• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Barbecuing advice needed...

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
I got the deck tiled, the grass is green, the bird fountain is overflowing and trickling water down its levels of water; the iron rail is afixed, and the barbecue is ready to go; the roses are starting to bloom, the table is set outside...

Problem is, I never was a barbecue guy, and honestly I have never done it (please don't take my man card). Tonight will be my first night trying to barbecue 3 gorgeous steaks... it is propane.

Do I use barbecue sauce? I am leaning against it... :(

Thanks in advance.

spankleton baller

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Do I use barbecue sauce?

NOOOOOOOO!!!

That would mean giving up your man card for sure.

When grilling steak, less is more......salt, pepper, garlic powder (gp is optional)

High heat.....preheat the grill on high until the thermometer is about to bust.
one minute then flip it and turn the heat down to a medium flame and close the lid.

maybe 3 minutes a side from there depending on the steak thickness.....I cook by feel.
as an example, the fleshy part of your palm where your thumb connects...press that in a relaxed state, that is what a rare steak feels like, fully tense that muscle and you have well done....I like medium rare to medium.....good luck.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good call, SLing.

A guy I used to work with has a brother that is a butcher and an amateur chef. His words of wisdom echo in my soul...

"The greatness of a steak is gauged by it's lack of extras that you add. BBQ sauce masks the flavour of a good steak...."

Slow and low, Spank. That's the ticket.

R35

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Thanks Sling and Rock. :)

Right now I am heating up the grill with the top down for 25-30 minutes...

Shucks, I should take pictures...:laugh:

I have to reread your post Sling, so I am signing off...

I have a great bottle of red wine open, and I am drinking it; you cannot barbecue properly without a beer or a glass of red...

Edited: Never barbacued before, but I heard you have to have a beer or wine while doing so...

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
10 minutes will do the trick spank.
looking for upwards of 500 degrees.
The object is to sear the meat then lower the heat to finish.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, I searched "Montreal Steak Spice" and got a bunch of recipes and no main manufacturer. Is there a "specific" brand of this?:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I am leaning towards the high and fast... I like rare steaks...

Are you a well done steak person?

I gotta run,

spank

3 words

Montreal Steak Spice

Yep. Montreal rules.

Spank, a 6oz filet takes about 6 minutes a side for medium rare after an initial sear. Super pink and the best damn steak you've ever eaten. Match that with a touch of the Montreal, and you'd pretty much eat that everyday if given the chance.

Steaks with bones are the biggest ripoff. It's all about filet.

R35

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Well, the steaks came out excellent, but it was rare when I pulled them out, but they cooked a little more after I did that...

Got a couple of pics...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, the steaks came out excellent, but it was rare when I pulled them out, but they cooked a little more after I did that...

Got a couple of pics...

Any chance one shows both the steaks and your calves?

R35

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Any chance one shows both the steaks and your calves?

R35

My calves are still in good form, but I do have the steaks. They are thin steaks, and good for practice for my first time, but they are good steaks...

I ain't messin with nothing really good until I become an expert at this... Like I said, I don't know nothing about barbecue...

Couple of pics for you attached; any further advice will be greatly appreciated.
take no prisoners.jpg
Whoisyourdaddy.jpg
greatest steaks.jpg

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Yep. Montreal rules.

Spank, a 6oz filet takes about 6 minutes a side for medium rare after an initial sear. Super pink and the best damn steak you've ever eaten. Match that with a touch of the Montreal, and you'd pretty much eat that everyday if given the chance.

Steaks with bones are the biggest ripoff. It's all about filet.

R35

That sounds pretty good, but I am a beginner. Thanks for the info.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
10 minutes will do the trick spank.
looking for upwards of 500 degrees.
The object is to sear the meat then lower the heat to finish.

100% correct. I do that indoors as well. One minute on each side in a white-hot cast iron skillet to sear it, then the skillet goes into a 450-deg oven to roast for an additional 2-4 minutes per side, depending on degree of doneness desired. You don't get the charcoal flavor, but that not neccesarily a bad thing.

When grilling:

1. Preheat grill with cover closed until it's as hot as it can get.

2. Grill the steaks on a high flame for one minute per side to sear them. Leave the cover closed so you don't lose heat.

3. Turn off one side of the grill, leave the other side on high, put the steaks on the "off" side, and roast them with the cover closed for a few minutes per side. 3 minutes per side should make a 1-inch thick NY Strip (my favorite cut) medium (hot pink inside).

One more tip. Always let the steaks sit for 3-4 minutes before eating them. This redistributes the juices, finishes the cooking, and makes for a much better steak.

And definitely don't use any sauce on a good steak. Sauce is for ribs, and chicken. Never a good steak.

🔥 Latest posts