• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blades

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Am I the only one who even with a high cap feels more comfortable/confident with a blade iron? A straight up club with no offset and no frills frames the ball so much better to me. I would agree that mishits will lose more distance, but is that a bad thing for ones game? I think if one resolves to take the game serious and will be putting in the practice time blades shouldn't be ruled out. The feedback is undeniable. It won't always tell you things are ok, but if masking flaws is not what you're looking for then that's a good thing. What do y'all think?

You won't influence me because I already have clubs that are a half a step away from blades and will be getting some blades when I can no matter what y'all say. Just wanna hear what you think.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Am I the only one who even with a high cap feels more comfortable/confident with a blade iron? A straight up club with no offset and no frills frames the ball so much better to me. I would agree that mishits will lose more distance, but is that a bad thing for ones game? I think if one resolves to take the game serious and will be putting in the practice time blades shouldn't be ruled out. The feedback is undeniable. It won't always tell you things are ok, but if masking flaws is not what you're looking for then that's a good thing. What do y'all think?

You won't influence me because I already have clubs that are a half a step away from blades and will be getting some blades when I can no matter what y'all say. Just wanna hear what you think.
You seem overly dedicated to a historically traditional club situation. Are you afraid of change? How do you feel about your mother?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've played several sets, the best being a set of Hogan Apex Blades. Anybody with a half way decent game can play blade short irons, to me that is where the biggest difference was. The pw was money.

Mid and long irons, they are tougher. Play what you want though, it's not like we are making a living at this game. I will say that having played forged cb's, blades and now Ping i3's-the Pings are stupid easy to hit.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
what is it about blades that make them preferable for accuracy? Feel is not accuracy, nor is it shot control so what is the point of the design?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Remember Tricky, golf is a game played on a 5.5" course. If knowing he is hitting blades make the golfer hit better shots, it doesn't really matter.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Remember Tricky, golf is a game played on a 5.5" course. If knowing he is hitting blades make the golfer hit better shots, it doesn't really matter.
Hey im good with a guy who has confidence in his abilility to use a small tool.

Im just askin why the small tool is better than the bigger tool.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
You seem overly dedicated to a historically traditional club situation. Are you afraid of change? How do you feel about your mother?
I don't know about overly dedicated. And it's not for any deep seeded reason, It's just what I like.
Hmmm, being afraid of change??? As in? I play almost a new set every year, i've had an adjustable driver, my 3w has slots in the crown and sole, I own a fybrid, I have a cb wedge... traditional? Afraid of change? I oft-wonder where you draw your conclusions from.

As for my mother, i'll give you a pass because you haven't dug deep enough into the site to know any better. If you must know I feel like the way she passed was way too quick and tragic. I wish she was still here.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

I don't know that a small tool is better. TO ME, a lot of blades just set up to the ball better and seem like they'll have better turf interaction. It's like a club that doesn't have any offsets or bias is more true and actually easier to control. I hit the irons I have better than any club i've had. Of the clubs i've had they have the least offset and the only heads that were smaller were the Ping S59's I had.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I don't know about overly dedicated. And it's not for any deep seeded reason, It's just what I like.

Why do you like it.

Hmmm, being afraid of change??? As in?

As in blades from an earlier date shorter game.

I play almost a new set every year, i've had an adjustable driver, my 3w has slots in the crown and sole, I own a fybrid, I have a cb wedge... traditional? Afraid of change? I oft-wonder where you draw your conclusions from.

Im not concluding, I am asking where your thesis is being generated from.

As for my mother, i'll give you a pass because you haven't dug deep enough into the site to know any better. If you must know I feel like the way she passed was way too quick and tragic. I wish she was still here.

Im sorry for your loss and I am sure It doesnt change how you feel about your mother. That sentence was an allusion to the classic Freudian question which had a basic assumption that people are stuck in a mental mode that they are unaware of and only through bringing that out of them might they progress on their own initiative via an awareness of their own motivations.

Am I the only one who even with a high cap feels more comfortable/confident with a blade iron?

From where comes the the idea that that design cannot be improved upon? Jason Day recently took the event with a modern, blade inspired design iron.

A straight up club with no offset and no frills frames the ball so much better to me.

You only see the topline, what goes on underneath?

I would agree that mishits will lose more distance, but is that a bad thing for ones game?

Yes it sucks.

I think if one resolves to take the game serious and will be putting in the practice time blades shouldn't be ruled out.

They should be if there are better choices.

The feedback is undeniable.

I agree blades have the feedback, like they also have the short yet straight mishit.

It won't always tell you things are ok, but if masking flaws is not what you're looking for then that's a good thing. What do y'all think?

Training clubs is what I think. People should start with them when they pick up the game.

You won't influence me because I already have clubs that are a half a step away from blades and will be getting some blades when I can no matter what y'all say.

Hardheaded Yankee.

Just wanna hear what you think.

No you don't.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I don't know that a small tool is better. TO ME, a lot of blades just set up to the ball better and seem like they'll have better turf interaction. It's like a club that doesn't have any offsets or bias is more true and actually easier to control. I hit the irons I have better than any club i've had. Of the clubs i've had they have the least offset and the only heads that were smaller were the Ping S59's I had.
I particularly agree with turf interaction. Blades go through turf like a knife through butter.

What shot behavior would you trade that characteristic for?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country

I think a smaller head is easier to hit off of tight lies, out of the rough, fairway sand and other bad lies. Off the tee, bigger is probably better though. Just my opinion.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I think a smaller head is easier to hit off of tight lies, out of the rough, fairway sand and other bad lies. Off the tee, bigger is probably better though. Just my opinion.
I agree, my biggest variable is always my contact as a product of my swing inconsistencies. The tech they are bringing perhaps improves that, but then one can get sloppy as the downside to a different head design. So where is the balance point, like cb heads? The center mass idea is the best part of blade design to me, and that allows the smaller head that cuts so nicely through a bad lie. but man the mishits are brutal. Are these new designs a better balance of pro vs con? Its not that they are chsnging physics, but rather are they balancing characteristics in a package that all things considered net out to better overall scoring ability? Speedblades are the latest offering I am aware of in centermass forgiveness.

Speedblades was what Jason Day was using to GIR and get those birdies on the French Phenom.

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I agree, my biggest variable is always my contact as a product of my swing inconsistencies. The tech they are bringing perhaps improves that, but then one can get sloppy as the downside to a different head design. So where is the balance point, like cb heads?
I think so. I like a mixed set. I like a wider sole with longer irons.

OP
nututhugame

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
what is it about blades that make them preferable for accuracy? Feel is not accuracy, nor is it shot control so what is the point of the design?
While feel is not accuracy directly it is my belief that being able to feel differences in strikes can contribute to one becoming a more accurate shot maker. By way of that last belief I also believe it plays a big part in shot control. By way of both of those beliefs I believe that is the purpose of the design.

I particularly agree with turf interaction. Blades go through turf like a knife through butter.

What shot behavior would you trade that characteristic for?
None. The irons I have now don't really have any saving grace that I will miss if/when I get blades. When a shot of mine goes astray I know it's because I swung the club like shit. I'm OK with that, in fact that's how I want it. That's the point. The blades I want just take that characteristic just a little bit further and they look fantastic to me.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.