• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back in the lab - Lesson 1 in 2014 - no new clubs for me!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I had a very positive lesson at lunchtime today, first of the year. Some highlights, (acting as aide memoirs for me):
  • My hips and shoulders needed straightening up (they were surprisingly open) – easy fix.
  • Hands at address needed to be adjusted to ahead of the ball – easy fix.
  • Get left shoulder behind the ball at top of swing – easy fix.
  • Get right shoulder over the ball at impact – more difficult!
  • Turn hips rather than slide – very difficult!
I found the last one the most difficult to achieve, I’ve been sliding for such a long time. But I ended up hitting about twenty balls with a half swing, really just focusing on turning the hips and getting the right shoulder over the ball at impact. I was hitting a 6 iron about 120 yards but the ball was fizzing out, beautiful little knock-downs and it felt effortless. It’s really good to build up and in-grain the feeling of a swing change.

He also had me wear a glove with an iron bar over the back of the left hand, it’s supposed to prevent you from caving in wrist and back of left hand at impact and encourage supination at impact. Fxxx me did that hurt for a few shots! I can see the logic and understand the goal to be achieved but I think I need a few more weeks with that thing. If you are doing it right you are not supposed to feel it. I was nearly drawing blood!!

Anyway at the end I hit my last 6 balls with full swings with my 6 iron and I nailed them all with a baby draw about 160 yards all of them landing on the target green. I skipped out of the range like a little girl with her Easter Bunny, high fiving the pro!!

Probably will shoot about 100 tomorrow!!

Last edited:

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I had a very positive lesson at lunchtime today, first of the year. Some highlights, (acting as aide memoirs for me):
  • My hips and shoulders needed straightening up (they were surprisingly open) – easy fix.
  • Hands at address needed to be adjusted to ahead of the ball – easy fix.
  • Get left shoulder behind the ball at top of swing – easy fix.
  • Get right shoulder over the ball at impact – more difficult!
  • Turn hips rather than slide – very difficult!
I found the last one the most difficult to achieve, I’ve been sliding for such a long time. But I ended up hitting about twenty balls with a half swing, really just focusing on turning the hips and getting the right shoulder over the ball at impact. I was hitting a 6 iron about 120 yards but the ball was fizzing out, beautiful little knock-downs and it felt effortless. It’s really good to build up and in-grain the feeling of a swing change.

He also had me wear a glove with an iron bar over the back of the left hand, it’s supposed to prevent you from caving in wrist and back of left hand at impact and encourage supination at impact. Fxxx me did that hurt for a few shots! I can see the logic and understand the goal to be achieved but I think I need a few more weeks with that thing. If you are doing it right you are not supposed to feel it. I was nearly drawing blood!!

Anyway at the end I hit my last 6 balls with full swings with my 6 iron and I nailed them all with a baby draw about 160 yards all of them landing on the target green. I skipped out of the range like a little girl with her Easter Bunny, high fiving the pro!!

Probably will shoot about 100 tomorrow!!
Good tips for me too. I stopped sliding by pointing my right foot at the range. I will do it on the course now and then just to keep the feel of turning inside that leg.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Up on the toe. Like a dancer. I have also had them put a ball under the outside of my right foot. I assume you are sliding back?

I usually just have my right toe pointed out a little nowdays.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Up on the toe. Like a dancer. I have also had them put a ball under the outside of my right foot. I assume you are sliding back?

I usually just have my right toe pointed out a little nowdays.
The best drill i have found to stop from sliding back is to put a chair or a broken golf shaft just beside my right hip. If I slide on the backswing i hit the chair. Makes me turn better.

I've tried putting a ball under my foot, it does nothing for me.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online