• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brush Tees or Normal Tees?

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
Do brush tees really make a big difference? Do you recommend them? Or are normal tees better. I'm new to the game so I wanted to know which is best. Thanks for the help!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I like reusable tees, but I don't like the Brush Tee. I've been using the 4 Yards More Golf Tee, and it's been working great. I don't think it does squat as far as adding distance, but I like only having to carry one or two tees, and I also like not littering the course.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I buy zero frictions not because I buy into the entire farce (IMO) of gaining distance, but for what Eracer Mentioned in that they are pretty much indestructible and a tee will last me about 5-10 rounds. One less thing to have to deal with restocking on and off the course.
http://www.zerofrictiontees.com/bio.html

For short ones, I usually just use regular ones, the zero frictions that do break, or usually the broken ones on the tee box that are usually lying around as a first option. Have yet to see the new shorter zero frictions in the store, or I would probably buy them.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Brush tees are like visors & golf sandals. :prop:
And non-alcoholic beer...
icon10.gif

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I like reusable tees, but I don't like the Brush Tee. I've been using the 4 Yards More Golf Tee, and it's been working great. I don't think it does squat as far as adding distance, but I like only having to carry one or two tees, and I also like not littering the course.

I have a pack of those from the show I keep forgetting to throw in the bag. How long do they last before you need to replace them? I have been using the Zero Frictions for a while, but I hate trying to place the ball on top of them as it falls off way too easily. The best thing about Zero Frictions is that the only ones I have had to replace are the ones I have lost. I have yet to break one.

CosmosMpower

Jun 26, 2008
I have a pack of those from the show I keep forgetting to throw in the bag. How long do they last before you need to replace them? I have been using the Zero Frictions for a while, but I hate trying to place the ball on top of them as it falls off way too easily. The best thing about Zero Frictions is that the only ones I have had to replace are the ones I have lost. I have yet to break one.

That and if you run into some hard ground at the teebox and you're trying to push it in with the ball and it slips it can cause a pretty nasty cut on your hand. Those prongs are fairly sharp.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
They seem to last a good long while. I have yet to damage one.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
That and if you run into some hard ground at the teebox and you're trying to push it in with the ball and it slips it can cause a pretty nasty cut on your hand. Those prongs are fairly sharp.
That is one thing about the zero frictions, I don't use them in the winter because if you manage to get them in the ground without breaking, they break on almost every tee shot it seems. Usually go back to regular tees when the ground gets hard.

... but Tim wouldn't know anything about that unless he has some liquid nitrogen experiment gone awry. :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
... but Tim wouldn't know anything about that unless he has some liquid nitrogen experiment gone awry. :D

If anything, I have the exact opposite problem. I have played some tee boxes and ranges that were so soft that it was hard to get the tee to stay vertical with the ball on it at my tee height for driver.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've played along with guys using the brush tees. They seem to work okay. Don't really think it matters what you use if it works for you. :)

I like the Zero Frictions because they seldom break. I clip off the wooden ones on every drive. :)

I've "almost" bought the brush tees but they just look so... "hackerish"... :D

OP
O

outperform

Extreme Amateur
Jul 14, 2008
Alright. Thanks for all the help. It's good to know that they're not worth the money. Thanks everyone.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I don't understand all these claims of "increased ball speed, launch angle, and distance." How can a tee possible affect any of those things? The tee holds the ball at a particular height. The club hits the ball and propels it well downrange before the head contacts the tee. There is no friction between the tee and the ball - at least not enough to overcome the energy transfer between the ball and the club.

Fuzzifus

Jun 12, 2005
I don't understand all these claims of "increased ball speed, launch angle, and distance." How can a tee possible affect any of those things? The tee holds the ball at a particular height. The club hits the ball and propels it well downrange before the head contacts the tee. There is no friction between the tee and the ball - at least not enough to overcome the energy transfer between the ball and the club.

I don't either, but I do understand, "unbreakable". That is why I love the tees I use, I have used the same 2 tees all year and they are still going strong.......

🔥 Latest posts