• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Ball for Wet Fairways

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I usually play the Pro-V-1. Although I'm a senior and distance challenged, I like how it performs around the green. As cooler (and wetter) weather approaches I'm thinking a different ball might help me get a few more yards off the tee without sacrificing too much feel on and around the greens. I'm curious as to if any of you on this forum change balls when the course conditions become less friendly.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I don't change my ball ever. I did buy an 8.5 degree driver in anticipation of wetter conditions, but unfortunately that now limits my ability to carry bunkers or trees.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
If it's really wet out I'll switch to one of these.
12037691.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've been pleased with the Callaway Chrome Soft. Good reaction around the greens and I seem to eke a little more distance out of them then the ProV's. One of the guys in our group swears by the new Titleist Tour Soft. I think it is very similar to the old NXT Tour.

If I ever purchased balls, I would go with the Chrome Soft. Been trying to get all my "basement hoard of balls" organized. I have 10 dozen in egg cartons. 3 dozen are ProV's. 2 dozen Taylor Made tour balls. A couple dozen Srixons. Another dozen or two of Titleist Tour Soft, NXT Tour, etc. Have a full 5-gallon bucket of pristine used balls... Pinnacle Soft, Kirkland, etc. When it comes to balls... I've got 'em!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I’ve basically played either the pro V1 or X all season. Best all around performance for me bar none. I think the only way you’d see any real distance gain is if you went to a distance ball, but you’d give up feel and short game performance.

Like life, golf has lots of trade offs. Stick with your current ball would be my advice.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Plus wetter weather means softer conditions. Fire at the flag, knowing that it likely won’t be too far away since the greens will be holding better.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I think you all are correct. " If it ain't broke; don't fix it ". I'm learning to live with shorter tee shots after my injury.
The ProV1 has worked well. If I start struggling from 6250 yards when it's cold and wet, I'll move up to 6000 yds.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Nope. I play the same ball regardless of course condition.

[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️[emoji651]️ This... I’ve been a Bridgestone E6 fan for a few years now and I believe wholeheartedly if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. So don’t!!!

I did buy a dozen Srixon Q-star on sale. On a whim and I find them very similar to the E6!

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Update: It was fairly wet and cool one day last week, so I tried an AVX. It worked pretty well. It's slightly longer but performs similar to the ProV1 around and on the greens. I play in a group of seniors ( I'm the oldest at 70) and they all play the AVX.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Update: It was fairly wet and cool one day last week, so I tried an AVX. It worked pretty well. It's slightly longer but performs similar to the ProV1 around and on the greens. I play in a group of seniors ( I'm the oldest at 70) and they all play the AVX.
Have played a few "found" AVX's. Really like them. I, too, get slightly more distance than the ProV... with the same soft feel.

RHill24

Nov 24, 2020
Country
Are there other balls? Damn! Now I really feel like a newbie.

🔥 Latest posts