• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Breaking My Tee with my drives...good or bad?

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
tried the push down, pull it back up alittle idea yesterday...it worked sometimes.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
It might be a useful indicator of something in certain areas, but I don't think it means a whole lot in others. I break the tee almost always here in central GA, yet when I was in Florida in October I only broke one tee in three days -- and that was with my thumb, because I didn't want the bad drive I just hit to follow me to the next tee box. I know my swing didn't change from GA to FL, but the firmness of the soil certainly did.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
Also take into account how hard the ground in the tee box is. It's superstition on my part but I use a tee only once, then it goes in the garbage.

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
United States United States
I don't think it shows much, save for how deep you put your tee in the ground, and the hardness of the ground. That being said, if you break tees, go buy one pack of FlyTees. Only one pack, since you will die with them still intact. I found these last spring at a closeout at Kmart, and popped for a bright lime green pack of 30. After a full summer and fall, maybe 25-30 rounds, I have used exactly one FlyTee. And it is still in my bag...
Impossible to break.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Holy necro thread...

When I find the unbreakable tee's I use them...typically for one shot, because if I don't break the tee, it flies in to never never land.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Hate it when I break or lose a tee. Expensive game! What do you think... they grow on trees??:)

I have a metal file box in the basement completely full of tees. Have to empty my "tee pouch" at least three times/season. I seldom break a tee... hard to do with a 55 mph swing speed. :>) When I lean over to pick up my own tee, I can quite often pick up another couple. It's always amazed me how many perfectly good tees players will leave behind.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've been out of tees for awhile now. My last 3 or so rounds I've just been picking tees up of the boxes. If I can't find a good tee, I'll just use my 3 wood. I really need to have the wife pick me up about a 1000.

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Try pushing the tee forward and backwards while in the ground to loosen up the dirt right in front and behind it. Should soften the impact and spring out of the ground rather than get stuck and snap.

satchmodog

Sep 11, 2017
Country
If youre breaking tees, chances are youre hitting down on the ball, which isnt a good thing when hitting driver.
If you are hitting up on the ball, you usually wont break the tee.
I notice when my drives slice, I break a tee. Odd thing is I also sky the damn ball into orbit quite often. When I hit a drive dead nuts on and straight, the tee either gets pushed over forwards or goes flying through the air either behind me or in front. So yes, when you are snapping tees you are either burying long tees too deep or hitting down on the ball with a more iron type swing. Or both!!

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online