• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best irons

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Looks like this summer I can retire my Cleveland VAS 792's I've been playing since Corey Pavin won the open with them and get something new.

I'm leaning toward Pings but would sure appreciate some opinions and personal experience you've had. Comment on steel vs graphite shafts also please.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Had to see if my new driver info showed up below and it didn't. Sorry.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
ive heard great things about the ping g5s...ive hit them as well...very easy to hit..and they get up there...which isnt good for me cuz im a high ball hitter..but still they are strait, long, and easy.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i personally have never used graphites shafts in irons, which are typically used in women's and senior sets to help distance issues, steel shafts are normally used in typical mens sets b/c they will hold a tighter, more consistent pattern of shots.

if i had more time i'd go into details... but i have huge projects due tomorrow i need to do

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
Pings are great and are my personal choice when it comes to irons. Their reputation for fitting is excellent. Whatever you go with, make sure you get to try before you buy, and get fitted. It'll save you a world of "did I get the right stuff?" trouble later.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Just saw the add for the new Cleveland CG-4 irons and their "new" material that dampens vibration. They show a comparison picture of their "microstructure" vs steel microstructure. Guess what. It's just ductile (nodular) iron. I'm the metallurgist for a transmission company and look at this stuff all day long. And yes, it is strong (as strong as low alloy steel) and does dampen vibration. But it's NOT steel. When you add high amounts of carbon you make iron. Thought you all would get a kick out of that.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Steel has more pure "iron" in it then cast irons actually but has a closely controlled carbon content. Steel has from 0.05-1.00% carbon in it. The saturation point of carbon in iron is 1%. More carbon then that and the carbon is no longer in "solution" but goes into "graphite" form to make your gray or ductile cast irons. If you look at the "iron-carbon phase diagram" you'll see when you go over the 1% carbon you now have iron instead of steel. Sorry if I'm blabbing too much but the only way to explain it I guess. Not trying to sound like a know it all.

Now steel can be "quenched" to Rockwell "C" hardness of up to 65 if you have over .50% carbon in it (more carbon higher hardness). Titanium is Rockwell "C" 67 with no heat treating necessary and much lighter. That's why it's such awesome stuff.

Peak

May 5, 2006
I also recommend the Pings mainly for the reasons stated above. I really like mine, just all around good clubs. Getting them fitted is probably a good idea too.

Members online