• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner Club set

jakeimbery

Jun 4, 2005
hello everyone i am a beginner golfer have been for about a month now jus borowinng a set of my friends clubs and looking for a set of my own im looking at buying a set for under 200 bucks so far i like the looks of the Dunlop surpass set comes with 450cc driver 3&5 wood and 3&4 utility irons all with graphite shafts and cavity back 5-pw with steel shafts and a carry back with shoulder straps and stand but you can check it out at Fogdog.com they have it on sale right now for 150 but i wanna know what you guys think!! im way open to other brands so let me know

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
jakeimbery said:
hello everyone i am a beginner golfer have been for about a month now jus borowinng a set of my friends clubs and looking for a set of my own im looking at buying a set for under 200 bucks so far i like the looks of the Dunlop surpass set comes with 450cc driver 3&5 wood and 3&4 utility irons all with graphite shafts and cavity back 5-pw with steel shafts and a carry back with shoulder straps and stand but you can check it out at Fogdog.com they have it on sale right now for 150 but i wanna know what you guys think!! im way open to other brands so let me know

Hi Jake!

When you say you are a beginner, have you had lessons or played on a course yet?

And is it just the looks that attract you to these clubs or have they been recommended - indeed, have you tried them?

OP
J

jakeimbery

Jun 4, 2005
uhh when i say im a beginner yes i have played on a corse the closes one to my hous eis a par3 9 hole that i score about a 33 on and have been golfing for about a month and really never picked up a club before then.

i guess the reason i am looking at these clubs more is because i have talked to a few ppl at my work (useless bay country club) and some say "dunlop dosent make bad golf clubs and that they have been in golf for a long time" plus dunlop is a femiliur name to me and what do they make thats bad?? riddle me that!. but also i have read reviews that say that the set i want"surpass" is compreble to a more exspencive set or a better brand. so all this info has lead me to dunlop clubs
the reason i chose the surpass set is because i have also heard that oversized irons hit better, and straiter which i think is true, because i have one 5 iron, some brand i have never herd of that i found on the corse that hits way better then the other cubs i have access to and i also chose this set because it comes with the 3&4 utility irons and not very many other set seem to. sorry if i have writen you to big of an essay but i want to get the right set of clubs ohh and no i have not had lessons i am about to take some. thanks -jake

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Jake:

Getting an entire set of clubs for $200 is very difficult. Most of us here have an investment of between $1000 and $2000 in our equipment. While you are looking at a single brand - Dunlop - most of us here have a multitude of brands in our bags. I have seven different brands in my bag and I am probably about average.

So frankly, almost none of us here will have familiarity with the types of equipment you are evaluating. I am not trying to be blunt - just honest. I doubt anyone here is playing a "starter set".

We Will Help Beginners Though!

Do you have any more room in your budget for equipment? Could you get it up to $500?

If you could get it up to $500 we could have a contest here among the members to suggest the best mix of clubs for that budget. And I will say, that you could get some pretty good clubs for $500. They would be a mix of new and lightly used clubs that are much better equipment than a single brand starter set.

Lemme know and good luck.

jerryopela

Jun 7, 2005
Jake,
There is another option that you can look in to that most people dont like to talk about. You can get low price clone clubs. They are knock offs of the brand name stuff. Some people say that they tread on the lines of copyright infringement, but most are clearly marked that they are a different brand, though the logos are similar. It is a gray area. Most of the people I have talked to with these clubs have liked them. I am going through the same thing you are and am still considering clone clubs as an option.

There are even a few people here that play with them.

Here are a few sites that have these clubs.
http://www.gigagolf.com/ - best prices I have found
http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/golf-clubs/irons
http://www.diamondtour.com

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Jake:

Bravo's right, most of us have a mixed set, but we've built it up over a couple of years, by adding & deleting stuff. If you look for a full set here's some things you might consider.

Take your time buying, You really want something right now, but in the cosmic scheme of things, what's a couple of days?

A round of golf is going to cost $25 on a cheap course, make the most of that money by using equipment you're comfortable with.

You'll need golf balls, Why hit $5 balls with a $2 club and a 50 cent swing?

If you're the type of guy who would get the "feel goods" by seeing Titleist or Ping in your bag, put 'em in your bag. Pro-line stuff really is better quality, they've got a name to protect.

Make sure that the irons have stainless steel heads. Stay away from "miracle metal" or "super steel" those are usually thinly chrome plated zinc clubs. They'll wear quickly and won't make you happy. If they don't say stainless steel, they aren't.

