• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beijing Olympics 2008

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Hmmm...that I don't know. If they are electronic, then it's hard to argue. SI has a frame-by-frame look from the underwater cameras at the finish. I'd call it inconclusive from those pics. But it does show how far behind his arms were at the last stroke.

Can you post a link? I'd like to have a look.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/oly.phelps.sequence/content.1.html

ai.cdn.turner.com_si_multimedia_photo_gallery_0808_oly.phelps.sequence_images_opgm_37116_mid.jpg

ai.cdn.turner.com_si_multimedia_photo_gallery_0808_oly.phelps.sequence_images_opgm_37117_mid.jpg

Racer, notice the plates against the wall of the pool - they are sensors to stop the clock.

The photos are inconclusive, but based on the position of Phelps hand (more arc = more pressure = closer to wall), I'd say Phelps got it by a hair. But I'm like you - how the hell did he get his arms there that fast?!?!? Dude's an alien!

The article did say, however, that Phelps went for the extra stroke, while Cavic tried to glide in.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
EDIT: Nevermind. Found it:

Racer, notice the plates against the wall of the pool - they are sensors to stop the clock.

The photos are inconclusive, but based on the position of Phelps hand (more arc = more pressure = closer to wall), I'd say Phelps got it by a hair. But I'm like you - how the hell did he get his arms there that fast?!?!? Dude's an alien!

The article did say, however, that Phelps went for the extra stroke, while Cavic tried to glide in.
Those pics are what I saw at the end of the race. As they approached the wall I said, "No way Phelps wins." How he made up that much in the last fraction of a second...well, maybe he's like David Blaine, and Barry Sanders, and can stop time.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Huge upset by the Men's Water Polo team, in beating Croatia. If you are an American Water Polo fan, this is the equivalent of 1980 Olympic Hockey.

Do you believe in Miracles? Yesssssss!

Watched the Ladies Team Table Tennis this morning. China over Singapore. Freaking incredible. I can play a bit (winning some $ in the dorm in college, beating nearly all takers) and these gals were incredible.

Anyone know when the men will be on/playing?

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Re: The Phelps photos above. Phelps' right hand is on the wall, his fingertips are bending back. The other fellows fingers are not yet on the wall.

Phelps took the extra half stroke, and more inportantly, kept his head down. Notice the "head up" finish of the other guy... slowing his "glide" finish even more.

Not that I am an expert or anything... just what Rowdy Gaines was saying on the broadcast/interview/replay... whatever I was watching.

8 freaking gold medals. Ridiculous. I made sure my kids (12 and 10) stayed up and watched it..... they will remember it as perhaps the best athletic feat of their lifetimes. My son was off the couch jumping up and down on the last 50 meters... he said his heart was pounding. We were at the 2006 World Series Game 4 and the clinching Game 5 for our beloved St, Louis Cardinals... he said his heart has not pounded like that since then.

Pretty apt description I'd say.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Huge upset by the Men's Water Polo team, in beating Croatia. If you are an American Water Polo fan, this is the equivalent of 1980 Olympic Hockey.
Great match, and a good win by an underdog, but comparing it to the 1980 Hockey team?

The Croatians have won a single medal - Silver - in the 108 year history of the Olympic sport. The US has won eight medals over that period.

No way the 2008 Croations are the same dominant team the Russians were in 1980.

If it was Hungary (14 of the last 54 medals, and Golds in 2000 and 2004) defeated by the Republic of Lichenstein, maybe.

But Croatia?

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Great match, and a good win by an underdog, but comparing it to the 1980 Hockey team?

The Croatians have won a single medal - Silver - in the 108 year history of the Olympic sport. The US has won eight medals over that period.

No way the 2008 Croations are the same dominant team the Russians were in 1980.

If it was Hungary (14 of the last 54 medals, and Golds in 2000 and 2004) defeated by the Republic of Lichenstein, maybe.

But Croatia?

Fair enough... I did not search Craotian Water Polo History... just going by the announcers apparently ridiculous overzealous stroking of all things USA.

This just in.... Michael Phelps took a leak, and did so in world record time!!

I sit corrected, and you now know more about Hungarian Water Polo than your neighbor, guaranteed!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
in the phelps photos above...it also looks like the other guy raised his hands so that he'd hit the wall with more of his palms than fingertips...which would make him have to go another 2-3 inches....which when we're talking .01 is huge.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Anyone else disgusted by Bolt in the finals of the 100? Showboating 15m from the finish. A-hole needs to show some respect for the games.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Fair enough... I did not search Craotian Water Polo History... just going by the announcers apparently ridiculous overzealous stroking of all things USA.

This just in.... Michael Phelps took a leak, and did so in world record time!!

I sit corrected, and you now know more about Hungarian Water Polo than your neighbor, guaranteed!
Fear not, whever I need to know anything about football, you're the man!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone else disgusted by Bolt in the finals of the 100? Showboating 15m from the finish. A-hole needs to show some respect for the games.

Looked like the unbridled joy of a 21 year old to me.

The guy was begging his coach to give him the chance to run the 100M less than a year ago and then he runs the most dominant 100M I've ever seen in the Olympics.

Agreed he hasn't learned the diplomatic way to handle the Olympics yet but I don't think for a minute that he was intentionally showing any disrespect.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Looked like the unbridled joy of a 21 year old to me.

The guy was begging his coach to give him the chance to run the 100M less than a year ago and then he runs the most dominant 100M I've ever seen in the Olympics.

Agreed he hasn't learned the diplomatic way to handle the Olympics yet but I don't think for a minute that he was intentionally showing any disrespect.

I don't like showboating in sports. Get the ball in the end zone, run the bags after a walk off grand slam, finish the race, then celebrate.

I would also have banned Sergio for spitting in the cup.

Respect the Game.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I don't like showboating in sports. Get the ball in the end zone, run the bags after a walk off grand slam, finish the race, then celebrate.

I would also have banned Sergio for spitting in the cup.

Respect the Game.

Just shows how two people can see the same thing and come away with completely different impressions.

And I agree the Sergio spitting thing was disgusting though totally different (to me) than an over exuberant celebration.

On the subject of Phelps. In the swimming world, what he did would have to be compared to Tiger beating Jack's major record. Can't even imagine the odds of 8 or 8.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Just shows how two people can see the same thing and come away with completely different impressions.

And I agree the Sergio spitting thing was disgusting though totally different (to me) than an over exuberant celebration.

On the subject of Phelps. In the swimming world, what he did would have to be compared to Tiger beating Jack's major record. Can't even imagine the odds of 8 or 8.

Yep, and no bloody noses either!

I agree about Phelps, an incredible feat.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online