• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beer while you play or no?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Played the past 3 days with relatives. We meet in Sioux City, IA for a weekend of golf for the guys and shopping for the gals. All three of the guys drink beer... guzzle beer... snarf down beer. I do not drink... period. We are all "older", the youngest being 58. So, the guys do conduct themselves well. And, I usually end up driving whereever we go as I will be the only one able to pass a breathalyzer test.

At almost 67 years old, I've never acquired a taste for beer or hard liquor. Probably been 25 or 30 years since I've had anything alcoholic. So, the answer to your question is that I never drink while playing golf. Water... YES! Gatorade... sometimes.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Played the past 3 days with relatives. We meet in Sioux City, IA for a weekend of golf for the guys and shopping for the gals. All three of the guys drink beer... guzzle beer... snarf down beer. I do not drink... period. We are all "older", the youngest being 58. So, the guys do conduct themselves well. And, I usually end up driving whereever we go as I will be the only one able to pass a breathalyzer test.

At almost 67 years old, I've never acquired a taste for beer or hard liquor. Probably been 25 or 30 years since I've had anything alcoholic. So, the answer to your question is that I never drink while playing golf. Water... YES! Gatorade... sometimes.

Ok you get a free pass on any of my posts to say whatever the hell you feel like saying whenever the hell you feel like saying it.

OP
jhmeg2

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
I'll usually have one or two (sometimes 3) on the back side (usually tee off around 8:30). It's after we're done that's the problem.
Case in point...this past Sat., I teed off at 8:36, had a couple on the back side, and didn't leave the 19th hole 'till after 9PM, and had an 8:28 on Sun.
But we had fun!!!
As it should be. LOL

OP
jhmeg2

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Yeah I been drinking a bit more beer than ussual, so I decide to not drink for a little bit. Even if its only a few days. But I don't like to drink when I play.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Might have one at the turn, one on the back. Just depends on the mood of the day.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I may have a beer or 4 in an ambrose or at 9 holes on a Saturday if I'm not playing well but as a general rule, no.

Good Friday is a different matter though. I play with a regular team in an ambrose charity day. There's normally 140 players on the course that day so it's a LONG day. We generally average a beer (or spirits) every 1.5 holes. 12 cans / stubbies for the 18 is about par. Hey, it's all for a good cause! ;-)

This year myself and 3 32 handicappers shot 59 for a nett 46.something. I think I have the card somewhere... Here it is:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373988259.299797.jpg

Birdieing the last 5 holes straight pissed as mules was one hell of an accomplishment! :)

Straight Away

Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Country
We always fill the cooler with traditional Budweiser nips or those kewl little keg nippers from Heineken...back in the day it was Pabst or Shlitz. You old skewlers know what I am talking about and you kids have google to look it up!!!
Anyway, if its a tournament or money on the line you may want to drink more to stay focused....and keep the YIPS at bay....lol.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I may have a beer or 4 in an ambrose or at 9 holes on a Saturday if I'm not playing well but as a general rule, no.

Good Friday is a different matter though. I play with a regular team in an ambrose charity day. There's normally 140 players on the course that day so it's a LONG day. We generally average a beer (or spirits) every 1.5 holes. 12 cans / stubbies for the 18 is about par. Hey, it's all for a good cause! ;-)

This year myself and 3 32 handicappers shot 59 for a nett 46.something. I think I have the card somewhere... Here it is:View attachment 16050

Birdieing the last 5 holes straight pissed as mules was one hell of an accomplishment! :)

[Translation from Australian to American English.] "Ambrose" = "Scramble" :)

OP
jhmeg2

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
after a 41 on the front I had to have a beer on nine, then another at the turn. It was a bad round so I said "f" it I need a beer. Now I'm home and enjoying fermented malt beverages......

🔥 Latest posts