• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ball forward or back in stance?

Par7

Elite Hack
Jul 25, 2008
I was always under the impression that a wedge shot, when played a few inches off the back foot, would result in a higher trajectory.

But the other day, I was reading about a 72* wedge and they said that to get the best flop shot, you should have the ball off the front foot, and that will get the ball the highest

My question to you:

For the highest trajectory, Ball near the back or front foot? Or smack dab in the middle?

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Highest trajectory would definitely be towards the front of the foot, for most people. I was always under the impression that the further ahead the ball was, the more effective loft there would be. (Not sure that is the correct wording)

Usually you play it back in your stance if you want a lower ball trajectory.

You honestly really have to figure it out on your own though. Everyones game is different and preferences always vary. I used to spend hours chipping in the field at my school. Playing with different ball flights and what not.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
When I want to hit a high wedge shot, I move the ball a couple of inches forward in my stance, then hit down hard on the ball of the ball with a full follow-through. It's one of the few shots I'm consistently really good at.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A high shot, I just play it out of the middle of stance, which for a wedge, is forward.

A flop shot is a different shot entirely. For that I open up about 45* to target, weaken my grip way, way up, adress it like I'm going to hit it with the hosel of the club and make a smooth accelerating swing. It's a shot that's actually useful about every 10-12 rounds, if that.

One thing that's always been odd to me. I cannot hit a low shot off a range mat. Only very high wedges. On the course I hit mostly low trajectory shots. I only hoist one up if I'm in the rough and need the height to stop it.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Lower with more spin back about 1 ball width. Forward more height less spin. In either case get weight to front side. Less spin deaden arms. More spin activate wrist. And that's all I know about that!!!!!!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Depends on what shot I'm doing. But general rule of thumb, further left(for a righty)=higher.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
believe it or not I play the ball so far up in my stance that it's past my front foot (with the driver) and pretty far up with my irons too. I hate the ball VERY high and I dont really want to change. When I hit high trouble shots, I play the ball way forward and keep the hands back

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
believe it or not I play the ball so far up in my stance that it's past my front foot (with the driver) and pretty far up with my irons too. I hate the ball VERY high and I dont really want to change. When I hit high trouble shots, I play the ball way forward and keep the hands back

If you hate it so much, why don't you want to change it?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
For some reason it's the opposite with me, if I play the ball off my my back/right foot then I can get some real good air & have no issues with putting it over trees.....yes I actually have to do this a number of times on certain courses. It's a goofy assed shot but for some reason I can pull it off the majority of the time.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I play the ball in the back only because I have a lesser chance of chunking it and not getting the ball in the air. I find it a lot easier to hit down on the ball when it is further back.

Now for the more consistant guys flaying forward will increase distance a bit and trajectory.

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
I tee it up as high as I can and as far forward on the drive, I hit irons back lick you said, wedges? What’s a wedge? I don’t own one! I use a 4 or 6 iron I’m more accurate and have more control with a low trajectory shot! It works for me! to each his own is my philosophy, go for it!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Driver teed high and just off the left big toe.

Fairways and most irons near middle of stance.

My short irons and wedges move around quite a bit. If I want to hit a soft 7, 8, 9, or wedge with a slight fade to a pin, the ball is moved forward. If I am slightly under-clubed and need an extra yard or two I will move the ball back a tad. My irons tear up a lot of greens. Can't spin it back like the pros, but the ball never moves very far from where it hits on the green. Chipping to a short pin, I will hit down a bit on the ball to stop it quick.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Standard shots?

Every club except driver the ball is a couple inched inside the left heel. As the club gets longer, the stance widens slightly, effectively (relatively) moving the ball forward in the stance without moving it "in" the stance. It creates consistency in shots.

Move the ball too far back and you rob your swing of space. You increase the "inside/out" of the arc, you don't give your body the same time to move into the ball, you don't give your club face the same time to square, you don't give the clubhead the same time to level out.

You end up with a swing that is too steep, pushing the ball with an open clubface, and your body spinning out ahead of the swing. Or you create a bunch of manipulations to fix some or all of the above.

If that position was good enough for Hogan and Merrins, it's been good enough for me.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online