted like they owned the ship, and it gave me pause... I backed down down from them like Besson from a mountain biker with a small leather bag hanging from his handlebars...

True story...

I digress and I ramble...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
sub fleet NOT surface fleet

My time was spent in the sub fleet. There is a HUGE difference between the sub fleet and the surface fleet. I was on boats with crew sizes of 160 men and when we are sea, and not on watch, the ranks disappeared.

During my time in I went to Hawaii several times although my experience was a little different. Try standing watch topside in the middle of the night with the aft end of a rusty battle ship sticking out of the water 100yds in front of you, talk about creapy!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
chemboy2 said:
My time was spent in the sub fleet. There is a HUGE difference between the sub fleet and the surface fleet. I was on boats with crew sizes of 160 men and when we are sea, and not on watch, the ranks disappeared.

During my time in I went to Hawaii several times although my experience was a little different. Try standing watch topside in the middle of the night with the aft end of a rusty battle ship sticking out of the water 100yds in front of you, talk about creapy!

At my most recent high school reunion - I met an old classmate who retired from the Navy last year.

He told me he was the Executive Officer on a Los Angeles class sub.....and he had that unmistakable military officer bearing about him. Upright posture...measured conversational response...

He looked like he was evaluating everything I said - as if I was a subordinate. Not being rude...but like laser focused all the time.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
bubble head officers

Bravo said:
At my most recent high school reunion - I met an old classmate who retired from the Navy last year.

He told me he was the Executive Officer on a Los Angeles class sub.....and he had that unmistakable military officer bearing about him. Upright posture...measured conversational response...

He looked like he was evaluating everything I said - as if I was a subordinate. Not being rude...but like laser focused all the time.

off the boat a lot of these guys, and certainly the ones at XO level and above, were dead pan serious but at sea and behind closed doors... exceptions to this rule are the academy grads. **** i'm not taking a dig at acadamy grads, i'm simply saying that they were a much more serious group of guys than the others.

with that being said, my rate in the service was Yoeman. (loosely translates to admin asst to the XO and CO so i got to spend a lot of time with these guys at sea and behind closed doors) i assure you , they are no different than any of us here. i had one XO that could never believe he was an XO. it was not uncommon for him to ponder how drinking his way through college got him XO.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I live 17 minutes form the Groton Sub base.

I just installed a kitchen for an LTCdr glow worm.

He says if he stays in he will have to do the XO thing on his next tour and then command......interesting stuff, he said that the Indian Navy has the hottest shit in the sea next to the US....go figure.

I spent about 15 minutes in the Navy myself....things got ugly 1/2 way through aircrew school....it wasn't my fault! I swear! :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Guys:

I have never served in any branch - so my ignorance is embarrassing...

I do know that Guy was an Annapolis graduate. He went straight from high school to the Naval Academy. When we grew up he was never arrogant - frankly he was the shy type. When I saw him at the reunion, it is not like he had a 180 degree personality change - it's just that he carried himself with a certain air....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
Guys:

I have never served in any branch - so my ignorance is embarrassing...

Don't feel bad. I haven't served any time in the US military either... ;)

My brother owns a shotgun and a .306. Does that count?

R35

🔥 Latest posts