• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Barbecuing advice needed...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
After I got out of college I had an apartment with no porch or balcony but it did have a firplace so I kept a small Weber grill in their. I couldn't afford firewood anyway so it worked out great.

Yeah, personal money can get kind of tight so you learn to be imaginative.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
My first grilled pizza...

Tonight I made my first grilled pizza, and although I have tried it so many times indoors, this was the best I ever had; unbelievable...

It was my first time, so I thought I was screwing up, but everything turned out great!

The only better pizza I have had was in Italy.

I used Steve Raichlen's recipe.
pizza on grill.jpg
grilled pizza resting.jpg

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
this was the best I ever had

Told you so. ;)

I think we may be able to add a gold star to your man card for that. :D

Although, perhaps carmelized onions next time. I'm not a fan of raw onions on pizza.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Dammit! There you go making me hungry again!

That grilled pizza looks awesome. I think the onions look great. :D

I did honey teriyaki split chicken breasts on the grill last night and they were excellent. I love grilling, it's the best way to cook.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Looks beautiful...how long did you cook it??

Took about 10-13 minutes, but as you know, it is an art to feel it all out and stuff...

I used a bare minimum of ingredients, as it was my first pizza on the grill... Only used one meat (pepperoni) and some great herbs... Two kinds of cheeses... I love the raw onions, and they were better cooked after a few minutes, too, Sling.

Next time I am doing my anchovies, garlic, and 3 or 4 more meats. This pizza had sliced tomatoes on top of the tomato sauce, that grilled very nicely...

Tomorrow is Tri-tips... I will try to get photos...

Keep up the good work, gentlemen.

spank

Edit: Take a look at the first photo with the pizza on the grill; you can see the Hickory smoke from the bottom (in aluminum) coming up to flavor the pizza a bit...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've got to hand it to you, when you get into something you GET INTO it!

BTW, you did a good job on those grilled ribs...that's about as good as you can expect on direct heat.

Go get yourself a smoker and onto the next challenge.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Tonight's tri tip was fantastic...

This afternoon I started at 210-230degrees for about 3.5 hours with a 1.5 lb. Tri...

Yesterday, it was only 2.5 hours with a 2lb. Tri tip, but it was a little rare for that sort of meat...

Today's Tri was gorgeous, and filled with flavor.

I am just experimenting with different meats.:)

You can bet your ass, I am going to get a bonafide smoker next year, and take this stuff up to another level... :laugh:
tri tip.jpg
tri tip2.jpg

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Early last week, I had a nice rare steak, yesterday, a bunch of fantastic ribs.

The photo of the ribs was after only 2.5 hours on the propane grill at low heat, just flipped. 5 hours total with hickory added every 2 hours for smoke flavor...

I didn't get a finished picture, but you should have seen it. :)

Sorry for the ugly ribs picture, but it was immediately flipped, and no moisture had yet been added; the finished product was amazing, trust me. :laugh: ... I added a gorgeous rib sauce at the end and let it simmer on the top for almost 30 minutes, before adding another layer...
I threw that sausage on for Sling. :mgw: :laugh:

Now I have a few 5 lb. chickens that need to be Rotisseried...

spank
rare steak.jpg
ribs just flipped.jpg

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great pix Spank....you are learning fast.

Yesterday, I played golf in the morning and took my little one to the pool in the afternoon. (They had a Beer Dive, where they throw several cases of beer into the deep end. Blow the whistle and everyone dives in to get as many as possible. Your truly got six....)

As a result of all of this recreational activity - I had no time to smoke ribs...the grocery stores around here have their own pits and sell freshly smoked slabs for only $12. So it was an easy decision.

I took the slab out of the frig, put some rib rub on it and covered it in sauce. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes on 350.

Bones just fell out of the slab. Really good ribs for only $12 and hardly lifted a finger...

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Spank, that pizza looks great!

Try the grilled pineapple recipie in that book also. I put a scoop of vanilla icecream on top and drizzle a tiny bit of chocolate syrup too. It is really good.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Yeah, I am going to try it all out, but diving into water for a beer is a little much for me, Bravo; maybe the pineapple thing would be cool, Sand...

I made a quick snack today in about 10 minutes from beginning to completion, practically... just a long hotdog with a bunch of cheese, and grilled peppers with some chips and a beer... grilled the bun too...

Grilled hotdogs are crazy delicious.

It is so quick to do, also, and less cleanup... :)
hotdog with melted cheese.jpg
10 inch hotdog with cheese and peppers.jpg

🔥 Latest posts