• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bigger, deeper, faster, longer - Really??

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Let me start by saying that this thread isn't about me being a champion long driver. Not at all. It's about the guff we keep getting fed about equipment to the effect that each year's ball is longer than the previous years & each years driver is longer than the previous years.

I played in a tourney over 3 days last week. I'm a mid-capper. On the last day, I hit 3 x 290 metre (or "meter" to Americans) drives. Long, slight draw, middle of the fairway, distance verified. Guess what? I was using a 2007 Bridgestone 330s golf ball and a 2009 Nike VR Tour driver. If you believed all of the marketing babble, you'd have to say impossible. Or perhaps you'd say, "yes, but if you were playing a 2012 ball and a 2012 driver, you would have hit it 350 metres", which of course is nonsense.

What is the secret perhaps? Recently I went to a club fitter & had all of my shafts replaced & CPM matched. I'm now playing a House of Forged "Patriot" shaft in my driver at 44 inches & hitting more drives out of the middle & much longer distances. In essence, I have a shaft that's performing well & the ball is being hit out of the middle of the face way more.

Going through the shaft fitting process was an incredible eye opener. All of my irons had True Temper R300 but were actually playing to senior flex specs!! They were replaced with KBS Tour stiff. My hybrid & wood shafts were all replaced with House of Forged "Patriot" shafts (which is a stiff flex). I can't recommend the experience/process highly enough.

Basically, my club fitter does not trust the labels on factory fitted shafts. He only trusts his CPM machine. He said that in his experience Titleist and Mizuno irons' shafts were the closest to true flex.

I just shake my head now at people who go and buy off the rack at the local retailer. There's a fair chance the shaft will be absolute garbage & unsuited.

Well, those are my thoughts. Anybody else have some comments about their experiences?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
if you don't mind me asking, how much was the fitting?

I knew the fitter so he looked after me. It was between $600 & $700. I didn't have the 3 wood done (as I don't use it anymore) or the two wedges done. I had the 3 iron done (even though it sits in the cupboard) just to keep the iron set matched.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Sounds like a good deal. I would like o walk into someplace like that with a box full of Wishon heads and have at it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I would argue that you could use clubs from 2000 and as long as they were fit to you and your swing you wouldn't lose much distance or accuracy.

I can't wait to have the time and money to justify a fitting like that! Good stuff TTR!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So that means you would have kicked my ass even more? Jeez! Looking forward to seeing your h/c tumble in advance of the return leg in Ireland.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
So that means you would have kicked my ass even more? Jeez! Looking forward to seeing your h/c tumble in advance of the return leg in Ireland.

I might even bring 2013 balls with me. I'll be driving 375m for sure!! :)

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
TTR - Your experiences are one of the reasons our business is doing so well....the OEMS as well as many club "Hobbiests" will slap in anything based on the label and never check for accuracy....

Or we get the hobbiests who does work for friends and does not realize that even though he installs decent shafts...he doesn't frequency match...making all but one club un-usable....

These people are not only the same that we make money from correcting their errors and re-educating their customers...but also the same ones who put a bad taste in the mouths of other players who think they are fitted the best...when in actuality, it's the worst...so the player either gives up or goes straight OEM.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
TTR - Your experiences are one of the reasons our business is doing so well....the OEMS as well as many club "Hobbiests" will slap in anything based on the label and never check for accuracy....

Or we get the hobbiests who does work for friends and does not realize that even though he installs decent shafts...he doesn't frequency match...making all but one club un-usable....

These people are not only the same that we make money from correcting their errors and re-educating their customers...but also the same ones who put a bad taste in the mouths of other players who think they are fitted the best...when in actuality, it's the worst...so the player either gives up or goes straight OEM.

Thanks indacup. I can't speak highly enough of the experience. I'm converted to using a proper club fitter for good. :)

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
although the OEM's are getting better on the custom fitting aspects. i still do alot of retro fitting on current sets or just straight new builds with name brands. especially with stock graphite shafts- worst.. most custom iron orders come in fine - lie lofts- swing weight - flex - always check them out and as expected with mass production - there is exceptions that need fixing. just the good lesson here is to get fitted ..

🔥 Latest posts