Graphite shafts on irons are expensive. If the clubs you're considering are inexpensive with graphite shafts, you can count on inconsistencies in the shafts. That's a bad thing. Stick to steel shafts in your irons.

You gotta have a bag that'll take a beating.

You'll use a driver, at most, 14 times during a round (if you use a driver at all), you'll use a putter about 40. Don't worry about a putter coming with your set. If there's one in your set, it'll probably be the first club you replace. Add putter money to your budget up front.

You'll need at least one wedge (other than a PW). A PW in the hands of a beginner is probably about 80 yards. A beginner is going to hit very few greens from 80 yards. What'ca gonna do from 40?

A new club becomes a used club after the first swing. New stuff is expensive.

See what you can put together in a used set from a golf store. It'll probably cost more than blue-light specials, but you'll be much happier. If it's used stuff in a smaller store, you can deal with them. Offer less than he asks, you'll probably be able to talk 'em down.

Discover the joys of E-Bay! Read descriptions carefully & look for omissions. Only consider stuff with clear pictures of the clubs you're selling - look out for "stock photos". Stick to sellers with lots of transactions & very few or no negatives. Never pay with western union, checks, or money orders.

Happy ho-ing!

OP
J

jakeimbery

Jun 4, 2005
well thats another thing i thought about doing IF i bought a cheap or cheaper set of clubs, is bying them and over time deleting them and buying better to replace. i have been reading lot's of golf mags and i work at a country club so yes i kinda know what brans are better then other for the most part and how big some of there price tags can be, but it seems to be a lot of personal preference as well. right now 500 is prety far off my price range but even if i got good used set of cluubs like you said it would still end up costing a lot more then what i would wanna spend isnt that what you guys just expland? and the corse is not a big deal really sence i work fo rthe club they let me play all the golf i want it's a beautiful 18 hole corse you guys should check it out i dont know if they have a web site or not but you can search it on google so long letter short what if i cant aford 500 doller clubs?

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hell man, If you work at a club, tell the pro you got $200 & ask him to fix you up!

T

tfmd

What do you guys think about Adams GT2 Tight Lies? I got a driver, 3 and 5 woods, irons (3-PW) AND stand bag from Edwin Watts for $400. My REAL question is--for a beginner who's HOOKED--no pun intended--on golf (I've only had 4 lessons thus far), would you recommend the new PING G2 or another equiv? I.E., is it gonna improve my weak game early on or would you wait a year?

longiron

May 2, 2005
If you have a problem getting the ball up go with the G2. It is realy easy to hit high and far.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Alright, here's my take. Buying Dunlop clubs is not by any means a good use of 200 dollars. Knock your budget up to 300(you'll thank me later), and look for some of these clubs on eBay:

Driver-Adams GT, TaylorMade 300 Series, Wilson Deep Red

Fairway woods- Orlimar Trimetal, Adams GT

Iron Set-Adams Tight Lies, Top Flite XL 2000, Tommy Armour 845 or 855

Wedges- Adams Tom Watson set

Putter- whatever fits your eye and wallet

I would take a look at full sets of Adams clubs, there are new Full Iron and Wood sets going for 269.99, and are a much better value than Dunlops, or you could go the used route and try to scalp up a set of clubs for under 3 bills. You could do it to, and in the long run you'll have made a better decidion than buying poor-quality Walmart clubs

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Jake:

Nsherman's suggestions are much better than the Dunlop.

One of the things we try to explain to new golfers here is the concept of Resale Value. Adams clubs are respected and when the time came for you to replace them - you could put them on eBay and get a decent percentage of what you originally paid for the clubs.

This is much less likely with the Dunlops. I am not putting them down, but I would try the Nsherman route before I would do the Dunlop thing.

And since you work at a CC - ask the pro to help you.

OP
J

jakeimbery

Jun 4, 2005
no it's ok i know you guys arent trying to put down the dunlops and it would be ok if you where thats the reason i joined shot taqlk and asked you guys this Q. and in return i have got some very usefull advice and i thank you guys for it last nite i did some research on adams clubs an di think i can put together a set for fairly cheap off of there i was checkin out the tight lies irons and i think i can swing it but i will probably come back to you guys sometime in the near future to ask you more about which adams clubs you think i should get unless you guys want to answear me now
???. Thanks a lot guys you have been a big help, -jake

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
That's what we're here for jake. Fire away.

Demo several of the adams offerings. As a beginner, the Ideas would be a very good setup for you, as they have hybrid longirons.

🔥 Latest posts