• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad Fan Behavior

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
So does this.

GettyImages-146264276-58ef925e5f9b582c4d01fec7.jpg
Could you please flip the blade 180 degrees? Woke up this morning with a crick in the right side of my neck. If it's flipped, should have a millisecond or two without the right side of the neck hurting before...………...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The Masters does not have this issue. Admittance to that event is so sought after that tickets are handed down through generations. No other tournament... including the other majors... has that same draw. The Open Championship does a rotation between a number of courses. You will have different attendees/drunks each year.

In the NBA or college hoops, fans will wave behind the basket on free throws and do about anything they can to thwart the other team from scoring. NFL or college football? Home teams drown out signal calling. The one... the ONLY sport where people are supposed to be silent during play is golf. IMHO... Get over it!!!

More than half the attendees at any professional golf event are guests of corporate sponsors. Many have never played golf other than a drunk-fest-scramble. No excuse for being idiots. Just reality. You cannot have a pledge or questionnaire filled out before admittance to an event or sponsors will cut their support. If the kid who sold the most cars in a dealership territory gets drunk on free beer, he'll go back and sell more cars.

We who play the game understand how someone shouting in the middle of a backswing can cause a pitiful shot. Many who don't have that love for and experience in the game don't. Certain players have a larger following at events and more bad-mannered fans. Woods is one. I know he shouldn't have to but what about earplugs? Would that at least soften the sound from the crowd?

The problem today happened on 18. What good would it do for security to remove an attendee on the 72nd hole? To turn the crowd loose on an attendee will get someone arrested. How much would the players be able to focus if there was an all-out melee in the stands? Not a viable solution.

Folks can cuss and discuss bad manners of "stupids" all day long. It is a known fact today's society is full of people who could care less about what is fitting and proper. The more negative reaction from players, the more the escalation will be seen from those wanting their five minutes of fame. One thing the networks could do would be to have a switch on tee box mics that would shut off any crowd noise during the shots. When people knew they wouldn't be a spectacle for the entire television audience to hate, would they be as motivated to act out their ridiculousness? In the meantime, maybe even encourage fan noise and shouting instead of holding up the quiet signs. If on every shot players became accustomed to fan noise, maybe it wouldn't be such a distraction.
I KNEW there had to be something good about being hard of hearing. I don't need ear plugs. Just turn off the cochlear implant and "total silence". o_O

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Evolution is failing us. The more refined species that's meant to replace us is late in coming.
People have no standards for their own deportment or expectations for anybody else's.
Class no longer exists.
People call near strangers by their first names.
Civility is a historic concept, now.
I know guys who don't even own a suit.
Nothing we can do now.
Best to try not to think about it.
Despondent post is despondent. By the way, I own zero suits. :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
One suit in the closet... "fer buryin' purposes"! Last time I wore it was about 1995 when walking the last daughter down the aisle. Before that one I think it was a brown "Leisure Suit" circa 1975.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
I'm a dinosaur. You suitless guys have convinced me.
As I said before, best not to think about it.

Same with the bad gallery behavior. It's all connected, I think.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've got a couple of suits and one of them is a damn nice one at that. It helps that my wife is an area sales manager for Dillard's.

Old Chuckie T

Loveable Linkster
Jul 22, 2018
Boston
Country
Men used to wear suits on their own time because then, most had the kind of jobs where you wore work clothes and showered after work.

Then a greater percentage of us had office jobs and had to wear a suit at work. We didn't want to wear one on our own time when we had to wear one at work.

Then office dress got more casual and we didn't have to wear a suit at work anymore. But we didn't go back to putting one on when we went out at night.

Then we retired and didn't care if we looked like an unmade bed.

I remember, as a young kid, my dad and I wearing suits at Fenway Park and the old Boston Garden. That's how people were dressed. They wore fedoras. Can you even imagine that now?

The goddamned modern cars have head restraints that don't even let you wear a fedora.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Each tournament could work with local law enforcement and request that these "patrons" be arrested for disturbing the peace or drunk and disorderly. Cuff 'em, take them to the station, and literally charge them with the misdemeanor. Tournament presses charges, includes a permanent ban.

Yeah, a PIA. But, less of a PIA than they're already being.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Each tournament could work with local law enforcement and request that these "patrons" be arrested for disturbing the peace or drunk and disorderly. Cuff 'em, take them to the station, and literally charge them with the misdemeanor. Tournament presses charges, includes a permanent ban.

Yeah, a PIA. But, less of a PIA than they're already being.

DTP and DC typically only apply to verbal situations when the perpetrator is likely to incite violence. Yelling 'mashed potatoes' is not likely to incite violence and is not a call to action (like yelling fire in a public place). So I think you would have a very difficult time prosecuting for either DTP or DC in this situation. Unless you're able to get the local government to write specific verbiage into the statute stating that during a golf tournament, loud verbal outbursts are specifically deemed DTP/DC of course.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
DTP and DC typically only apply to verbal situations when the perpetrator is likely to incite violence. Yelling 'mashed potatoes' is not likely to incite violence and is not a call to action (like yelling fire in a public place). So I think you would have a very difficult time prosecuting for either DTP or DC in this situation. Unless you're able to get the local government to write specific verbiage into the statute stating that during a golf tournament, loud verbal outbursts are specifically deemed DTP/DC of course.
Given how much $$ is brought to the area for the tournament, I'm betting this could be done. These guys are literally disturbing the peace, and I'm betting a decent percentage are drunk enough to be drunk and disorderly.

It's a matter of interpretation.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Given how much $$ is brought to the area for the tournament, I'm betting this could be done. These guys are literally disturbing the peace, and I'm betting a decent percentage are drunk enough to be drunk and disorderly.

It's a matter of interpretation.

I feel like if it was this easy, it would have been done already. We can't be the first people to think of this.

🔥 Latest posts