• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beginner golfer looking for tips

Jake satterwhite

Apr 18, 2014
Country
United States United States
Ok well today my dad took me to play gold for the first time, and I instantly fell in love with it. I would like some tips that would help me, also I would like to know if it is to late for me to get good enough to get a scholarship (I'm currently 15). I have a video of my swing if that would help to see it so you could give me better tips my email is [email protected]

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
1st something small. Move the ball just a little further back and move your hands just a little in front of the ball at address.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
LeadbetterHundred-stance.jpg

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yes and you should study the grip. It goes into the fingers. The hand holding the end of the club will actually allow you to bend at the hand and not the elbow, giving you much greater distance.

OP
J

Jake satterwhite

Apr 18, 2014
Country
Ok thank you guys, also is it to late for me to get good enough to get a scholarship?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Ok I'm fine with putting in a lot of work. I couldn't believe how quick I fell in love with it
Golf is a great game and passion, it isn't easy but when you groove one and it goes where you want...those are the shots that keep you coming back.

Welcome to shottalk!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Keep in mind that colleges treat scholarships different in non revenue sports than they do for revenue sports (football and basketball). For example, Some golf teams will have a certain number of scholarships available to distribute among it's players, say 8 scholarships for 14 players. Also it's much more common to have a renewable scholarship as apposed to a "4 year" scholarship. What that means is you get a 1 year scholarship and have to re-earn it every year. One advantage a collage golfer has over the big sports is that whatever college you go to is irrelevant when it concerns going pro. In the big sports going to a big time college helps your "draft" status, but in golf you have to earn your way onto the tour.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Keep in mind that colleges treat scholarships different in non revenue sports than they do for revenue sports (football and basketball). For example, Some golf teams will have a certain number of scholarships available to distribute among it's players, say 8 scholarships for 14 players. Also it's much more common to have a renewable scholarship as apposed to a "4 year" scholarship. What that means is you get a 1 year scholarship and have to re-earn it every year. One advantage a collage golfer has over the big sports is that whatever college you go to is irrelevant when it concerns going pro. In the big sports going to a big time college helps your "draft" status, but in golf you have to earn your way onto the tour.
^^^this, well said Greg.

🔥 Latest posts