1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beijing Olympics 2008

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by JEFF4i, Aug 9, 2008.

1. TheWOAT

TheWOAT Well-Known Member

Doesnt it seem that every 4 years someone complains about the judges in gymnastics?
    Did anyone see the womens 100m final?

2. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

United States United States
    I don't like a "sport" where there are judges involved. If it can't be decided with a stop watch, an actual score or measurement, then I don't think it should be in the Olympics. How the hell does anyone look at a few dives or gymnastics routines, etc & decide one is worth an 8.2 & the other an 8.5? Plus why would any judging panel have members of the nation that are competing on it? Just smacks of favoritism or nationalism.

3. usa1950

usa1950 Divots like a 72 Playboy

I liked Bolt's antics... and felt it added to the race. All the way down the track he was looking to his right, looking for Powell. He looked for him a few times. 25 meters to go, he still does not see him, and he's overjoyed, and reacts as such. It's like Tiger hitting a putt or chip and raising his club up as its close... he KNOWS it is in. It's Larry Bird shooting a three pointer from right near the sideline, and turning around to face the opponents bench while the ball is still in the air.

I see no problem with it at all. It was sheer joy. If anything, it will be remembered for along time.

The 100 Meter Final is THE premier track and field event and one of the top 2 or 3 events of any Summer Games, maybe #1 depending on the host country.

A little "above and beyond" is fine in this event for me. The women's marathon, the Romanian runner had it sewn up by the time she entered the stadium. She was running hard, and waved to the crowd many times in the last 400 meters. Was this any different than Bolt?

If anything, Bolt's ability to celebrate during the race, and still win by such a margin, setting a World Record to boot, adds to his domination, imo. It was something I could see Carl Lewis doing back in the day, but perhaps not to the same extent.

For what it's worth, the best home run trot in baseball is Scott Rolen, imo. He keeps his head down, and practically sprints around the bases.

The 100 meter is a different animal.

4. Clugnut

Clugnut Gimme some roombas!

That women's vault final was just bullshit, though. The Chinese girl almost fell on her face on one, and was OB on the other. The German lady hit two awesome vaults, and was still 2nd. Seemed fishy.

I agreed that if it uses opinion, it should be out.

5. cwo2lt

cwo2lt Mulligans-R-Us

Tiger doesn't look at his opponent and wave his arms like a damnfool chanting "I'm gonna beat you" as he addresses the ball. Thats the difference, wait to cross the finish line then celebrate.

6. Stooonne

Stooonne Well-Known Member

\

Track isn't golf.

7. usa1950

Did Bolt chant to his opponents ANYTHING at all? From what I have heard and saw, he did not chant anything. If I'm wrong, please correct.

As for crossing the finish line before celebrating, I guess no more fist pumps until the final putt drops on the final day then. Don't forget to inform the Ryder Cup crowd.

No celebrating or displays of emotion by any players or fans until the final match has ended, please.

As Stooone suggested, Track isn't golf. Celebrating with 20 meters to go, while unusual, is not that different than a home run trot after a walk off HR, walking up the 19th fairway with a 4 shot lead and waving to the crowd, or a race car driver dipping in towards the pit wall to salute his pit crew while on the final straightaway on the final lap, or raising a fist while on the final lap.

8. TheWOAT

Jeeeze, some people need to relax. I saw Bob Costas be critical of Bolt last night and I never thought Bob Costas could be more annoying. Bolt easily won, and it was beyond obvious to Bolt during the race that he was winning, that he would win, and that there was no chance of him losing and he celebrated. Whoop-Dee-Freakin-Doo
    Didnt Kirk Gibson celebrate in the 1988 World Series after hitting HR off of Eckersley(sp)? He hadnt crossed home plate yet, and the series was far from over after that game, but he still did those memorable fist pumps...did anyone call him a showboat? Brett Favre celebrates like every touchdown was his personal bachelor party.
    There is a difference between celebrating (like Bolt was doing IMO), and showing someone up (Reggie Bush comes to mind in that playoff game against the Bears)

9. cwo2lt

cwo2lt Mulligans-R-Us

I just have a different opinion about sports in general than some of you I guess. Finish then celebrate.

Tiger hits the putt and celebrates before it drops, he has done everything he can do and is waiting on the Golf Gods to see if it goes in. Thats OK, he's done his part. The QB (pick one) throws the ball and sees the WR running for the end zone with no one around, he's done with his part of the play so go ahead and jump up and down. The WR on the other hand should wait until he is done, i.e crosses the goal line, before he celebrates. Finish then celebrate.

Want to hear my opinion about atheletes who live and train in the USA and compete for another country in the Olympics?:D

10. TheWOAT

Probably I would agree with what you write... Especially the case of Chris Kaman.

11. cwo2lt

cwo2lt Mulligans-R-Us

12. mddubya

mddubya Hybrid convert

On a slightly different note about the Olympics. I didn't know until yesterday that BMX is now a Olympic sport. Want to hear a hoot? That young man Donny Robinson that is expected to win a medal for the USA in it, my youngest son used to race BMX up until he was 16 and raced Donny Robinson numerous times at big National races and used to consistently beat him. Kind of makes me and my wife wonder what would have happened if Matt hadn't quit racing? Maybe he could have been in the Olympics? Who knows, but it did make us wonder what if?

13. cwo2lt

cwo2lt Mulligans-R-Us

Well, he can brag he was better than a Gold Medal winner anyway!:usflag:

14. TheWOAT

At least he didnt get another citizenship to play for another country...

15. Stooonne

The IOC is investigating the age of He Kexin, which could mean the U.S. would get the women's gold in gymnastics team final.

16. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

As they should.

17. Stooonne

The IOC said there is not enough proof, figures.

18. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

United States United States
    Pussies!
    Don't want to upset the chinese.

19. usa1950

It is just an exercise akin to a warning shot across the bow...a BIG warning shot.

NEVER AGAIN is the IOC message......

20. Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks bow-chicka-bow-wow

I suspect that, if anything is to be done about it, it will happen after the games are over. No chance they will risk upsetting the host country, which has a long history of retributive conduct, while the games are still going on. Too many opportunities for bad things to happen at the hands of the Chinese government. Much more likely that the Chinese team will be stripped of their medals after the games are over. Frankly, while I know that the U.S. is no angel, I was surprised that China was even awarded the games.