• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Basic Clubbuilding question...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Have been pulling a few shafts lately and have run into shaft plugs. These, IMHO, are the worst part of pulling shafts. I seem to have a real B@#%h of a time getting them out. I seem to do best at them when I use a really small drill bit, but am afraid I may damage the shaft. So, any suggestions as to what way works best to get these out? Thanks!

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Shaft plugs?

You mean tip weights? Or hosel plugs?

When I have a tip weight stick in a hosel I usually just heat the head so the remaining epoxy gets soft and then pull the plug out whole with a pair of needle nose pliers. I haven't had to drill one out yet.

Tip weights stuck in the shaft usually will usually pull outwith pliers right after the shaft is pulled and the epoxy is still soft.

The first hybrid shaft I pulled (one of my first shaft pulls ever) had a tip weight stuck in the hosel. Had me scratching my head for a while as I didn't want to drill it out... finally tried the needle nose pliers and it worked great.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer. I'm talking about the plugs that, I guess, are to help weight the head. In this case it's a plastic plug and it is stuck firmly in the tip of the shat. Is it safe to reheat the tip of the shaft a bit to try to pull that sucker out? I have a feeling if I pull the tip of this plug off than I am never going to get it out of the tip of the shaft!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
you mean steel shafts? You must bhe letting the epoxy cool, as MGP says they should just come out with small pliers. If they are in the shaft they still should be loose unless you have let them cool down

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
you mean steel shafts? You must bhe letting the epoxy cool, as MGP says they should just come out with small pliers. If they are in the shaft they still should be loose unless you have let them cool down

No, Graphite. And yes they cooled down. I, for some reason, wasn't paying attention after I pulled the shaft and then later noticed the plug was stuck in the tip. I don't really want to reheat the tip, but I guess I could just enough to get the plug out.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Are you talking about metal plugs in the graphite shafts? Like these?

agolfworks.com_images_200_LPW.jpg

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I have those in my irons... They fall out like hell if your not paying attention when you pull the shafts.. ;)

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Are you talking about metal plugs in the graphite shafts? Like these?

agolfworks.com_images_200_LPW.jpg

I wish it were those, those are easy to get out. The one I am finding most is a plastic tip. I'm going to see if I can find one on Golfworks or Golfsmith and post a link.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
BigJim, I know what you are talking about. I know the Hogan Hybrids had something like that. Nike drivers also. They are a PITA.

I have used a drill or a ramrod. I try the rod first. If that doesn't work, I drill with the smallest bit I can find then ramrod again. A lot of time the twisting bit will twist the piece out with it.

Good luck.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Try some punches.. I have used those before, and they work well for even getting epoxy out of the tip of the shafts when you pull them and stuff.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
In true Shot Talk tradition I'm going to hijack your thread for a bit Jim. Has anyone tried using a heat gun instead of a propane torch to heat and pull shafts with?

I'm not real comfortable putting a open flame on a club I paid hundreds of dollars for.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
In true Shot Talk tradition I'm going to hijack your thread for a bit Jim. Has anyone tried using a heat gun instead of a propane torch to heat and pull shafts with?

I'm not real comfortable putting a open flame on a club I paid hundreds of dollars for.

I only use a heat gun, never the torch. Works like a charm and no colour change or paint issues after the fact to deal with. I bought a gun that has specific tips that install on it for better heat focus.

R35

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I only use a heat gun, never the torch. Works like a charm and no colour change or paint issues after the fact to deal with. I bought a gun that has specific tips that install on it for better heat focus.

R35

I don't like using a heat gun. I don't feel like it heats fast enough or pointed enough. I also DON"T use a propane torch on a graphite shafted clubs. I use a butane pen torch that I got a HD for about $12. The propane torch gets the hosel on a driver/fw to hot and you risk overheating the tip of the shaft. The only time I use a propane torch is on irons with steel shafts.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
We use a torch on everything but light color heads or anything w/ insert......then, a heat gun

🔥 Latest posts