• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad experience

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Last night I tried to go out to eat. Went to Mi Cocina in Lakewood (the one that replaced Matt's ). A little background, I'm totally wheelchair, and get around in a conversion minivan with a side ramp. We drove up to the restaurant and asked the supervisor of the valet guys (RG valet) where we could go to a handicapped space. He responded with a vague wave and said "maybe over there by the bank". We drove around for a bit and found the handicapped spaces "over by the bank" and the were full of valet parked cars (no handicapped placards of plate), even the striped space between van accessible spaces. These cars were backed in and had valet tickets on the dash. We drove around a bit and found a couple more spaces closer to the restaurant, same thing.

We drove back to the restaurant, I informed the supervisor about the cars in the handicapped space, He responded that he didn't know what was parked where, and really couldn't do anything. A DPD officer (Officer Cartwright) was standing on the sidewalk and I called him over and informed him of the situation. He was very polite and nicely told me that he was on an off-duty job and couldn't do anything. I asked if he could ticket the offending cars, he responded he didn't have his ticket book. I then asked if he could call an on duty officer, he responded that since it was raining none would come.

I was really disappointed, especially since the same thing previously happened at the Katy Ice House, the valet guys there, moved a car from the handicapped space, and I parked. Next time I was there, the Valet guys left the handicapped space empty.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We live in a university town. Lots of apartments and condos. Those facilities have limited parking and are posted that if you park unauthorized your car will be towed. This worked great. A couple of the wrecker companies have their own storage yards. They would patrol the apartment parking lots and tow any vehicles that were not properly tagged. Until it became a political issue....
A couple of donors to the athletic programs had cars towed. They felt their benevolence to the football program gave them the right to park anywhere. When their autos were towed while imbibbing at one of the local places of "entertainment", they got the attention of the local elected officials. The local ordinance was changed to where the wrecker companies could no longer charge for towing or storage if the offending party "said they did not see the signs". Sheesh!!!

Nothing aggravates me more than to see perfectly healthy people parking in a handicap spot... property tagged or not. You should call the Denver PD and make a formal complaint against the officer who, even though he said he was off duty, refused to call a patrol car to the area. It almost sounds like there is a "silent contract" between the police and the restaurant. For a few free meals or for employing off duty officers as security there may be a casual "eyes closed" policy when it comes to enforcing infringement into handicap parking by the restaurant.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Did all that, don't expect anything to happen, Dallas city government is a joke.

Restaurant called last night offered a free meal, waaaaay too little too late. I declined, don't wanna eat in their place. Since I have a very limited number of evenings out left, I'm going someplace else.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
You know, that story, including the names of the parties/restaurant involved, would make a great human interest story in your local paper. ;)

Members online

No members online now.