• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Irons of All Time

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Can I choose #6, none of the above.

Yep agree with this one... none of those even makes an honorable mention in my book. Ask 25 players from different decades and get at least 100 different answers. :ugly25:

It's really a question with no possible answer.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Of all the ones I've hit, the top of my list is TM RAC mb's followed by my Srixon i506's. But then again, I haven't hit all the ones listed by others.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I played with Spalding Topflite Pro-Forged blades from 1975 to 2007. I tried just about every iron made during that time, but never found anything that felt better. I truly believe there was a time that Spalding made the best irons, and now they are only known for some very hard golf balls. I re-chromed and re-grooved those clubs a few times along the way. Then I tried some Mizuno clubs, and I realized there was something better than my old favorites. I ended up with the MP-67's and I would put them as the number one iron because I am a little worried that one of the newer models might be an improvement. The MP-67's, in my opinion were their best when they first came out, so it might be that each new model may be an improvement. Still, I do not believe that the small head cavity back irons give you much "forgiveness" and I do not think they are quite as mellow feeling as the blades when you hit a pure shot.

I cannot put Ping irons as high as some here because as I have said once before, I just cannot play a club that makes me think of that cartoon thing named Gumby. Before the Ping fans jump on me for saying this, let me say that I switched my driver from a Tiltleist to the Ping G-10, partly on my own research and partly from what Warbird had to say about the club. I think just as highly of the G-10 as I do of my MP-67's. After re-reading IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT CLUB by Wishon, I got my G-10 with a 12* head. Wishon was correct! If your swing speed is between 90 and 95 mph, you get more distance with more loft. Best of all, you get the extra distance with no effort. At slower speeds, more loft equals more spin meaning more time in the air and greater distance.

Before I close, THANKS WARBIRD.

Sincerely, CP

Last point: I am convinced that if you try to get all of your clubs from one company, you will probably have a weaker set than you could have had, even though it might be a pretty good one.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I'm thinking in terms of irons that have had a huge impact on the game.

Ping Eye2's
Callaway Big Berthas
Hogan Apex Plus
Tommy Armour 845
Adams Idea (introduced the hybrid set)
Wilson Staff Blades

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I played with Spalding Topflite Pro-Forged blades from 1975 to 2007. I tried just about every iron made during that time, but never found anything that felt better. I truly believe there was a time that Spalding made the best irons, and now they are only known for some very hard golf balls. I re-chromed and re-grooved those clubs a few times along the way. Then I tried some Mizuno clubs, and I realized there was something better than my old favorites. I ended up with the MP-67's and I would put them as the number one iron because I am a little worried that one of the newer models might be an improvement. The MP-67's, in my opinion were their best when they first came out, so it might be that each new model may be an improvement. Still, I do not believe that the small head cavity back irons give you much "forgiveness" and I do not think they are quite as mellow feeling as the blades when you hit a pure shot.

I cannot put Ping irons as high as some here because as I have said once before, I just cannot play a club that makes me think of that cartoon thing named Gumby. Before the Ping fans jump on me for saying this, let me say that I switched my driver from a Tiltleist to the Ping G-10, partly on my own research and partly from what Warbird had to say about the club. I think just as highly of the G-10 as I do of my MP-67's. After re-reading IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT CLUB by Wishon, I got my G-10 with a 12* head. Wishon was correct! If your swing speed is between 90 and 95 mph, you get more distance with more loft. Best of all, you get the extra distance with no effort. At slower speeds, more loft equals more spin meaning more time in the air and greater distance.

Sincerely, CP

Last point: I am convinced that if you try to get all of your clubs from one company, you will probably have a weaker set than you could have had, even though it might be a pretty good one.

Welcome back CP! Have missed your insights! Where you been?

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Does anyone know who the designer was for the Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scott's? I played them for years and still have a set that I gave to my son who uses them. Still, IMO the most classic (along with maybe the Hogen Apex) of all designs and one that had a huge impact on industry design going forward. Still see them in a lot of bags, and of good players too.
In fact when I finally moved to a new set of irons in '96, I got what I felt was actually a similar, but more modern (at that time) design in the PING ISI's (that I am still playing with although with new shafts).

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
After re-reading IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT CLUB by Wishon, I got my G-10 with a 12* head. Wishon was correct! If your swing speed is between 90 and 95 mph, you get more distance with more loft. Best of all, you get the extra distance with no effort. At slower speeds, more loft equals more spin meaning more time in the air and greater distance.

Sincerely, CP

Good to see you back the last week or so.

I couldn't agree more with both the points I highlighted. Well, not including the Thanks WBL ;) With my 12* driver and the shaft it just doesn't even pay to go after the ball. Even if I catch it right, it just really doesn't add a whole lot. Possibly less.

Also couldn't agree more with the second point. When I had all Ping clubs from my driver to my wedges, only had my putter non-Ping, I was happy with the set for a very short while. Till the effect of new clubs wore off and I realized what it did to my game, and this is not a shot against Ping. I loved the driver and Wedges, but absolutely despised the G2 FW's and the offset on the irons killed my game. My set now leaves me with even no consideration to change a club with exception to replacing my GW which has a bowed shaft. Probably even buy the same club in a 50*, then maybe bend it back to 51*, as opposed to buying 52* and doing the same, or try the new Ping TourW Wedge.

I will never own a brand specific set again, and would be hesitant even if they seem like the best for each. Although I think I am becoming set in my ways on possibly owning the same brand for each type of club I currently own. The Cleveland 64* was the only that I am not extremely attached too. Only because the options in that loft were kind off limited, but I play it well so far and don't notice a big difference from the Pings.

Kinda makes Christmas and Birthdays difficult when I have to find new things to look for because I have no desire to buy clubs.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I was wondering where you were Cypress...lurking the forums ready to strike!

PAH PAH!

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Took some time and research, but guy that originally designed the Tommy Armour 845's was John Hoeflich, a close friend with the CEO of Nickent.

earlswax

Aug 25, 2009
1. 1986 Spalding Tour Editions
2. Hogan Apex until 1993
3. Haig Ultra Crenshaw Grind
4. Wilson Staff 1987 Fluid Feel
5. Hogan Radial

I have 14 sets of irons, all of which I love and use. 11 sets are blades. My Armour 845s and Titleist DCIs, and Ping Eye2s, are collecting dust. I have a set of PGA Customs from 1970, that have only been hit 5-6 times, and some likewise 1973 Haig Ultras. These rank right below the above 5, as well as Staff Bullet Backs. Go Blades!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
1. Ping Eye 2 - Energizer Bunny of Irons, just keep going, and going, and going...
2. Wilson Staff (old blades) - Back in the day, if you weren't hitting these you weren't sh*t.
3. Armour 845 - Been around lots of years and are still mentioned every time you hear "I'm new to golf, what irons?"
4. Miz - MX-23 Forged goodness with a cavity back.
5. Titleist 822OS - Titleist GI irons, a real anomaly. In my bag on purpose, Never hit any better clubs.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep agree with this one... none of those even makes an honorable mention in my book. Ask 25 players from different decades and get at least 100 different answers. :ugly25:

It's really a question with no possible answer.

I think you can define 'best', in as much as the irons to be regarded as the best must change golf significantly, and only one club has ever done that and it was the Ping Eye 2s

this club transformed golf for thousands of high handicap players and they transformed the way clubs were designed. Post Eye 2s iron design was never the same again and relegated blades to being 'player' irons

if you don't define 'best' as anything other than unanswerable then all you have is cost, at which point Honma would win every award and they weer shyte (apart from their wedges)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online