• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beijing Olympics 2008

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
The Dutch are steamrolling the American soccer team.... but it's still 1-0 at the half.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Australia played a piss poor game. They could've easily tied that up.

Good basketball game though, nice to see them getting along well.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
The Dutch and their 93rd minute free kick and suck it. Great goal by Sasha and an opportunistic goal by Altidore.

Novak will have his work cut out for him against the Nigerians... no Freddy, no Bradley due to yellow cards. The Nigerians will be without TWO players due to red cards, so we might be ok.

Need a win or a draw to guarantee advancing. Can't count on the Japanese to get over on the Dutch for us.......

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
anyone catch phelps and mens 4x100 relay? just etched the french....beautiful.

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
Im looking forward towatching the Ping Pong matches, those guys are crazy with the paddle :D

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
anyone catch phelps and mens 4x100 relay? just etched the french....beautiful.

One of the best olympic moments I've ever seen. Easily the best I can remember.

The French are supposed to steamroll the swimming; with the top Female 400m swimmer set to defend her gold medal, then the most high powered team to wash up the Americans. The term "destroy'' was used by the French team, I believe.

Marmadoue (the french gal) finishes in a DISTANT last place. WAY behind. Like; had a kid in the water, narcolepsy behind.

The Americans win the relay on a last length comeback to beat the french by .08 seconds. Absolutely electrifying. Phelps was having a cow.

Take that AGAIN, France!

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
What a shame the 4 x 100 free relay was at 11:15 PM. Me and my sone watched it and were going nuts.

Perhaps the best swimming race I have ever seend.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
What a shame the 4 x 100 free relay was at 11:15 PM. Me and my sone watched it and were going nuts.

This is just what I was thinking. I felt and feel very sorry for everyone who didn't get to see that.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is just what I was thinking. I felt and feel very sorry for everyone who didn't get to see that.

WHy would I care to see the US win gold medals?:prop:

The summer olympics are a bore to watch for me personally, but it sure puts the true test out there. You have to be the fastest, the highest, the strongest or the quickest or you aren't jack shit. It's you against everyone else.

I hate sports where "judging is concerned." Technical Merit? Degree of difficulty? Artistic Merit? WTF is that nonsense? While the WInter Olympics has some of that (aerial ski jumping, figure skating, etc), i still prefer them (with obvious bias).

R35

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

I saw it and I was going nuts!

WHy would I care to see the US win gold medals?:prop:

The summer olympics are a bore to watch for me personally, but it sure puts the true test out there. You have to be the fastest, the highest, the strongest or the quickest or you aren't jack shit. It's you against everyone else.

I hate sports where "judging is concerned." Technical Merit? Degree of difficulty? Artistic Merit? WTF is that nonsense? While the WInter Olympics has some of that (aerial ski jumping, figure skating, etc), i still prefer them (with obvious bias).

R35

I agree, especially since there's been obvious bias in some of the judges. But gymnastics are such a huge part of the Olympics, its just a necessary evil.

I do enjoy the straight forward sports the most though, swimming, soccer, baseball, all that.

Oh, and the only reason you don't watch them is that Canada sucks at anything warm, fish out of water.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004

R35

The wife and I were having that conversation last night. One of the announcers during a diving competition made a comment that the Americans score would "depend on the first four judges" and I'm thinking wtf.

I've already forgotten who they were but when they showed the scores it made sense. And sure enough those four judges scored them a full point less than the others.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Looking at the media today from the Mens 4 x 100 free relay win.... no less than FIVE teams broke the world record in the race. Sweden and Italy broke the World Record in the race and did not even get a medal. That's nuts. Looking back at my post I could not even spell correctly!!!! :wow:

I suppose it would be like shooting 20 under at the US Open at Torrey Pines, only to be beaten by -21, -22, -23 and Tiger at -24.

As for the "judges" at some of these events. I really don't watch them too much.... don't care for it. My wife was watching the synchronized diving last night and the announcers were talking about how the Chinese diver had her feet come apart, one diver opened up from her tuck slightly before the other, minor flaws, but they were there. The recieved several perfect 10's anyway.

Later the Americans had a really nice dive (it might have even been the one which referred to the "first four judges" deal) and before the scores came up I announced that they would recieve some at 8.5, 9.0 and maybe two 9.5's. That's exactly how it was scored. I stopped watching right then and then. Reputation has no part in deciding the medals after four years of training so tough and so demanding that you and I can probably never understand it completely.

Then the taller of the two American Beach Volleyball women (the blonde one) knocked on the front door, I let her in, she had a six pack of Bell's Oberon Beer, and a Pizza. I sat down at drank the beer and ate the pizza while she began kissing my wife. And then....

Oops... women on here now.. Sorry ladies. I'll stop.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.