1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brush Tees or Normal Tees?

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by outperform, Jul 14, 2008.

1. outperform

outperform Extreme Amateur

Do brush tees really make a big difference? Do you recommend them? Or are normal tees better. I'm new to the game so I wanted to know which is best. Thanks for the help!

2. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

I like reusable tees, but I don't like the Brush Tee. I've been using the 4 Yards More Golf Tee, and it's been working great. I don't think it does squat as far as adding distance, but I like only having to carry one or two tees, and I also like not littering the course.

3. Pa Jayhawk

Pa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I buy zero frictions not because I buy into the entire farce (IMO) of gaining distance, but for what Eracer Mentioned in that they are pretty much indestructible and a tee will last me about 5-10 rounds. One less thing to have to deal with restocking on and off the course.
    http://www.zerofrictiontees.com/bio.html

For short ones, I usually just use regular ones, the zero frictions that do break, or usually the broken ones on the tee box that are usually lying around as a first option. Have yet to see the new shorter zero frictions in the store, or I would probably buy them.

4. wirehair

wirehair Life's too short to drink cheap wine.

Brush tees are like visors & golf sandals. :prop:

5. Eracer

And non-alcoholic beer...[​IMG]

6. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

United States United States
    I have a pack of those from the show I keep forgetting to throw in the bag. How long do they last before you need to replace them? I have been using the Zero Frictions for a while, but I hate trying to place the ball on top of them as it falls off way too easily. The best thing about Zero Frictions is that the only ones I have had to replace are the ones I have lost. I have yet to break one.

7. CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower Well-Known Member

That and if you run into some hard ground at the teebox and you're trying to push it in with the ball and it slips it can cause a pretty nasty cut on your hand. Those prongs are fairly sharp.

8. Eracer

They seem to last a good long while. I have yet to damage one.

9. Pa Jayhawk

Pa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

That is one thing about the zero frictions, I don't use them in the winter because if you manage to get them in the ground without breaking, they break on almost every tee shot it seems. Usually go back to regular tees when the ground gets hard.

... but Tim wouldn't know anything about that unless he has some liquid nitrogen experiment gone awry. :D

10. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

If anything, I have the exact opposite problem. I have played some tee boxes and ranges that were so soft that it was hard to get the tee to stay vertical with the ball on it at my tee height for driver.

11. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

I've played along with guys using the brush tees. They seem to work okay. Don't really think it matters what you use if it works for you. :)

I like the Zero Frictions because they seldom break. I clip off the wooden ones on every drive. :)

I've "almost" bought the brush tees but they just look so... "hackerish"... :D

12. outperform

outperform Extreme Amateur

Alright. Thanks for all the help. It's good to know that they're not worth the money. Thanks everyone.

13. Fuzzifus

Fuzzifus Well-Known Member

I am partial to my Launcher Tees, there sweet...........

Launcher Tee

14. Eracer

I don't understand all these claims of "increased ball speed, launch angle, and distance." How can a tee possible affect any of those things? The tee holds the ball at a particular height. The club hits the ball and propels it well downrange before the head contacts the tee. There is no friction between the tee and the ball - at least not enough to overcome the energy transfer between the ball and the club.

15. Fuzzifus

Fuzzifus Well-Known Member

I don't either, but I do understand, "unbreakable". That is why I love the tees I use, I have used the same 2 tees all year and they are still going strong.......

16. LottaBalata

LottaBalata Well-Known Member

I use Brush Tees religiously as far as hitting my Driver. I wouldn't say that there is increased ball speed. . .And honestly, you guys are right, with a driver, I don't think a Tee can make too much difference. But, I have the same height tee every time, there's no question.

I have had the same 3 brush T's for over a year now, so that's one way of looking at it. Strangely enough, my latest golfin' buddy also uses Brush T's religiously. . .I think we're the ONLY 2 guys on my home course that use them.

Its all about feel & height for me.

I also use zero friction t's for my 3wood and irons. . .shorties--1 1/2 inch.

17. MGP

MGP Clubmaking Ho Supporting Member

I tried brush tees, they work OK but the bristles eventually get bent up and they don't work so well after a while. Kind of expensive too, IMO.

Then I moved on to Zero Friction tees. I liked them ok but had some problems with the shaft softening up (damn, it's hell getting old :laugh:) and found them hard to put in the ground sometimes. I also had a problem with the wind here in Kansas blowing the ball off the tee. Sometimes the ball would rock back and forth on the tee too, which sucks when you are concentrating on hitting your tee shot! Lastly, I broke the tines on several of them (must be my awesome swingspeed! :rolleyes:)

I finally moved on to Epoch tees and these bad boys are the dogs ballz. In about a season I haven't broken a single one and the ball stays on them really well. They also make a "shorty" version which is great for par 3's and teeing off with a fairway wood or hybrid. I had heard they had problems with them breaking in the earliest versions. I must have gotten the later model because I can't break the darn things -- the only reason I replace one is because it goes flying on my tee shot and I lose it.

18. JEFF4i

JEFF4i She lives! Supporting Member

I use wood tees.

I've used wood tees for every high (and low,to be fair) round I've ever played.

Money and time better spent in a better direction.

19. DrivetheGreen66

DrivetheGreen66 College Golfer

I use wood tees. I have used epoch and zero friction but i just prefer wood tees because you can break them off if you have to hit a fairway wood or a iron off a tee and on par 3's.
    IMHO wood tees are the best

20. sssmokin

sssmokin Retired and loving it Supporting Member

I'm another one for the zero friction tees. One less thing to have to stock up on.